Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Don't understand why people would vote for someone who has done this...very un-American to do so.
Exactly. To support the Constitution is to support the entire Constitution, not just the pieces that one likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 10:15 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This is all pretty true. I spent a little time yesterday trying to convince someone on Facebook that his claims that Trump's numbers were "110% better" than Obama's were not borne out in facts, and posted a chart showing as such. He said my chart was stupid and useless. I also argued with a girl who said that unemployment was now under 3% thanks to Trump. I said, that's not true...that it's at 3.7% and only 1% lower than when Trump took office. She proceeded to post her evidence with graphic showing that Obama left an unemployment rate of 4.8% (which is 1.1% higher, like I said) and telling me that I was completely wrong. These are people who are bound and determined to believe what they want to believe, and are not swayed by facts or evidence. Even when their own evidence disproves what they are saying, they will just ignore it and move on.
That's the problem. Too many of them live in a fact-free zone. It'd be one thing if an unbiased interpretation of the facts backed them up, but that's far from where things are. Hell we've seen examples of this right here on this thread.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
A poll that has Trump +3 and Kavanaugh +4 only has Kemp at +1. If the electorate does look like that, he's got it. If it does not, he may be in trouble. We will see. We still don't know what early vote data is saying other than possible high turnout for a midterm. In 2014 Deal won reelection by about 6% with 37% turnout. Estimates are closer to 45-50% this year. Clearly the electorate is going to look different, just not sure if it helps Abrams or Kemp. My gut is the extra voters are a mix of the new residents in Metro ATL, young people who ignored 2014, and POC inspired by Abrams and/or turned off by Trump and the Republicans party turn towards being open racists and fascists. All of these groups lean democratic. No way to know until the votes are counted though.
There will be a lot of people voting Republican instead of staying at home because of the Democrats open turn toward Stalinism, McCarthyism and opposition to freedom of speech and the Constitution.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 AM
bu2

Quote:
Don't understand why people would vote for someone who has done this...very un-American to do so.
Why would people vote for someone whose voter registration effort resulting in several indictments for fraud and who opposes efforts to make sure the people who vote really are legitimate voters?

You need to get beyond the talking points. Republicans have justifiable concerns about Democratic party voter fraud because of their long history of doing so in places they have one party control like Chicago, New York and South Texas.

Democrats call it "voter suppression." Republicans call it "ensuring the integrity of the voting process."

Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Yes such good points. Abrams strategy is so radically different than those before her I think it's almost impossible to say how things will shake out. The early voting numbers are promising but there are so many moving parts.

It seems that Abrams is confident that she has the numbers to win in theory but recognizes how many unknowns there are. She definitely has left no stone unturned. I think that internal poll reflect how things could turn out if she was able to maximize her turnout. One of her biggest enemies is these fatalistic attitude among Democrats that it's impossible for her to win.
The Democrats mostly seem to be taking that track. I think the reality is that both sides are trying to turn out a fictional base majority when the reality is that the core for both parties (nationally-not in any particular state) is just about 1/4 of the vote. There are a lot of people not committed to either side. And there are a lot of politicians out of touch with the real world. That's one of the problems with professional politicians. And its one of the reasons we have a Donald Trump as president-there were 21 candidates from both parties barely even acknowledging the existence of a substantial part of the electorate. So they voted for DJT and dumped establishment Republicans and the Democrats.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM

52 posts, read 46,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There will be a lot of people voting Republican instead of staying at home because of the Democrats open turn toward Stalinism, McCarthyism and opposition to freedom of speech and the Constitution.

No matter how hard you try to convince people of this, it doesn't make it true. Might as well just wait for the results.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:54 AM

711 posts, read 683,555 times
Quote:
Sadly, when you look at the history of this country, it's a very typical American thing to do. We never seem to live up to our values and mythology, but the very moment you point that out, you're called ungrateful and to go back to wherever you came from.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,807 times
Quote:
Oh, right, I forgot about that. Don't forget satanism, witchcraft and *checks Fox News* ...Sharia Law.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
....really? Please tell me you don't honestly sit there with a straight face and type this stuff. This is comedy gold.

Quote:
Why would people vote for someone whose voter registration effort resulting in several indictments for fraud and who opposes efforts to make sure the people who vote really are legitimate voters?

You need to get beyond the talking points. Republicans have justifiable concerns about Democratic party voter fraud because of their long history of doing so in places they have one party control like Chicago, New York and South Texas.
Wait, what? Theres a long history of Democratic voter fraud? Can you please pull up some sources (not right-wing blogs) confirming this? I seem to remember several instances of voter fraud during the 2016 election. As I recall, all of them were Republican.

Democrats call it "voter suppression." Republicans call it "ensuring the integrity of the voting process."[/quote]

Closing voting locations early or altogether in obvious minority areas is not "ensuring integrity". Stopping people from getting to voting locations is not "ensuring integrity". It's a fully-transparent attempt to sway the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Oh, right, I forgot about that. Don't forget satanism, witchcraft and *checks Fox News* ...Sharia Law.
I feel like that last part needs to be drawn out...Sharia Lllllaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
We know why, because Kemp just like trump, is the latest Republican political figure in a long line of them that will protect the current social political and economic structure in Georgia and in the country that was designed to protect and advance policy that benefits straight, mostly wealthy, white men and white women (as an afterthought of course) based on their proximity to these men. This is the reason why whites as a whole vote for republicans, it's about the power structure and what that affords them. Even when we talk about poor and uneducated whites who have no economic reason whatsoever to vote for those like Kemp they do so because it still gives them some social cachet, despite their plight their whiteness can be used as a type of social currency in various ways. You can waste a lifetime trying to convince these people, with facts mind you, that what they're advocating won't benefit them or the country as a whole long-term and they simply won't believe you. Deep down they know what you're saying is true but what you're wanting wouldn't add to their reality, their here and now, their privilege of being white in this country whether they are aware of that or not. They see equality for all as oppression to them and I will say if we are being honest, I think all of us in a knee-jerk reaction would see things that way. But hopefully we would then see that when everyone has a fair shot we all are better off in so so many ways.

I was going to just bold one part of your paragraph, but the entire thing is spot on! And you're right, they absolutely know. I try to tell people that there are those who pretend not to know. Many of the people who voted for trump knew exactly what he was like because they have the same views but did not like that when he got elected, he did not tone it down or engage in subtle racism. Now they're pretending as if his actions and words they've never heard of. It's shocking to them and it's not what they voted for haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia