Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:17 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetwise5 View Post
I don’t love either choice for Georgia. I’m trying to learn as much about Ted Metz and his positions as I can. Kemp is really trying too hard to sound like a deep south good ole’ boy - and that won’t help Georgia’s image or reputation be viewed as anything but deep red deep south (notice how our neighbor SC doesn’t have this problem - and Nikki Haley has been a very positive and respectable politician). Abrams is relying too much on the race card and trying to promote leftist/liberal policies in a historically conservative state.

Why can’t we have a moderate lead the state? Someone that will respect the traditions of Georgia and not completely **** off the conservatives and those with money, but also bring some new ideas and to help Georgia improve it’s negative national stats (education, healthcare, poverty, etc). Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. This two-party system, false dichotomy and division is really dragging our country and our morale down.
In ordinary times, that would be a fair question to ask. These are not ordinary times. These are times when it is not hyperbolic to state that democracy itself is at stake. And Brian Kemp wants to continue the erosion of democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:37 AM

815 posts, read 709,410 times
Default "New" Voters are Dominating the Early Vote in GA

Georgia Votes

The single largest voting block in early voting has been voters who did not vote in 2014. They make up 36% of early voters so far. To put that into perspective, by the time early voting ends, over 700,000 "new" voters will have voted. Compare that with 2014, where you had about 925,000 early votes totals, and it's really mind boggling how much more voter participation we are getting in GA this year.

Also, although all areas of GA are seeing growth, Metro Atlanta is a turnout machine. Metro Atlanta will be decisive in this election.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,554 times
All those 40 plus voters though seems ominous for Democrats. It’s hard to believe many of those 1.2 mill or so over 50 are voting democrat

Old 11-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Not really. The share of white voters has gone way down. Black participation is right where they need it. And Hispanic, Asians and others have doubled their percentage of the vote over 2014.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Not really. The share of white voters has gone way down. Black participation is right where they need it. And Hispanic, Asians and others have doubled their percentage of the vote over 2014.
I also don’t know who votes more on Election Day. Logic would tell me the below 50 vote is generally going to be early because more of them are working while 50 plus is more likely retired and able to vote on Election Day. I’ve seen some tweets though that argue the reverse and that most millennials vote on Election Day

Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 882,821 times
You have to remember that Abrams entire strategy was getting disaffected people to vote for the first time in years, across all ages.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
All those 40 plus voters though seems ominous for Democrats. It’s hard to believe many of those 1.2 mill or so over 50 are voting democrat
Not always. The suburbs are getting bluer. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-seats-alone/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
You have to remember that Abrams entire strategy was getting disaffected people to vote for the first time in years, across all ages.
It was a smart plan. A lot of people have become fed up with politics in recent times. She knew from the get-go that if she is to win, these are the additional votes she would need.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I also don’t know who votes more on Election Day. Logic would tell me the below 50 vote is generally going to be early because more of them are working while 50 plus is more likely retired and able to vote on Election Day. I’ve seen some tweets though that argue the reverse and that most millennials vote on Election Day

It's really hard to say what is going to happen on Election Day because we're in uncharted territory when it comes to turnout. Usually younger people and minorities vote toward the end of early voting and on election day but this year high numbers have already voted early. Do they continue to vote at the same pace or have all of their votes been cannibalized from the folks who would otherwise vote on Election Day.

If past trends hold, I would assume we'd get larger numbers of young folk, but I would be reluctant to assume that everything will happen as it has in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Not always. The suburbs are getting bluer. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-seats-alone/

It was a smart plan. A lot of people have become fed up with politics in recent times. She knew from the get-go that if she is to win, these are the additional votes she would need.
Yes. She put in millions into GOTV and I think it's a safe assumption that it's paid off big for her. Turnout is up all over the state but Metro Atlanta's influence in early voting so far has been outsized.

modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 11-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: deleted portion cut from due to previous post deletion

Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 AM

651 posts, read 476,741 times
Any poll updates?

How is it looking?

Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Any poll updates?

How is it looking?
Runoff almost for sure. I would say it’s 80% runoff 15% Kemp wins Tuesday, 5% Abrams does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia