Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times

Advertisements

Hours long waits to vote in Cobb.

No line whatsoever in College Park.

If you want Abrams to have a snowball's chance in hell, you'd better get out to vote, and get everyone you know who wants her to win to get out and vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

If you want Abrams to have a snowball's chance in hell, you'd better get out to vote, and get everyone you know who wants her to win to get out and vote.
This does not bode well.

Why does all this moral outrage percolating out there not translate into turnout?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,700,158 times
Default Gubernatorial Race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah, you're talking about mostly extreme fringe people who exist solely in the creases of the internet. But many of the more hardcore, far-right, barely-not-white-nationalists are up front in plain view, many in office.

So weird that I have not heard anything like this when that's the circle I hang around in.

I''m with you in your response there, samiwas1! Thank you for stating it so bluntly.

The reality appears to be that the "screaming" is largely done by the liar-in-chief at his rallies, as was the case in Montana again last night, aka the monstrous person who is the first president in modern times who has actively set out to divide us rather than unite us. Let that FACT sink in for a moment people.
Compounding the problem is the fact that there are a series of mini-tRUMP candidates from the gop who are copying not only his style of messaging but the message itself, i.e. a message of fear & insecurity.
So, who are these dangerous left wing screamers, etc. that folks on the right keep on harping on as being dominant in Democratic messaging? Such claims just don't match reality or add up nevertheless, it's part of the gop messaging that there is a left wing/Democratic "mob" out there that's to be feared that seek to take away rights from old, white people, a group of which you could somewhat correctly place me in.

Last edited by atler8; 10-19-2018 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: added a period

Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Aside from that, getting rid of copyrights/patents is an absurd far left idea that is rooted in a hatred of capitalism. It basically means you think that anytime someone invests a lot of time and money to develop a good product that it should immediately be taken away from them and the wealth distributed throughout society.
You have a deep-seated hatred of this "far left" wing you seem to think is prevalent. The only people who think the way you consistently froth at the mouth about are internet trolls. There is almost no one in the mainstream world who thinks these ways. All this "the wealth should be redistributed throughout society" crap is nonsense that is not a part of anyones' platform. This is purely a line peddled on conservative news screamo sites and shows to get people like you riled up that all the Librools are coming after your money.

Pushing for universal healthcare, better wages (anywhere near what they were 50 years ago), and better education access is not the same thing, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
This does not bode well.

Why does all this moral outrage percolating out there not translate into turnout?
I'll take a page from the atltechdude playbook. It's because the far right wants to have power over you, and so they are much more energized to come vote to take that power. They also want to make sure that they can get their religious freedom laws passed to stop gays from existing and carry their guns so they can kill anyone who blinks wrong at them!!11!1

No, but really...I think (think...this is my opinion, not rooted in facts or evidence) Republicans are just much more inclined to vote because they REALLY want what is on the platform. How many Republicans do you know that don't practically live by some Republican code and spend much of their time being a stereotypical Republican? It's kind of a way of life...almost like it's expected to be a part of the party. As for Democrats (and I myself am much more in that pool), we're just kind of here living our life, and it's harder to energize those people.

I will make sure I vote, only because the idea of a Kemp governorship makes me want to throw up in my mouth, but I'm really not that energized about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
no, that's the opposite of what i said. perfect capitalist competition in the marketplace has never been possible before because it's never been possible for everyone to have universal free access to information and ideas, and the ability to be a free actor in the economy rather than an employee of a corporation that only exists because the government gives it a corporate charter.

perfect free market capitalism would make it impossible for anyone to get rich because you wouldn't have the government giving you a leg up. i'm saying that according to economic theory, if you have a truly free market, meaning no copyrights, corporate charters, patents, limited liability, all these social contracts enforced by the government, no one would be able to accrue massive amounts of money because those laws take freedoms away from other people and give them to individual actors in the economy and artificially create wealth.
It's amazing how much goes in one ear and out the other with these people. One guy says "capitalism is the bestest and the only true way!" You point out that pure capitalism would mean that the government would not support many of the things that exist in our capitalist system to keep it in check. So, you pointing out the flaws in the pure capitalist philosophy gets you labeled as a far-leftist who just wants to take money from people. Pretty incredible how separated from reality some people can be. Truly amazing.

Last edited by samiwas1; 10-19-2018 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM
JPD

Quote:
This does not bode well.

I think part of it is that people on the left feel defeated, and feel that voting has proven futile. Even when they vote and their person wins, they still don't see the changes they'd like to see.

On the right, people go after what they want with vigor, and are willing to kill, or threaten to kill, to get it. You can see this by looking at the amount of emphasis the right places on guns.

I don't think either approach is healthy or correct. But I do think those factors play out.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:00 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
I think part of it is that people on the left feel defeated, and feel that voting has proven futile. Even when they vote and their person wins, they still don't see the changes they'd like to see.

On the right, people go after what they want with vigor, and are willing to kill, or threaten to kill, to get it. You can see this by looking at the amount of emphasis the right places on guns.

I don't think either approach is healthy or correct. But I do think those factors play out.

While I don't own a gun myself and likely never will it is odd you would say this. Especially looking at crime and gun crime statistics in our state. I don't think many of the people you see on the local evening news or in the ajc are Kemp supporters.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
This does not bode well.

Actually, don't take people's anecdotes to mean anything. You have to look at data.

Cobb county is the third most populous county in Georgia. They have ONE early voting site available for these first few days. That one even had some issues. That's going to lead to some long lines obviously. In terms of actual early votes, Cobb is up 127% over 2014.

College Park is in Fulton and Clayton counties. Fulton has TWENTY early voting sites open already. There are in fact 3 sites in College Park alone. Guess what? Fulton early voting is up 385% compared to 2014. And Clayton, the #1 most Democratic county in Georgia, is up 420%, with 72% of early votes from black voters.

Don't trust anecdotes. They don't tell the whole story.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM

815 posts, read 709,410 times
Quote:

Some stats for reference from the most populous metro counties. georgiavotes.com

Cobb's early voting thus far is 127% higher than last year. 38% of those voting are new voters. Whites make up 55%.

Gwinnett's numbers are up 141% with minorities making up about 55% of the vote. 35% are new voters.

Fulton's early voting is 385% higher and minorities make up 52%. 28.9% are new voters.

Clayton County is up 419%. 83% of those voting are minorities. 27.9% are new voters.

Dekalb's numbers are up 170% with minorities making up 67%. 27% are new voters.

Not sure why the line was so sparse in College Park but it looks like overall Fulton has a higher turnout than in Cobb, as do the the counties with high minority populations. Perhaps some voters are waiting until the weekend. Maybe some have to work. Looking at the Cobb numbers more closely, the voters skewed much older--40% were 65+ and 70% were 50+.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 AM

815 posts, read 709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Actually, don't take people's anecdotes to mean anything. You have to look at data.

Cobb county is the third most populous county in Georgia. They have ONE early voting site available for these first few days. That one even had some issues. That's going to lead to some long lines obviously. In terms of actual early votes, Cobb is up 127% over 2014.

College Park is in Fulton and Clayton counties. Fulton has TWENTY early voting sites open already. There are in fact 3 sites in College Park alone. Guess what? Fulton early voting is up 385% compared to 2014. And Clayton, the #1 most Democratic county in Georgia, is up 420%, with 72% of early votes from black voters.

Don't trust anecdotes. They don't tell the whole story.
We cross posted. Great point about the number of polling places.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
While I don't own a gun myself and likely never will it is odd you would say this. Especially looking at crime and gun crime statistics in our state. I don't think many of the people you see on the local evening news or in the ajc are Kemp supporters.

This is the most ignorant (and revealing) post so far on this thread, and that's a massive achievement. People committing gun crimes probably don't vote or have strong political beliefs. They live by a code that neither political party condones or caters to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia