Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times

Advertisements

there are plenty of affluent black families living all over nyc. there are a lot in queens...however if you look for negativity, you will find it, as you would anywhere. if you want to find poverty in a city, or 50 year old ppl that should be out working but instead are out chillin on the block, you will find that everywhere. i've seen it in the south. i have plenty of examples of what bizchick is saying, only they occured in the south.

i have plenty of examples of that in the north as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Why thank you. And I was not intending for my post to malign the North at all.
are you sure...?

Quote:
As I was in NYC for grad school, I also came across many young African American men and women who were well-educated and prosperous, whether they were from Westchester or Jersey.
couldn't be from NYC tho, huh? had to be from westchester county or northern nj.

Quote:
I can see myself living in NYC in the near future, but it saddens me how conspicuous the disparities are, it's really like going back in time IMO.
stop it.

as many opportunities as there are in NYC and you say that its like going back in time for "black folk."

negro please.

just because a few ppl in the projects want to act like stereotypes doesn't mean that every black person in nyc is like that. we have plenty of middle class, upper middle class black families all over nyc. plenty. we have plenty of good schools here.

so a few ppl don't take the opportunities that surround them. and? if they wouldn't do it in NYC then what makes anyone think that they'd do it in ATL? or DC? or whatever southern city ___ thinks is better than NYC?? they wouldn't take an opportunity if it was handed to them, as seen on T.I.'s show (on MTV or BET or whatever channel it was on). as seen everyday in life.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
are you sure...?

couldn't be from NYC tho, huh? had to be from westchester county or northern nj.

stop it.

as many opportunities as there are in NYC and you say that its like going back in time for "black folk."

negro please.

just because a few ppl in the projects want to act like stereotypes doesn't mean that every black person in nyc is like that. we have plenty of middle class, upper middle class black families all over nyc. plenty. we have plenty of good schools here.

so a few ppl don't take the opportunities that surround them. and? if they wouldn't do it in NYC then what makes anyone think that they'd do it in ATL? or DC? or whatever southern city ___ thinks is better than NYC?? they wouldn't take an opportunity if it was handed to them, as seen on T.I.'s show (on MTV or BET or whatever channel it was on). as seen everyday in life.
Alright everyone please remain calm. It's not that serious. Anywho, I would say that in the north or at the very least in DC there is such a sharp divide between the haves and have nots. In the south there are different levels of black success but up north there seems to be more of a divide.

I don't think bizchick was really dogging New York. She was pointing out what she observed. The problem seems to be she wasn't like NYC is the greatest city in the world. NYC isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's not a bad thing.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Oh yeah going back to the original topic. I say that plenty of black travel. As has already been stated there are more white folks than black folks in this country so of course you're going to see more caucasions at the airport.

I can only speak for me but I'm black and I like to travel. I've been to a few countries and want to travel more. But now I'm more about saving my money after the disastrous year I had while underemployed.

I think at the end we have to be careful with making blanket statements.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Anywho, I would say that in the north or at the very least in DC there is such a sharp divide between the haves and have nots. In the south there are different levels of black success but up north there seems to be more of a divide.
DC is part of the south, tho...

how about we say that in certain cities, regardless of region, there is a sharp divide among the have and havenots.

Quote:
I don't think bizchick was really dogging New York.
i do.

Quote:
She was pointing out what she observed. The problem seems to be she wasn't like NYC is the greatest city in the world. NYC isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's not a bad thing.
the problem is not that she isn't saying that nyc isn't the greatest in the world (which it is, so...). its fine if its not her cup of tea but to talk about nyc like there's a bunch of grandfathers on the block, slinging rocks...a bunch of 17 year old black and brown kids with 1st grade reading level skills, and a bunch of low income, government assisted families in nyc in comparison to the wealthy black aristocrats in the south is, well...

as if we have a bunch of illiterate tracy morganish knuckleheads running around and atl has a bunch of fonzeworth bentleys frolicking to their local libraries.

again, if you look in the projects you get the projects.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Again, nowhere in my post did I say there were not plenty of middle class African Americans in NYC. When people start exaggerating they begin to make strawman arguments that don't fit at all the actual point being argued.

I didn't even say northern NJ, you are straight putting words in my mouth, and really that was by chance that I thought of those two areas first. They're all a part of the metro and I was not segregating the two.

If you want to be mad about any negative portrayal of NYC you need direct that energy to your fellow NYer nyrican who described Black New Yorkers the way you're claiming I am. My post was in fact to counteract the BS he was saying about Black people.

Quote:
the problem is not that she isn't saying that nyc isn't the greatest in the world (which it is, so...). its fine if its not her cup of tea but to talk about nyc like there's a bunch of grandfathers on the block, slinging rocks...a bunch of 17 year old black and brown kids with 1st grade reading level skills, and a bunch of low income, government assisted families in nyc in comparison to the wealthy black aristocrats in the south is, well...
Wtf are you talking about? Tell me where I said that NYC consists of a bunch of gov't assisted families? First of all, this is not true for black people across the board. Clearly, if you noticed the the point I made in my first post, blacks by and large don't conform to these stereotypes. And there are black hoods all over the country. But if you'd like to bury your head in the sand and ignore statistics about regional differences, be my guest.

Of course NYC has plenty of opportunities, where is that under dispute in any of my posts? What I'm referring to as going back in time is the disproportionate number of black people who do not have positions of power at the city level outside of city council, the frequent racial discrimination that occurs in the police force and fire department (both of which are headed by white men), the higher number of incidents of police brutality against black men, the higher percentage of black people who do not go to college, and higher levels of unemployment for black men and women in NYC, as I already stated. These are facts that cannot be disputed however personally affronted you feel by them.

The south is not perfect for black people, hell nowhere on this world is perfect for Black folks since we've all been subject to some form of colonization and imperialism. But statistically some places show to be more supportive of Black entrepreneurs, political hopefuls, and Black go-getters and are more likely to have successful Black people thriving in them.

Instead of taking the post personally, assess why someone, who lived in NYC and liked much of what it had to offer, would make the statements I did. Am I just "hating" and why would I be? Would I just make up stuff out of thin air, despite having a mother who was raised in Brooklyn and a grandmother who lived there for much of her life? And assess your own defensiveness of the matter. I certainly defend Atlanta frequently, but I'm not going to dispute facts either and I critcize it when it calls for it.

Quote:
are you sure...?

stop it.

negro please.

Last edited by bizchick86; 11-17-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Yeah, like terrance said, chill. it's going to be obvious that Black support, in general is going to be higher in the South due to the roots Black folks have there, the higher percentage of Blacks and Historically Black institutions that have been there, some going back about a century and a half. I understand why eek feels that way, because people automatically think of Black Northerners as being just urban, when there are many suburbs of metro areas with highly Black percentages that are nice that many people don't even know about.

Anyway, Black folks travel more than given credit for, but like it has been stated, the general reality of economics in terms of who has it racially, plays a part as to how, how much, when and where.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 PM

250 posts, read 706,653 times
first of all african americans are only 13% of the US population so unless you came to the US during holiday season or a particularly busy travel time you really aren't going to find a majority of travelers being african american even in atlanta since the airport itself is a major hub and the busiest in the world (as already pointed out). you will find alot of black people working at the atlanta airport though if it wasn't a holiday or special event cause they have to make money to do all of that traveling you are questioning . bottom line is you actually asked an interesting question that is better answered by a study than a general forum and what you experienced once at the airport.

btw, there actually are studies that can answer your question i know cause i heard about them on the news. i just vaguely remember the results so i can't really say.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
DC is part of the south, tho...

again, if you look in the projects you get the projects.
The whole DC is or isn't part of the south is an argument that won't die but no, I'm from Georgia I know what the south looks like and DC ain't it. Anywho, I don't think she was saying that everyone in NYC is doing all these bad things. But let's face reality shall we? You know there are some in NYC and other places doing this. NYC is a great city but let's not pretend there's nothing but smart educated people doing great things. I don't think she even mentioned 17 year old on 1st grade reading levels you did.

The truth of the matter is that there are black folks and folks in general who just have no interest in seeing the world. In some ways that's sad but in some others if they're happy and they're working hard and providing for their families it's just fine. I've traveled and tried to live the high life and now I've got tons of credit card debt so there's a flip side to everything. Do I regret the trip to Europe or Argentina? No not really. Oh yeah they love black boys in Argentina definitely recommended for the single dudes.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, like terrance said, chill. it's going to be obvious that Black support, in general is going to be higher in the South due to the roots Black folks have there, the higher percentage of Blacks and Historically Black institutions that have been there, some going back about a century and a half. I understand why eek feels that way, because people automatically think of Black Northerners as being just urban, when there are many suburbs of metro areas with highly Black percentages that are nice that many people don't even know about.

Anyway, Black folks travel more than given credit for, but like it has been stated, the general reality of economics in terms of who has it racially, plays a part as to how, how much, when and where.
I'm not sure who this "chill" is directed at, but I was objective and reasonable throughout.

For the record, my observations were only about NYC. Others who wanted to talk about the suburban or affluent areas of the North for Blacks as a whole are free to do so, but it's silly for anyone to assume I'm making a blanket statement about all of the North when I never made an assertion about an entire region, or even all blacks in NYC.

My post is based entirely on nyrican's misconceptions about Blacks based on his limited experience in NYC and the reality that numbers fare better for blacks as a whole outside of the North. If that cannot be understood, then I'm pretty much done. Those who got it can take my post as exactly as I presented it, nothing more nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.