Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Those are really good points that the Democratic base often simply does not turnout for special elections.
Case in point: The 2008 runoff election for US Senate in GA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._Georgia,_2008

The Democratic voters, driven by enthusiasm for Obama in the General Election, couldn't be bothered to return to support Jim Martin in the runoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Another court loss for Kemp's effort to prevent as many people from voting as possible.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...ch-voting-case
I saw that. With this race coming down to the wire, every vote will matter, especially the ones that Kemp wants to block.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Georgia political website GeorgiaPol.com put a post up at 4:34pm on Friday reporting that Georgia Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Ted Metz put up a post on his Facebook page on Friday afternoon offering to drop out of the gubernatorial race in exchange for payment of his medical bills.

"Libertarian Candidate for Governor Appears to Offer to Drop Out for Medical Bill Payments" (GeorgiaPol.com)
https://www.georgiapol.com/2018/11/0...lw7NGF0gA9TlO8
It’s pointless as it would be too late anyway. The vast majority of people have likely voted already so he’d already have too many votes to prevent a runoff

Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,076 times
I have a feeling we are heading for a runoff.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:48 AM

815 posts, read 708,641 times
I could see how it would be possible for Abrams to win a runoff but I do think Kemp would have the advantage there. His voters turn out more reliably. Also, Metz’ voters would likely go to Kemp.

In any event, a runoff is looking less and less likely. Whites only made up 51% of the vote on Friday, bringing their overall percentage of the early vote down to 57%. Young voters were up sharply as well. The historical trend minority voters voting later in the process seems to be holding. Unless white Republicans totally dominate on Election Day, Kemp can’t win.

He needs whites to make up 60% of the vote and he needs to earn over three quarters of that vote. It seems highly unlikely that the early vote percentages are going to change that much on Election Day.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:20 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Also, Metz’ voters would likely go to Kemp.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Kemp's position on social issues along with a questionable Civil Rights record may leave a bad taste in the mouth of many Libertarians. It did mine and I will be casting my vote for the Democratic candidate come Tuesday.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I could see how it would be possible for Abrams to win a runoff but I do think Kemp would have the advantage there. His voters turn out more reliably. Also, Metz’ voters would likely go to Kemp.

In any event, a runoff is looking less and less likely. Whites only made up 51% of the vote on Friday, bringing their overall percentage of the early vote down to 57%. Young voters were up sharply as well. The historical trend minority voters voting later in the process seems to be holding. Unless white Republicans totally dominate on Election Day, Kemp can’t win.

He needs whites to make up 60% of the vote and he needs to earn over three quarters of that vote. It seems highly unlikely that the early vote percentages are going to change that much on Election Day.
Does anyone know where they’re pulling these race numbers from? They obviously didn’t exit poll 2 million people. Also keep in mind there is an “other” group of over 200,000 in there. For all we know 150,000 of those could be whites which puts them into the mid 60s percentage wise. That massive group of over 50s is still scary. At best 25% of those 1.3 to 1.4 mill are voting democrat. It could be as low as 18-20%. I still think a runoff is a lock

Old 11-03-2018, 10:14 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,680 times
It's publicly available information from the SoS. The "Other" selection is most often people who don't feel attached to any of the standard race options. So it's very unlikely that that large of a proportion of the "Other" voters are white, they are either mixed, or Middle-Eastern/N. African (MENA is a new census option). I'm not going to a venture a guess of how that group splits the vote, but 150,000 of them being a statistical "white voter" is a very big stretch of the imagination.

I don't know why you're putting the +50 vote at such a low Democratic vote split either. If anything we can presume that it is at least equal to the racial split, which would put the +50 vote at the lowest ~30% and more likely closer to 40%.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:26 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
LOL leave it to Oprah Winfrey to campaign for a bodice-buster novelist.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
It's publicly available information from the SoS. The "Other" selection is most often people who don't feel attached to any of the standard race options. So it's very unlikely that that large of a proportion of the "Other" voters are white, they are either mixed, or Middle-Eastern/N. African (MENA is a new census option). I'm not going to a venture a guess of how that group splits the vote, but 150,000 of them being a statistical "white voter" is a very big stretch of the imagination.

I don't know why you're putting the +50 vote at such a low Democratic vote split either. If anything we can presume that it is at least equal to the racial split, which would put the +50 vote at the lowest ~30% and more likely closer to 40%.
I just don’t come across many people in that age group who are Democrats. Particularly men. As far Metz vote splitting I voted for him and I have no idea if I would vote in a runoff. I don’t particularly love either candidate and I feel many of his votes comes from that group so it’s possible a runoff is entirely on who wants to show up. Abrams is overall less offensive of the two candidates. At the end of the day maybe her worst campaign push to me is blasting off Stone Mountain LOL. As another poster here pointed out though. A vote for Abrams or Gillum is very much mostly a vote to try and change state judge appointments to be more liberal because both will have a tough time getting much of their proposed agenda through with heavily conservative state congresses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia