Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 03:18 PM

76 posts, read 405,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Post#310
Athens is not for me. It's just a typical college town, which was nice when I was 18 - 25 years old, but I am somewhat older now and prefer a different crowd and lifestyle. Visited Savannah several times and seen all the houses and squares, since I do not drink any alcoholic beverages nor party anymore, it's not for me either, besides there was this awful stench that would not go away. And I made the mistake of going there during the summer, and the gnats and other biting insects told me to leave, so I did. Been to Augusta and Macon more times than I care to remember, great strides have been made in both places, but the leadership of the cities are still struggling to find an identity. Anyhow, for a middle size town with a small town feel I'll take Columbus. If I choose to move again, I might consider Atlanta, but that will be a stretch, because my favorite place of all the places I have lived is still Denver, CO.
Yes, Athens is the typical college town. Most of the students live within the downtown area. If you reside outside of the 2 mile radius of downtown, it is a little more peaceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
I really don't think I would appreciate Macon being put in the same perspective or"level" as Augusta.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM

66 posts, read 208,851 times
I still don't get this explain to me why a city barely 15 miles from each other are two seperate metro areas. Better yet if Warner Robins want to be its own metro shouldn't it consolidate with Houston i don't know about Peach since it is in both counties. Warner Robins doesnt really have an identity other than a military town it doesnt have many entertainment areas just a mall and a base. I mean even for a small cities Athens and Fort Valley are know as college towns throughout the state. Not alot of people in the state have even heard of Warner Robins.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
I still don't get this explain to me why a city barely 15 miles from each other are two seperate metro areas. Better yet if Warner Robins want to be its own metro shouldn't it consolidate with Houston i don't know about Peach since it is in both counties. Warner Robins doesnt really have an identity other than a military town it doesnt have many entertainment areas just a mall and a base. I mean even for a small cities Athens and Fort Valley are know as college towns throughout the state. Not alot of people in the state have even heard of Warner Robins.
MSA is a term created by the census bureau and commerce department.. and has a specific meaning. It has to do with an area where that has specific commuting patterns for employment... it is not necessarily congruent with urbanized areas, but most ppl misuse the term MSA to denote how "big" a city is. MSA is not a good barometer for that. I think the use of Urbanized areas are much better for getting a sense of how big a city is.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 PM

22 posts, read 120,776 times
Okay, i see you guys are dabating over which city is bigger Macon or Columbus, well acording to Wikipedia Augusta is the 3rd largest city in Georgia after Augusta and Atlanta. I couldn't find anything on Macon being bigger than Savannah or vice versa, so i don't know which city is in 4th place. The cold truth is that Columbus is a bigger city than Macon, but it's kinda hard to tell who the biggest by looking at the two skylines, because they look alot alike, so it's a good dabate to try and figure out which skyline is larger, or debating what large means, does it mean, that Macon has bigger towers? does it mean Columbus has a larger population than Macon? Does this mean that Macon has a larger Metro area than Columbus? Lastly what does the future look like for the two, and is one city growing faster than the other? They are both big little cities, and it would be nice to leave Atlanta, and travel a short distance to Macon or Columbus and see some huge progress and some growth in the economy, it would truly be nice to see some large sky scrapers go up in either city, i live in Atlanta, and it does bug me that's it the only world beta city in Georgia, I wish Georgia would grow like Texas and have multiple world beta cities like Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. Maybe Columbus and Macon will have skyscrapers one day, i hope to see this happen, as well as Augusta and Savannah, all these cities are beautiful and each have something historic and magical about them.

this is all my unbiased opinions. thanks.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBLAKE View Post
Okay, i see you guys are dabating over which city is bigger Macon or Columbus, well acording to Wikipedia Augusta is the 3rd largest city in Georgia after Augusta and Atlanta. I couldn't find anything on Macon being bigger than Savannah or vice versa, so i don't know which city is in 4th place. The cold truth is that Columbus is a bigger city than Macon, but it's kinda hard to tell who the biggest by looking at the two skylines, because they look alot alike, so it's a good dabate to try and figure out which skyline is larger, or debating what large means, does it mean, that Macon has bigger towers? does it mean Columbus has a larger population than Macon? Does this mean that Macon has a larger Metro area than Columbus? Lastly what does the future look like for the two, and is one city growing faster than the other? They are both big little cities, and it would be nice to leave Atlanta, and travel a short distance to Macon or Columbus and see some huge progress and some growth in the economy, it would truly be nice to see some large sky scrapers go up in either city, i live in Atlanta, and it does bug me that's it the only world beta city in Georgia, I wish Georgia would grow like Texas and have multiple world beta cities like Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. Maybe Columbus and Macon will have skyscrapers one day, i hope to see this happen, as well as Augusta and Savannah, all these cities are beautiful and each have something historic and magical about them.

this is all my unbiased opinions. thanks.

The skylines of Macon and Columbus look nothing alike, but the rest of the post looks good. Macon has a skyline, Columbus does not.

You could say Macon and Augusta's are somewhat similar...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 AM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
The skylines of Macon and Columbus look nothing alike, but the rest of the post looks good. Macon has a skyline, Columbus does not.

You could say Macon and Augusta's are somewhat similar...
I agree, you took the words right out of My mouth.... Downtown Macon and Columbus looks NOTHING alike......Columbus' Downtown makes it appears to be a much smaller town......

Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Washington, DC doesn't really have a skyline (no building can be taller than 13 stories) but it is bigger than Atlanta which has big skyline. Los Angeles has no where near the skyline of Chicago, but LA is bigger than Chicago. So the point is, that skylines are a very poor way for measuring how big a city is. I mean Myrtle Beach has a much bigger skyline than any of the 2nd tier cities in Georgia.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:06 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Washington, DC doesn't really have a skyline (no building can be taller than 13 stories) but it is bigger than Atlanta which has big skyline. Los Angeles has no where near the skyline of Chicago, but LA is bigger than Chicago. So the point is, that skylines are a very poor way for measuring how big a city is. I mean Myrtle Beach has a much bigger skyline than any of the 2nd tier cities in Georgia.
No one said that a skyline Makes a city larger, but it does make them appear that way.... The comments were made about Downtown Macon and Columbus looking nothing alike......and that Downtown Macon was more similar to DT Augusta than it was to DT Columbus.......

Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM

appearances are deceiving.. so what's the point? What's important? a city that looks bigger from a distance.. or one that feels big and urban when you are in the middle of it? I'm sure if you look at the overall density of the urban core of Columbus, Macon and Augusta.. they are pretty much the same. The Augusta metro just happens to sprawl over a greater area than the other two.. but as far as density.. the three are very comparable. The urban core of Savannah has a higher density.. even though it doesn't have a huge skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia