Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times

Advertisements

South Florida....from about West Palm Beach and all points south....has a tropical monsoon climate. It fits every definition of that climate except for in the delusional minds of some of the posters who have left comments on this thread. I am in South Florida right now spending Thanksgiving with my in-laws in Boynton Beach, just south of WPB. There are palm trees all over the freakin' place. The average temperature for every month is above 64.4 degrees, summer is very humid and wet and winter is fairly dry and sunny. This is the definition of a Tropical Monsoon Season Climate as defined by pretty much every climatologist on the planet. Anyone who says S. FL does not have a tropical climate...is wrong. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
South Florida....from about West Palm Beach and all points south....has a tropical monsoon climate. It fits every definition of that climate except for in the delusional minds of some of the posters who have left comments on this thread. I am in South Florida right now spending Thanksgiving with my in-laws in Boynton Beach, just south of WPB. There are palm trees all over the freakin' place. The average temperature for every month is above 64.4 degrees, summer is very humid and wet and winter is fairly dry and sunny. This is the definition of a Tropical Monsoon Season Climate as defined by pretty much every climatologist on the planet. Anyone who says S. FL does not have a tropical climate...is wrong. Sorry.
It get's quite cold in SoFla at times though.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It get's quite cold in SoFla at times though.
And at times it is raining heavily in Las Vegas or Phoenix....doesn't mean they aren't desert cities. Climates are defined by what is "typical" weather patterns/averages to define the climate of a region...not "what can happen". Every location on earth has weather anomalies. If we defined all climates/climate zones by what could happen there every once in a while; there would be no defined climates.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I didn't know if you meant Coconut Palms or any palms.
Coconut palms. Tall coconut palms are only found in true tropical climates.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You seem to think that Hawaii is some tropical haven. It's not lol. To you everything on the west coast is warm and the east is not. Compare Honolulu to a TRUE tropical city La Romana, in the DR.

East Coast/Atlantic Ocen FTW.

Average Weather for La Romana, * - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Honolulu, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

Stay with your cold waters. Find me a place in Hawaii that's warmer than ANYTHING in the caribbean. You want to pick on Miami? Ok. Two can play that game.
Hawaii's waters may be cooler than some places in the Caribbean, but they are by no means cold. Winter water of 77F is great. And actually, Honolulu is warmer than Nassau in winter-water and land. So there, I found you somewhere in Hawaii than the Caribbean.

Also, I don't care that the water in Hawaii isn't 87F. That puts you at risk for hurricanes, and you can't enjoy the water when, in summer, it is 95F with 80% humidity. You can have that, I'll enjoy my 83F water in summer with 85F weather, tropical breezes, and pleasant humidity levels without getting flattened by a hurricane, while you get eaten alive by mosquitoes or blown away by strong winds

Pacific/Hawaii FTW

Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Oh, and also, La Romana's temperatures are not much higher than Hawaii's, which, by the way, IS a true tropical climate. Just giving you a geography/climatology lesson.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami is capital of tropical Americas. They can grow tropical plants like lipstick palms, royal palms, Jamaican talls, Malaysian dwarfs and so on. No other city tropical city in the Western Hemisphere is as impactful to the tropical community as Miami.

Honolulu is more impactful in terms of tropical growth, since it is warmer in winter and does not get those cold fronts Miami does. Also, lipstick palms die in Miami from those cold snaps, so they're pretty marginal there.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Hawaii is out in the middle of the pacific ocean....the most isolated population center on the planet. Are you joking with this "impactfulness" bs? Obviously Miami has more of a regional impact on the tropics.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
And absolutely 0 of them are native to the area.
Absolutely false, Washingtonia Filifera commonly known as the Arizona or California Fan Palm is native to the lower Sonoran Desert and the most common palm in the Valley. Native desert palms grow still in the Kofa Mts. between PHX and Yuma. This palm does great in Phoenix's climate and it's in every neighborhood in town, besides Queen, Date, and other types that do well in PHX.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Hawaii is out in the middle of the pacific ocean....the most isolated population center on the planet. Are you joking with this "impactfulness" bs? Obviously Miami has more of a regional impact on the tropics.
Except that Miami is not actually in the tropics, nor is it truly tropical. Puerto Rico might be a better example, but it seems all you-and most people on this board-care about is the mainland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.