Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Prostitution has long been known by many as the "victimless" crime. While it's true that neither the prostitute or the "John" is considered a victim, the sale of sex is still illegal. Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
IMHO, the only reason prostitution is illegal is because they're not paying taxes. The government wants their fair share!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
not suprisingly, I do not agree with j760! Government should not tell people what they can and cannot do with their bodies. "Moral" arguments are improper in a governmental system that "makes no laws" regarding religion. . . . making certain practices illegal due to arguments of "morality" should be "illegal" under our constitutional system!
Spreading STD's? More likely to occur in a "non-professional" situation. . . resulting pregnacy? MUCH more likely to occur in a "non-professional" situation. . ."Gift from God?. . . religious based argument that has no place in a country that "makes no laws" regarding religion. . . .
You're Bang on cap1717

To further what cap1717 has said: Those of religious, moral convictions, and to those that think prostitution is bad, should stop thinking about what they feel and do some research and exercise their intellect. The formula for making laws should be i/e (intellect over emotion) not e/i. Laws based on emotion are always bad. Not only do such feel good laws not stop whatever they’re supposed to, they always exacerbate the situation, and often times make it more popular or at least well known.

Religious zealots: spread your word in church amongst people of similar beliefs. This Christian based law system has no place in a government that’s supposed to be a free constitutional republic. Cap1717’s already pointed this out, and I just felt the need to reaffirm it. Religion has no place in government. I also find it hard to understand people that proclaim to be a Christian, yet they champion laws that cause more harm than good. It’s at this time I’d like to address all those morality prudes out there along with the Christian types.

You’re hurting the whores more than you’re helping them. Because it’s illegal, there are no ho standards. They don’t get checked, they’ve got to work in seedy dangerous parts of town, and it forces them to work under the thumb of oppressive pimps. They cannot collectively band together and form some sort of labor union, and they do not benefit from their work like other Americans do. OSHA doesn’t protect them, there are no S.S., and unemployment benefits. Because you also keep drugs illegal for the same religious and moral reasons, many ladies of the night are hooked on drugs. Due to both drugs and prostitution being illegal, the price for both goods and or services is highly elevated by the criminal black market it’s created. Therefore, a lot of women and gay men that are drug users turn to prostitution to be able to support their habits. Then there are the Johns. These men are turned into criminals for no good reason at all. It affects not only their immediate livelihood, but also throws huge obstacles in their path down the road as they try to make a living. Throwing people that aren’t violent and haven’t committed true criminal acts into jail with those that do has negative social effects that ripple into everybody’s lives. Not only do we have to pay a lot of money for police to look for them, we have courts, jails, and upon release parole. Then the victimless criminals find it very hard to assimilate back into society. I wonder how many of these peaceful non-criminals have been severely traumatized by incarceration and have gone on to commit real crime. I find it very hard to understand why myopic Christians and moral fiber types think they’re right and good when all they do actually ruins more people’s lives than it helps. Why can’t they see the greater good or with their own belief system, the lesser of two evils. Additionally, because prostitution is illegal, it surfaces in areas where it is unwanted.

All one has to do is look back through history. During the civil war, more Union troops were being lost to STDs than to the enemy, and by more, I mean the lion’s share of casualties along the lines of 80% were lost versus 20% in combat. The solution? One brilliant commanding officer knew he couldn’t stop it, so he made it legal. He charged a nominal fee, and each woman was given a work permit and medical examination. The prostitute could easily earn enough money in less than one day to pay for her permits and examination. Health and safety standards were set, and it was also conducted in a specific part of town. The results, STDs became a thing of the past, people that wanted to engage in such activities were no longer criminalized, and since it was set up in specific parts of towns, nobody had to see whores and Johns if they didn’t want to. Not only was enough money made by the ruling government to ensure safety, their nominal fees actually turned a profit and set up more health facilities so even those that weren’t engaging in prostitution benefited from it.

Take a look at how other countries that have legal prostitution operate and how they have none of the problems we have as a result of prostitution being illegal. Even if you’re against drugs, if prostitution were legal, many crack hos would find themselves out of work because card carrying union with health certificates and the like would quickly put them out of business. The oppressive pimps would disappear as well. Streetwalkers would largely become a thing of the past, and the safety of hos from STDs and murderers posing as Johns would largely disappear. Prostitution would no longer be associated with drugs.

If you’re against prostitution, I simply think that you can’t think the entire thing through. You just seem to see a man buying sex from a woman, when it’s far more involved than that. You’re not doing them any good by keeping it illegal, and you’re not only hurting those immediately involved, but you’re also hurting yourself, family, and nation as a whole. I implore you to thoroughly research a topic before you champion any law and take a look at how the law ruins their lives worse than the activity does. In my humble opinion, that would be the real Christian/moral thing to do.

When something’s legal, it is easy to control and regulate. When something’s made illegal, we as a society have just lost complete control over it because all forms of rules and regulations taken away due to it being illegal. Whether you agree with prostitution or not isn't the issue. The fact still stands that there are prostitutes and Johns that see nothing wrong with it. Jailing them will do nothing but make it worse. This is a clear cut text book example of, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." Be reasonable, these people aren't asking to rape, rob, or murder.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
You're Bang on cap1717

To further what cap1717 has said: Those of religious, moral convictions, and to those that think prostitution is bad, should stop thinking about what they feel and do some research and exercise their intellect. The formula for making laws should be i/e (intellect over emotion) not e/i. Laws based on emotion are always bad. Not only do such feel good laws not stop whatever they’re supposed to, they always exacerbate the situation, and often times make it more popular or at least well known.

Religious zealots: spread your word in church amongst people of similar beliefs. This Christian based law system has no place in a government that’s supposed to be a free constitutional republic. Cap1717’s already pointed this out, and I just felt the need to reaffirm it. Religion has no place in government. I also find it hard to understand people that proclaim to be a Christian, yet they champion laws that cause more harm than good. It’s at this time I’d like to address all those morality prudes out there along with the Christian types.

You’re hurting the whores more than you’re helping them. Because it’s illegal, there are no ho standards. They don’t get checked, they’ve got to work in seedy dangerous parts of town, and it forces them to work under the thumb of oppressive pimps. They cannot collectively band together and form some sort of labor union, and they do not benefit from their work like other Americans do. OSHA doesn’t protect them, there are no S.S., and unemployment benefits. Because you also keep drugs illegal for the same religious and moral reasons, many ladies of the night are hooked on drugs. Due to both drugs and prostitution being illegal, the price for both goods and or services is highly elevated by the criminal black market it’s created. Therefore, a lot of women and gay men that are drug users turn to prostitution to be able to support their habits. Then there are the Johns. These men are turned into criminals for no good reason at all. It affects not only their immediate livelihood, but also throws huge obstacles in their path down the road as they try to make a living. Throwing people that aren’t violent and haven’t committed true criminal acts into jail with those that do has negative social effects that ripple into everybody’s lives. Not only do we have to pay a lot of money for police to look for them, we have courts, jails, and upon release parole. Then the victimless criminals find it very hard to assimilate back into society. I wonder how many of these peaceful non-criminals have been severely traumatized by incarceration and have gone on to commit real crime. I find it very hard to understand why myopic Christians and moral fiber types think they’re right and good when all they do actually ruins more people’s lives than it helps. Why can’t they see the greater good or with their own belief system, the lesser of two evils. Additionally, because prostitution is illegal, it surfaces in areas where it is unwanted.

All one has to do is look back through history. During the civil war, more Union troops were being lost to STDs than to the enemy, and by more, I mean the lion’s share of casualties along the lines of 80% were lost versus 20% in combat. The solution? One brilliant commanding officer knew he couldn’t stop it, so he made it legal. He charged a nominal fee, and each woman was given a work permit and medical examination. The prostitute could easily earn enough money in less than one day to pay for her permits and examination. Health and safety standards were set, and it was also conducted in a specific part of town. The results, STDs became a thing of the past, people that wanted to engage in such activities were no longer criminalized, and since it was set up in specific parts of towns, nobody had to see whores and Johns if they didn’t want to. Not only was enough money made by the ruling government to ensure safety, their nominal fees actually turned a profit and set up more health facilities so even those that weren’t engaging in prostitution benefited from it.

Take a look at how other countries that have legal prostitution operate and how they have none of the problems we have as a result of prostitution being illegal. Even if you’re against drugs, if prostitution were legal, many crack hos would find themselves out of work because card carrying union with health certificates and the like would quickly put them out of business. The oppressive pimps would disappear as well. Streetwalkers would largely become a thing of the past, and the safety of hos from STDs and murderers posing as Johns would largely disappear. Prostitution would no longer be associated with drugs.

If you’re against prostitution, I simply think that you can’t think the entire thing through. You just seem to see a man buying sex from a woman, when it’s far more involved than that. You’re not doing them any good by keeping it illegal, and you’re not only hurting those immediately involved, but you’re also hurting yourself, family, and nation as a whole. I implore you to thoroughly research a topic before you champion any law and take a look at how the law ruins their lives worse than the activity does. In my humble opinion, that would be the real Christian/moral thing to do.

When something’s legal, it is easy to control and regulate. When something’s made illegal, we as a society have just lost complete control over it because all forms of rules and regulations taken away due to it being illegal. Whether you agree with prostitution or not isn't the issue. The fact still stands that there are prostitutes and Johns that see nothing wrong with it. Jailing them will do nothing but make it worse. This is a clear cut text book example of, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." Be reasonable, these people aren't asking to rape, rob, or murder.
Excellent, well-thought out post, but it will fall largely on deaf ears. It seems as if most people do not have the capacity to separate their personal feelings and ethics about a topic from their opinion about legality. This is proven time and time again in many threads. Basically they are willing to impose their own morals on others, even in victimless situations. Additionally, the fear of "the kids" getting into drugs or prostitution scares people into keeping things illegal.

What I don't get is how some people can argue "I am for freedom" yet be against freedom in situations like these.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Excellent, well-thought out post, but it will fall largely on deaf ears. It seems as if most people do not have the capacity to separate their personal feelings and ethics about a topic from their opinion about legality. This is proven time and time again in many threads. Basically they are willing to impose their own morals on others, even in victimless situations. Additionally, the fear of "the kids" getting into drugs or prostitution scares people into keeping things illegal.

What I don't get is how some people can argue "I am for freedom" yet be against freedom in situations like these.
Right on, Rep bump! Well said by loco and you!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Right on, Rep bump! Well said by loco and you!
Thanks, like I said, that post fell on deaf ears. Most people aren't ready for true freedom, the type that covers things they agree and disagree with personally.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Prostitution has long been known by many as the "victimless" crime. While it's true that neither the prostitute or the "John" is considered a victim, the sale of sex is still illegal. Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
Because some people like to CONTROLL others, that's why it's still illegal.....prostitution should be legal.....and so should all drugs....

Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Default Prostitution! How bad is it really?

Old thread, but I happened upon this youtube vid a few minutes ago and thought it answered an aspect of the OP's question.

YouTube - ‪Interview with Yvonne; Oklahoma Street Prostitute‬‏

And here's the follow up. It's touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4skrGR8Fo&NR=1

Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
And so many wonder why this country is going down the drain. The beliief in God is falling and we have fallen out of favor of the Lord. Too many have turned away and want to live their decadent lifestyle, do as they want, sin all the time. Even tho it may be legalized it is still a sin. and someday you will have to answer to a higher court then any in this land.

Last edited by BoxCar Willie; 06-09-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Old thread, but I happened upon this youtube vid a few minutes ago and thought it answered an aspect of the OP's question.

YouTube - ‪Interview with Yvonne; Oklahoma Street Prostitute‬‏

And here's the follow up. It's touching.

YouTube - ‪Yvonne: Former OKC Street Prostitute update‬‏
I watched both and it is a touching story. I'm certainly happy she turned her life around.

Even though I support prostitution legalization, I certainly don't support this street walking form of it. I lean towards the Nevada model, where none of the women have ever tested positive for STDs.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
And so many wonder why this country is going down the drain. The beliief in God is falling and we have fallen out of favor of the Lord. Too many have turned away and want to live their decadent lifestyle, do as they want, sin all the time. Even tho it may be legalized it is still a sin. and someday you will have to answer to a higher court then any in this land.
Good afternoon,

Didn't God give us free will? This debate is about allowing people to have the freedom to make choices under the law, instead of creating laws based on the majority's religious beliefs.

I'm surprised you don't support allowing people to choose to sin or not. If people want to partake, let them do so in peace and answer to a higher power on "judgment day".

I don't know if you are a conservative or not, but I don't understand how religious conservatives can argue for freedom and limited government, then reverse themselves to fight tooth and nail for less freedom and more government on social issues. I expect this from liberals, at least they are consistent on wanting big government both economically and socially when governing (despite the lip service they give to social issues).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates