Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times

Advertisements

I don't see how anybody can call NC "Mid-Atlantic. It is purely southern. And VA? It is southern as well but blends into the Mid-Atlantic. I think of the VA part of Delmarva that puts it there as it shares a lot with MD and DE. Salisbury, MD is the main city of the region.

Personally, I always thought of (and was taught) that the Mid-Atlantic was VA up to extreme Southern NJ. With the NJ part being the Northeast and the VA part being the south. Think of the NC/VA border up to the MD/PA boarder carried eastward to the coast. MD and DE are the quintessential Mid-Atlantic states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
NOVA is most definitely the Mid-Atlantic. To say otherwise would be pretty silly.
Until they rename Lee Highway, NOVA is still part of the south.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:24 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
If one holds to the orthodoxy that a state cannot be partitioned to different regions (e.g. northern Virginia being mid-Atlantic, the rest being southern), then VA and NC are Southern. If not, Northern Virginia is at least Mid-Atlantic and the rest Southern. Under no definition could I ever consider all of Virginia Mid-Atlantic, let alone North Carolina.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
It's interesting how regional designations that used to be delineated by state lines are now mainly delineated by urban/metropolitan areas. You can even see this when it comes to certain regions within states.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't see how anybody can call NC "Mid-Atlantic. It is purely southern. And VA? It is southern as well but blends into the Mid-Atlantic. I think of the VA part of Delmarva that puts it there as it shares a lot with MD and DE. Salisbury, MD is the main city of the region.

Personally, I always thought of (and was taught) that the Mid-Atlantic was VA up to extreme Southern NJ. With the NJ part being the Northeast and the VA part being the south. Think of the NC/VA border up to the MD/PA boarder carried eastward to the coast. MD and DE are the quintessential Mid-Atlantic states.
Where have you been taught that? Historically, mid-Atlantic are the states in the Northeast that do not belong to New England. The quintessential mid-Atlantic states are NY, NJ, and PA. Historically, VA is the South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Mid-Atlantic in my opinion refers more to geography, since if one looks at a map North Carolina and Virginia are squarely in the middle of the Atlantic Coast between Maine and Florida. The term "Southern" is more cultural than geographic, and of course North Carolina fits there as well.
Geography has nothing to do with it. If NC is mid-Atlantic then Colorado is Midwestern...(actual geographical middle is west of the Mississippi, Midwest is not in the middle and not in the west). All these terms are cultural.

Last edited by Gantz; 12-05-2018 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 08:08 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Until they rename Lee Highway, NOVA is still part of the south.
Mid-Atlantic does not preclude one from being within the South (or the Northeast). It is a subregion that includes both northern and southern areas...

I really don't get what's so difficult about this. An area can be of the Great Lakes, but be either Northeastern or Midwestern. An area can be of Appalachia but be either northern or southern. These hard lines you guys like to use to define areas is laughable...

Old 12-05-2018, 08:24 AM

644 posts, read 1,019,393 times
I was just thinking about how the Pacific Northwest distinguishes itself from the rest of the west coast, but is still obviously/geographically the west coast..

Has anyone here ever heard the term Atlantic Southeast? It could mean GA, SC, NC and part of VA.

I've never heard it used before, but I'm rarely ever in the southeast, so I wouldn't know if it's used locally.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I’ve never heard of NC being referred to as Mid-Atlantic before. Is this a recent trend? Who is doing so? Should I do it?

Virginia I’ve heard as Mid-Atlantic fairly frequently.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 AM

89 posts, read 120,611 times
You cannot lump NC in with VA when referring to the mid Atlantic. Nova, Richmond and Hampton Roads are definitely mid Atlantic. The term definitely doesn’t apply the more western parts of Virginia. If you look up business with “Mid Atlantic” in the title from Hampton roads, I garauntee you’d get more results than you could count.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romedot View Post
You cannot lump NC in with VA when referring to the mid Atlantic. Nova, Richmond and Hampton Roads are definitely mid Atlantic. The term definitely doesn’t apply the more western parts of Virginia. If you look up business with “Mid Atlantic” in the title from Hampton roads, I garauntee you’d get more results than you could count.
Precisely. I don't even view NC in the same light as I do Virginia.

Virginia the state is undoubtedly Southern while also being undoubtedly mid-Atlantic, with the northern most portions actually being tied into the NEC, but still retaining their own south-lite traits at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.