Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
I don't know what you are talking about, you have admittedly never been to the U.S. and do not know our culture.
But I've been to Asia and the poor are the same everywhere; they all wanna become rich.
Besidez it is no secret what your culture is, you export it abroad in your music, movies and documentaries.
And as a child I've grown up with American friends whose parents worked at the American base in Holland.

Quote:
Yes, it was hard, but well worth the work, I can hold my head up high because I did it, I did it with no help, and ANYONE in America has the same opportunities.
Unless you grew up in a vacuum your claim that you did it with no help is an illusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Noahma But I've been to Asia and the poor are the same everywhere; they all wanna become rich.
Besidez it is no secret what your culture is, you export it abroad in your music, movies and documentaries.
And as a child I've grown up with American friends whose parents worked at the American base in Holland.

Unless you grew up in a vacuum your claim that you did it with no help is an illusion.
I did it with no help. I got the student loans myself, worked 2 full time jobs to pay for the loans, and went to school. I applied for jobs myself, went on interviews myself, bought my suit for the interviews myself. NO HELP AT ALL.

you do not get the full scope of what America is by watching our media, the people in California that produce that garbage have no place in reality.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I got the student loans myself
There you go; isn't a loan a form of helping?
Most poor people don't even get a loan on the account of them being poor.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma There you go; isn't a loan a form of helping?
Most poor people don't even get a loan on the account of them being poor.
no, I am paying it back 100% +

I would not consider it help when I am returning in full plus

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I did it with no help. I got the student loans myself, worked 2 full time jobs to pay for the loans, and went to school. I applied for jobs myself, went on interviews myself, bought my suit for the interviews myself. NO HELP AT ALL.
I'm sure the dozens and perhaps hundreds of people who went out of their way to lend you a hand and to help move you along your way when they really didn't have to are very appreciative of all the gratitude you've shown for their efforts today...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm sure the dozens and perhaps hundreds of people who went out of their way to lend you a hand and to help move you along your way when they really didn't have to are very appreciative of all the gratitude you've shown for their efforts today...
they did not do it out of the kindness of there heart, it was a business transaction. They benefited out of lending me the money. I would not consider that help. I met the requirements to borrow that money, just as thousands of other Americans in which could make the same business transactions that I did.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually, this is somewhat misleading also. Here are some data that put a more fact-based spin on the matter...

Per the Bureau of Labor Statitsics --

Hourly wage-earners at or below the minimum wage, 2007...

Age 16-24: 814,000
Age 25+: 915,000

Men: 546,000
Women: 1,183,000

Northeast: 292,000
Midwest: 410,000
West: 209,000
South: 817,000

HS Dropout: 419,000
HS Degree: 566,000
Some college: 602,000
College degree: 142,000

Never married: 1,088,000
Married, spouse present: 391,000
Married, other: 250,000

Hours worked per week at primary job...
No fixed hours: 219,000
1-9: 69,000
10-19: 217,000
20-29: 381,000
30-39: 364,000
40: 410,000
41-48: 21,000
49-59: 37,000
60+: 12,000

Hmmm. Most payroll taxes are immediately sent out as benefit payments to recipients. The residual (the part being saved up in the SSTF re the baby boomers) is invested in US Treasury securities...those things everybody has been trying to get out of the stock market to buy instead.

Wealth lost by the NYSE last week: $10 trillion
Wealth lost by the SSTF last week: $0

Meanwhile, admin and management costs for SS are about 0.8% of benefit payments. How would that compare to private sector numbers?
Makes my point rather nicely...the percentage of workers that accounts for is about 1.2 percent of the total workforce in 2007. (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics...low avg. of total non-farm jobs, seasonally adjusted in 2007 was 137,000,000). Over half of these were women, and can I say this, as a woman, part time employed, that it may be because many of them are part time , and stay at home moms? they are not the major breadwinners in the home. I don't even know if I can cede the point about the full time jobs because almost half of these persons are under age 25, which falls into the potential student category, so...I am not sure about that.

As far as everyone buying Treasury securities as long term investments...that is rather foolish. They don't even keep pace with inflation, which is why SS is losing money over the long haul (well one of the reasons) Administative costs may be low , but at least in corporate America there are 'supposed' to be laws against borrowing from the retirement investments. There are no such laws against the governement borrowing SS monies...there are several sets of goverment accounting books to cover such practices. The money is not 'saved ' somewhere for future generations. I reiterate that the government is a poor steward of nearly everything it is given charge over.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Makes my point rather nicely...
I merely posted the data that you did not. Feel free to cherry-pick to POV all you want.

Quote:
As far as everyone buying Treasury securities as long term investments...that is rather foolish. They don't even keep pace with inflation....
You might want to re-research that statement. It's entirely false.

Quote:
...which is why SS is losing money over the long haul (well one of the reasons)
So is that one.

Quote:
Administative costs may be low , but at least in corporate America there are 'supposed' to be laws against borrowing from the retirement investments.
Perhaps there should have been laws against restating them as parts of acquisitions, mergers, and takeovers. A few more plans might still be solvent if such laws had existed and been enforced.

Quote:
There are no such laws against the governement borrowing SS monies...there are several sets of goverment accounting books to cover such practices. The money is not 'saved ' somewhere for future generations.
You're way off base. By both federal law and fiduciary responsibility, balances held in the SS Trust Fund are invested to earn competitive, market-based rates while keeping primary a strategy of conservation of principal. Like a substantial portion of President Bush's personal fortune, SSTF funds are invested in US Treasury securities, the safest, most secure investment vehicle in the history of the world. So safe are these that they are the standard against which all other forms of investment are measured. As with all bond sales, proceeds received by the seller are used for its own purposes. Proceeds from the sale of school bonds are used to build schools. Proceeds from corporate bond sales are used to purchase new plant and equipment. Proceeds from government bond sales are used for government projects. None of such uses of proceeds in any way diminishes the status of a bond as evidence of a debt. This is simply the way bonds work. Perhaps you should read up on it further. There are no sets of government accounting books that will report anything other than what I have just described.

Quote:
I reiterate that the government is a poor steward of nearly everything it is given charge over.
You can reiterate it all you want. The facts remain the same, and those are at odds with a great deal of what you have said so far.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
I pay my government to take care of me.
Personally - I trust Me to take care of ME more than the government - and, I don't pay the government to take care of me either -

Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Personally - I trust Me to take care of ME more than the government - and, I don't pay the government to take care of me either -
LoL you don't trust anyone but yourself.
I have no problem trusting my government, but I'm not so gullible as those people who trust Dubya or who put all their faith in money.

Quote:
no, I am paying it back 100% +

I would not consider it help when I am returning in full plus
If you would not have gotten your student loan that would have been the same as not have gotten help.
Poor people generally don't get any loans because they don't have any collateral so banks generally don't wanna invest in them as they would in students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates