Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times

Advertisements

Im not a big fan of the Spire, but its design is original, not some box that most people are accustomed to seeing.

As for Chicago crumbling? Thats rediculous! The old buildings in Chicago are meticulously upkept (the Rookery, Wrigley, etc). They wouldnt be safe for occupancy if that was the case.... Besides, some of the buildings look old on the outside, but are bonafide gems on the interior (Pullman, Drake, Santa Fe buildings come to mind). We also have TONS of new buildings that are marble and absolutely stunning inside and out.

BTW, I never said the Spire is "fine", maybe its you thats smoking something? Anyways, sorry for the mix-up regarding your name. The other person who was banned was named "Houson1000" or something like that. My bad. I just figured you might be him/her, with a new user ID.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM

17 posts, read 11,497 times
Maybe it is just me, but if a building looks like it is going to implode at any moment from the outside, there is no way that I am going inside. No matter who built it, or lived in it. Sure, the historical parts are kept up like none other. But take a ride of the 'fingers on a chalk board' L and look at some of the buildings around there. I don't think that southwest side is what you in Chicago call the historic district. But even some of those places look better than what you find in the historic district.

This is why I had to get out of Chicago. The people there seriously can't accept that there city it not that great. They seem to think that because people visit once every five years, and say it is nice, that is heaven's gift to the world. I can't count how many people from there actually thought Chicago was the biggest city in the US. I am dead honest. I would like to know the ratio between those that visit Chicago, and end up staying, and like it, to that of the same category in Houston. I don't even need a survey to know the answer to that question. Our campus was on a decent side of town, and the average for windows being smashed out in cars was three to four every two years. I knew a girl who had her car broken into seven times in less than two years! When we all left Chicago we sold our cars there. We figured that if the people of Chicago wanted them so bad, they could have them. Note: this was on a decent side of town. I have lived in Houston for almost six months now, and my car hasn't been broken into once. I even live close'r' to a more run down side of the city.

For the record, I wouldn't be proud that Trump is building one of his nasty buildings into my town. He is nothing more than a rich loser that obviously needs to build big skyscapers to compensate for something. Mmm? But then of course most people in Chicago only care about money(even though the people in the other four big cities make more on average) so they will no doubt welcome Trump, his juvenile wife who is the same age as his daughter, and his golden house. I just wonder how many starving people he could feed in a year with his paycheck?

But be proud Chicago, the loser of the century is setting up shop in your backyard.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:15 PM

You need to do some research, thats all I gotta say. There is a reason that 9 million people call this area home. And if you think Houston is better, then you REALLY need to do some research. And dont talk about Chicagoans and their egos, if you want massive egos, look no further than Texas. Everythings bigger and better in Texas huh? LOL

Old 04-04-2007, 03:29 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
New York, without a doubt, is number one in the nation when it comes to breathtaking skylines. It's magnificent, colorful, composed of a wide variety of building sizes and styles, and covers a huge area. From miles away you can't fit the whole thing into a photograph!

Number 2 is Chicago, easily, for being almost what New York is.

Number 3 is more difficult to determine and I change my mind frequently on this. Great contenders include San Fran, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Miami, LA, Philadelphia, Houston, and Seattle. They're all great for different reasons.

I'm glad nobody voted for Phoenix! lol

Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And dont talk about Chicagoans and their egos, if you want massive egos, look no further than Texas. Everythings bigger and better in Texas huh? LOL
Yep. Pretty much. But Houston has a good skyline even if it is mainly modern. Hey, what do you expect...all city skylines west of the Mississippi are modern because we're not as old as the Rust Belt cities. (Chicago is apart of the Rust Belt, right? I don't want to look ignorant )
The Houston skyline is ok. I love the modernized style skylines. But I was born and raised here in Texas, so that's really all I see. Houston can't be compared to N.Y. or Chicago, but it's the best in the south and that's good enough for me.
Chicago and N.Y. are in the top two and they're in a class of their own. Those two cities are in world wide competion... Houston is battling Dallas for the best in Texas... and they're winning.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM

33 posts, read 213,891 times
I voted for NYC, the big apple, so majestic. It should be the US capitol.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yep. Pretty much. But Houston has a good skyline even if it is mainly modern. Hey, what do you expect...all city skylines west of the Mississippi are modern because we're not as old as the Rust Belt cities. (Chicago is apart of the Rust Belt, right? I don't want to look ignorant )
The Houston skyline is ok. I love the modernized style skylines. But I was born and raised here in Texas, so that's really all I see. Houston can't be compared to N.Y. or Chicago, but it's the best in the south and that's good enough for me.
Chicago and N.Y. are in the top two and they're in a class of their own. Those two cities are in world wide competion... Houston is battling Dallas for the best in Texas... and they're winning.
Chicago definitely lies in the rust belt area, but is not considered a rust belt city, its growing and too high-tech with TONS of good jobs. Chicago is, well, Chicago.

Oh, Id have to agree with Houstons skyline being better than Dallas', but Dallas' skyline isnt too shabby either.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 AM

153 posts, read 685,600 times

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/Smoker_03/pgh3.jpg (broken link)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/Smoker_03/viewFheinz.jpg (broken link)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/Smoker_03/viewFheinz1.jpg (broken link)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/Smoker_03/pncpark.jpg (broken link)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/Smoker_03/pncpark1.jpg (broken link)

From atop Mt. Washington you can look down and see all of Pittsburgh including the two stadiums.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:17 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,647 times
New York is New York is New York, there's no place like it anywhere! - that's what I tell people when I discuss various places in the USA.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Chicago. I mean I can understand how some of you may have chosen NYC, but I would have chosen NYC prior to 9/11. Currently, there's just nothing special about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.