Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:09 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Isn't gluttony a sin? In any event, so long as they do not receive any form of publicly assisted health care, I suppose I don't care... but unfortunately they do, so I do care. It is about respect for oneself. If you don't respect yourself, you are less likely to pursue an education, less likely to take care of your body, more likely to get a tatoo, more likely to do drugs, more likely to drink too much, etc. No need for fairy tales to enter into the equation- the south has a higher % of lazy losers.
Don't get mad at the south just because they have better food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Paula Deen doesn't help either LOL!
But her food sure looks mighty tasty!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Well after reading the link, this study was a phone survey, not an actual weighing of individuals. So the survey is based entirely on people's responses. I'm not implying the results wouldn't come out the same, but we are relying on people telling the truth about their weight. Even with these results, the least obese state is still quite obese.

Further down in the article, studies done in 2005 and 2006 indicated an adult obesity rate closer to 34%, when actually weighing was done.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And it's disgusting. And yes, I'm from Texas. I never liked that crap.
I'm sorry to hear that my Texas Brother, I'll remember to pray for you (Somewhere Taps is being played.)

Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Don't get mad at the south just because they have better food.
hahaha, yea true dat, true dat

Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
My lawyer will draw up the papers shortly to send them for you sign! How about we call the company "TexSoon Frokra, Inc."

I agree with you 100% about it being the best of the best. Only thing is, when you mentioned restaurants all over the South serving it, I never much cared for that heavily battered huge type one usually gets when eating out (this same type is often found in the frozen food section).

IMHO, the real McCoy is fresh from either the garden or produce counter, sliced, lightly coated with seasoned cornmeal (NEVER battered first with milk, egg, etc, because okra has its own "sticky" LOL), then fried. Some smaller cafes will serve this true home-style okra, but it has been my experience most places just deep fry the pre-battered and breaded frozen stuff...

LOL I had the same experience with my ex's when we would visit their families in both Kansas and Ohio. One guy paid the compliment to me of saying "I am glad you can't find this stuff up here because I might be eating it all the time." LOL

Along those lines, this is a reason why many northerners have never heard of it. It is one of those plants tailor made for Southern climates, as it thrives in hot weather. It just doesn't grow well -- if at all -- up North.
Yeh, Brother....I'm with ya on the restaurant okra...ain't as good as Grandma's:-)

I love to dip mine in BBQ sauce as well. Man, ain't nothin' better than some long spare pork ribs (smothered in BBQ sauce), fried okra, and a tall glass of sweet tea to wash it all down.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Growing up in West Virginia in the late 50's/early 60's, my mother regularly prepared okra, hominy, sweet tea, and we all sat down at the table for family meals. I had a few friends over for lunch a few days ago, and I just had some cantaloupe for dessert, and I asked them if they wanted salt on theirs, and they hadn't heard of salting melons. It made me wonder if this is a regional thing.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Wow salt on Muskmelon. I've never heard of that.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Growing up in West Virginia in the late 50's/early 60's, my mother regularly prepared okra, hominy, sweet tea, and we all sat down at the table for family meals. I had a few friends over for lunch a few days ago, and I just had some cantaloupe for dessert, and I asked them if they wanted salt on theirs, and they hadn't heard of salting melons. It made me wonder if this is a regional thing.
Yep, mom and dad always (still do) salted watermelon and cantaloupe. I don't know if it is a regional thing or not, but we always did it where I grew up in Oklahoma and I've seen folks here in North Texas do it as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
Looks like Indiana is no longer on the top 10 list, but can it stay off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.