Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 AM

6 posts, read 40,524 times

Advertisements

"The last census was taken from 2005. Augusta city and richmond county has gained people in 2006 and 2007. You don't even live in augusta. You live in suburban atlanta. We know you have something against augusta. Because several people have told you it gained people. But you continue to lie and say its shrinking when its not. Why are you talking about a city you know nothing about. Columbus whole population is muscogee county. Augusta city population has 7,000 ppl missing that are in the richmond county population. Columbus is growing because of soldiers. Coming to ft. benning not people who would have otherwise move there. Nobody from augusta, atlanta, or savannah, gets real excited. When their military bases add residents because thats nothing big to them. Augusta is getting 2 10 story condos this year. Its construction going on right now. Along with 2 hilton hotels, and a three story office-mix used building. The train depot is being turned into a starbucks, kinkos, and a resturant. The whites building is being turned into 80 condos right now in downtown augusta. No other city in ga except for atlanta has this much construction planned for their downtown this yr and next. Augusta is going to leave macon, savannah, and columbus behind.

1. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA 5,138,223

2. Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC MSA 523,249

3. Savannah, GA MSA 320,013

4. Columbus, GA-AL MSA 288,847

5. Macon, GA MSA 229,326"

-------------------------------------

I'm sorry but if you think that is more than the other georgia cities, johndoeboy, you need to go do some research. now it seems to me that ive heard of more development in augusta than that, but even so it doesnt really out pace other georgia cities. augusta is getting 2 10 story condo buidings, savannah is also getting two 10 story buildings, and six 7 -9 story buildings. and thats only in one development(which is in dowtown). there are numerous 5 - 6 story buildings going up all over the rest of the city. so while i dont doubt that augusta has more than what you mentioned, i doubt it is that much more (if it even is more) than other cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
The facts are that Augusta-Richmond County has had a net loss of over 6,000 residents since the 2000 census.. the census website clearly illustrates this.. True from 2006 to 2007 Augusta did gain a few hundred people from the previous year but not at a rate to offset the losses.. so Augusta will still see itself at the end of the 2010 census with fewer people then it had in 2000.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southga View Post
Columbus is growing because of soldiers. Coming to ft. benning not people who would have otherwise move there. Nobody from augusta, atlanta, or savannah, gets real excited. When their military bases add residents because thats nothing big to them.
Actually that's not the whole story. Thousands of the jobs coming to Columbus will be civilian jobs associated with the BRAC move. Columbus is home to several large corporations (AFLAC, TSYS, Synovous and Carmike Cinemas) not to mention other large employers such as Pratt & Whitney, Cessna, Kodak, Panasonic and more. People move here because of they are recruited to come here from other areas of the country to work. I have friends who are from Savannah, San Diego, Dallas, and Vermont, none of which who came here via the military. Columbus has a large number of high tech jobs, that require some sort of college or technical training. This is a two edged sword, because if you do not have the education, then jobs are hard to find. So where as Augusta is in a building binge, Columbus and Savannah has gone through there building binge. Columbus has built a large civic center, baseball and softball stadiums, Museum (the second largest in the state), Iron Works Convention center and The River Center for the Performance Arts, public library and Downtown street scape. Then there is the Columbus State Downtown Campus and student housing, numerous Downtown lofts and condos, shops, restaurants and clubs and the Infantry Museum (about 180,000 sq ft) on the south side. And this is just in Columbus, but we think in terms of the region and the region has much more to offer over and above what I stated here. Within a thirty miles radius we have semi-pro and SEC sports, shopping galore and wide variety of eateries not just the chains.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 PM

By the 2010 census, Columbus will once again be the second largest city in Georgia.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 AM

913 posts, read 2,986,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
By the 2010 census, Columbus will once again be the second largest city in Georgia.
I totally agree. I can't wait! It is about time Columbus regained its status!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 40,524 times
I like how all georgias mid sized cities always seems to be competing for the biggest or the best and seem totally oblivious to the fact that none of them are really a "big city" columbus has a big base, augusta has famous golf courses, savannah has huge ports, macon has....well...the allman brothers i guess? lol. point is, yall quarrel about each others city being bigger and better, and being proud of your home town is good, but guess what? atlanta is sitting there laughing and point at all of us saying "silly little hicks"

Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southga View Post
I like how all georgias mid sized cities always seems to be competing for the biggest or the best and seem totally oblivious to the fact that none of them are really a "big city" columbus has a big base, augusta has famous golf courses, savannah has huge ports, macon has....well...the allman brothers i guess? lol. point is, yall quarrel about each others city being bigger and better, and being proud of your home town is good, but guess what? atlanta is sitting there laughing and point at all of us saying "silly little hicks"
O' yea. Well my dog is bigger than your dog. And my car is faster than your car. And .... I could not help myself.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM

I've never thought that "bigger" equates to "better".. I've always believed that quality is more important than quantity. I don't really care who has the bigger mall or freeway interchange or tallest building. Even though Athens is much smaller than Georgia's second-tier cities, I think it runs circles around them when it comes to quality of life.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Warner Robins,Downtown Decatur,Downtown College Park,Fairburn are great places for different reasons.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM

178 posts, read 499,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I totally agree. I can't wait! It is about time Columbus regained its status!
For anybody who has spent time in Augusta, Columbus and Savannah, WHO in their right mind would consider Columbus Georgia's second city ahead of Savannah and Augusta? It lacks the Urbanity and Culture of those two cities, and of Macon as well. Columbus seems like a big suburb.

Savannah is Georgia's second city regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia