Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Has n----er become a colorless word now? I'm out of the loop.
I am, too, apparently. We started out in a hypothetical 'what if', I answered in the 'what if', and now I find that I'm the problem. I must be out of the 'loop' too..(in fact, I'm beginning to hope I'm never IN the loop,)

Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
I think it was the use of the n word.

We already established that was taboo depending on the colour of the person using it.

Apparently it also extends to what you're allowed to think depending on the colour of your skin also.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
The term "reverse racism" is itself biased against White people as it assumes that there is a "normal" or "usual racism" which of course is always declared to be Whites against non-Whites. I don't accept the term "reverse racism" as it plays into the race-hustling game that there is a normal style of racism.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
but I sure don't think anyone would riot if a white applied to a traditionally black college, and the white student would not have to hire any lawyers.
Nor in the reverse. This country has been segregated a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I think you're being disingenuous here. Allow me to interject:

Minorities are typically underrepresented more often than not in most places in America. So, it would make sense for a minority to wonder whether or not there was any of 'their culture'(and I use such terms loosely) in any given area. However, it would not make sense for a White person to wonder this as White culture is pretty ubiquitous in all but an extremely few places in such a White dominated nation.
Bull. I am white and live in a city that is 70% black.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think it was the use of the n word.

We already established that was taboo depending on the colour of the person using it.

Apparently it also extends to what you're allowed to think depending on the colour of your skin also.
Apparently so!..I mean, there I was..hypothetically having only two teeth, living in a substandard mobile home, unemployed, sleeping with my cousin, and hooked on 'meth'....and my PROBLEM is using the "n" word? I'd say the "n" word is the LEAST of my problems..

I mean, honestly now, would YOU want to be my (hypothetical) next-door neighbor, even if I DIDN'T use that word?

"Out of the loop" is an understatement.... (in answer to the OP...maybe THIS is the reason people are 'afraid to speak up'....(?)

Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Apparently so!..I mean, there I was..hypothetically having only two teeth, living in a substandard mobile home, unemployed, sleeping with my cousin, and hooked on 'meth'....and my PROBLEM is using the "n" word? I'd say the "n" word is the LEAST of my problems..

I mean, honestly now, would YOU want to be my (hypothetical) next-door neighbor, even if I DIDN'T use that word?

"Out of the loop" is an understatement.... (in answer to the OP...maybe THIS is the reason people are 'afraid to speak up'....(?)
Well I'm still not certain if it was the "n-word" or if the problem was you're not allowed to judge and decide if a black person is good or bad. Other people, yes you can decide if they're good or bad, but black, no. Unless you are black in which case you KNOW everything about your community and ALL the people in it and can psychically attest to the thoughts and motivations of all those who are not the same colour as you.

I think I'm getting this correct. I'm so confused.

Or perhaps it's that white people of lower socio economic status and education should not have an opinion? Or that they're all the same?

Either way whatever colour you are if you have those issues (EVEN HYPOTHETICALLY) I'm betting that your neighbour probably has them too. I don't see too many folks managing all those stereotypical and generalized life style choices being able to live next door to Donald Trump or Oprah Winfrey, do you?

And yes unfortunately, I think it is the reason that people don't speak up.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
By attempting to counter my points, you have shown that your expressed views(all Blacks blame Whites for....) are unfounded and tinged
By attempting to twist my words (I never said or implied "all Blacks blame Whites for" anything), you have shown that you are not interested and perhaps not even capable of a rational discussion about this topic.

Quote:
In my three decades as a Black woman, I think I have a better grasp on what we discuss and focus upon.
"We?" Again presuming you know what all black people think

Quote:
Why not just admit that your views are formed strictly by your interactions with only a certain class of Black people and leave it at that?
um because it's not true?

Quote:
These outcries of reverse racism are based in a personal sense of inferiority and a sense of White entitlement.
LOL - I love it. You try to dismiss the idea of reverse discrimination and give a glaring example of it all in the same breath! ie I'm white and say I don't believe a black person should get a job due to their race, and you conclude I believe in "white entitlement." No, as I've said before, I believe jobs should be given based on merit and "Affirmative Action" says give a guy a job to meet a quota, ie because he's black. Sorry that doesn't make me a racist, it means I believe in equality. I'm amazed how many people blind themselves to the fact that AA is blatant discrimination.

Sorry, no sense of inferiority here and no white entitlement. Just a growing disgust for the deluded hypocrisy and idiocy our society today has regarding this topic.

Quote:
The question becomes: How did that n----r get that job, degree, house, promotion, car, etc, etc. I deserve it. I should have more than "them".
And more assumptions that I'm a racist, big surprise. You might try actually reading these posts vs just reading into them whatever is convenient so you can dismiss them w/your racist implications. Again: I think that NOBODY - black OR white - should get a job/degree/promotion/etc on anything but merit. THAT is equality. Not this discimination is OK for some but not others BS.

Quote:
I have worked very hard for what I have and my family and I have made great sacrifices to accomplish our goals.
congrats.

Quote:
The Black middle-class and higher truly do not blame Whites when we don't get something that we desire, we just work harder and aim higher.
And again you presume to know what millions of people you have never met think (that doesn't mean you're wrong per se though). Also your omission of the lower-class blacks is more than a little glaring. You speak volumes with what you don't say as well as with what you do. I suspect you know exactly what I'm talking about and even agree with it to at least some extent, but can't admit it...perhaps even to yourself...because the truth is just too un-PC and distasteful to you.

Quote:
Many people attempt to maintain a caste system (with Blacks on the bottom) to make themselves feel superior to another group. As a Black person, I have experienced this numerous times.
Sorry to hear that. There are bigoted jerks of all ethnicities though (the good news being they are they exception), which is partly my point. I have seen/experienced it more than a few times from the other side of the fence.

Quote:
However, I have never cried racism (even when it would have been a valid claim for me to do so) I just strived for better (as my family has taught) and I usually come out ahead. I don't blame White people when I don't get what I want, I just push forward.
Good for you, and I mean that. Although I think, depending on the specifics, there were likely times when if you were treated unfairly due to race, you should have said something.......ironically, some do when it's not merited.

Quote:
Sorry if that ruins your theory about how all (or most) Black people think.
And again your presume to know what I think vs bothering to find out or seeing it based on what I say...not to mention presuming to know how most/all black people think. Sorry, being a member of a race does not mean you know how all/most of them think; in fact the very idea is absurd.

Last edited by joey2000; 02-26-2009 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
The term "reverse racism" is itself biased against White people as it assumes that there is a "normal" or "usual racism" which of course is always declared to be Whites against non-Whites. I don't accept the term "reverse racism" as it plays into the race-hustling game that there is a normal style of racism.
Reverse racism implies, rightly, the absence of systemic racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I read it as you, a person living in a trailer, is the n***er. That's pretty new for me.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So now you're speaking for all middle and upper class blacks? Would you consider Oprah, Louis Gates, Cornel West, Ray Nagin, and Spike Lee upper class, because they might disagree with you?

If folks who are in prominent positions such as AG Eric Holder would stop fanning the flames of the past and insist we all sit in a circle hand in hand and discuss matters of race, perhaps we could move forward. But no, let's pick at the scabs and continue to allow matters of race to remain at the surface, rather than move on. Why harp on old resentments and keep bringing this to the surface? If anything, we need less talk about race in this country, not more. But race is big business, it's become a source of revenue for the rhetoric, so to allow race relations to one day be a thing of total harmony is not going to happen so long as the race card can be played in order to gain wealth, power, media attention and even get elected into office.
You said it better and more succinctly than I did. I can't decide if I'm grateful or jealous.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
My point was that typically when non-Black people talk about or refer to Black people they lump us ALL into one voice/mindset/opinion/attitude.

These same people, who would not want to be lumped in with Klan members, Neo-Nazis and separatists, do not acknowledge the differences of thought and opinions that exist within our community.
Well since you presume to know what all black people think, I guess it should come as no surprise that you presume to know what all "non-black" people think.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates