Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will lose all of their enclosed malls first?
Athens MSA 1 2.17%
Atlanta MSA 9 19.57%
Augusta MSA 2 4.35%
Brunswrick MSA 3 6.52%
Columbus MSA 9 19.57%
Macon MSA 16 34.78%
Rome MSA 3 6.52%
Savannah MSA 2 4.35%
Valdosta MSA 0 0%
Warner Robins MSA 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
No Need the Macon Mall will still be there and we already have a New super Wal-mart center shopping center down the street and another a 800,000 power center anchored by home depot, Best buy, Target,Kroger, Ross, Mars halls, Pet smart, Staples, Old Navy and H.H. Gregg's called Eisenhower crossing..... and new power center under construction in North Macon
Well, if all of that is going on I change my prediction.

Macon Mall will be an empty shell. Perhaps Macy's and Sears may still be open, but the rest of the mall will be sealed off and empty.

Eventually, Macy's and Sears will decide to relocate to one of these fabulous new centers you crow about. The developers will welcome them with open arms.

Macon Mall could very well end up being something very different than anyone could ever imagine. Probably a new storage facility, new apartment complex or maybe even a new satellite campus for Mercer (highly unlikely).

Rest assured, with all of this new nearby retail - it will no longer ever be a regional mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
How about a homeless shelter?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well, if all of that is going on I change my prediction.

Macon Mall will be an empty shell. Perhaps Macy's and Sears may still be open, but the rest of the mall will be sealed off and empty.

Eventually, Macy's and Sears will decide to relocate to one of these fabulous new centers you crow about. The developers will welcome them with open arms.

Macon Mall could very well end up being something very different than anyone could ever imagine. Probably a new storage facility, new apartment complex or maybe even a new satellite campus for Mercer (highly unlikely).

Rest assured, with all of this new nearby retail - it will no longer ever be a regional mall.
these centers the Wal-mart and the other 800,000 sqft center has been nearby the Mall since 2001.....

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 PM

^Fine. We'll compare notes this time next year to check on the status of the Mall.

I hope you are right, but don't bet on it.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 PM

349 posts, read 1,004,752 times
If Augusta mall did it then Macon mall can too. Im not saying it will or it won't. I know nobody in 2004 imagined Augusta mall. Would look like it does now in 2009. I going to say one of the malls in metro Atlanta. Also Savannah has two malls. And both need to be updated like Augusta mall asap. One of Savannah's will be the first to go.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammaf View Post
If Augusta mall did it then Macon mall can too. Im not saying it will or it won't. I know nobody in 2004 imagined Augusta mall. Would look like it does now in 2009. I going to say one of the malls in metro Atlanta. Also Savannah has two malls. And both need to be updated like Augusta mall asap. One of Savannah's will be the first to go.
Augusta Mall did it because Regency dried up and withered away.

Macon is hardly Augusta, and does not have the job base or the income levels to support all of these new places AND Macon Mall.

I would truly like to be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that won't be the case.

If I had to pick an Atlanta mall that won't make it, I honestly don't know which one it would be. The mall operators here tend to be pretty savy and adaptable. I guess I would pick the old Shannon Mall in Union City.

The new Ashley Park in Newnan and Camp Creek Marketplace in East Point seem to be making Shannon pretty obsolete and worn out.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM

201 posts, read 541,043 times
Columbus Peachtree Mall has become nothing but a daycare center and hangout and in no way resembles a retail mall any longer.
It opened in Aug 1975 making it nearly 34 years old and it shows.

What is truly ironic is that Columbus Square Mall closed back in early 90's officially(even though it should have quit years earlier) due to the very same reasons.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 AM

841 posts, read 1,402,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Augusta Mall did it because Regency dried up and withered away.

Macon is hardly Augusta, and does not have the job base or the income levels to support all of these new places AND Macon Mall.

Well can you tell me What Job base does Augusta have that Macon doesn't, Because the last time I checked all the 2nd tier cities job was was about the same except for Columbus having more HQs.....VS Macon's large regional offices.

Explain

Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 AM

349 posts, read 1,004,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Well can you tell me What Job base does Augusta have that Macon doesn't, Because the last time I checked all the 2nd tier cities job was was about the same except for Columbus having more HQs.....VS Macon's large regional offices.

Explain
If Macon and Augusta had the same job base. Macon would have Imax, PF Changs, Chop house, Apple, Sephora, etc like Augusta already has.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
How about replacing Macon Mall with IKEA. Oh and Apple is not located in Augusta yet. Greenville doesn't have IMAX, Apple, or Sephora. Greenville has a bigger metro population than Augusta too. Oh wait, but we do have Ruth's Chris, Pottery Barn, Chipotle, Whole Foods Market, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia