Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 PM

72 posts, read 220,944 times

Advertisements

And what is Al Sharptons problem? Why is it ok to call Bush a chimp but not Obama? Last I checked, Obama didn't write the Stimulus Bill. And the NY Post still had to apologize...

Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
That's nothing to do with race, per se....black people in the US are far more impoverished (always have been). I don't believe that race has anything to do with one's inclination to go out and commit the disgusting act of rape.

Why aren't poor White areas such as Kentucky and West Virginia full of cases of rape, particularly gang-rape?

I've often said that you're more likely to be struck by lightning whilst simultaneously being attacked by a shark, than you are to be gang-raped by White men.

Class/poverty has absolutely nothing to do with rape. Do you think somebody who is poor thinks, "gee, I'm poor, I might as well go out and jump on some random woman, have my homies hold her down, I get a go, then they all get a turn..."

Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
That's nothing to do with race, per se....black people in the US are far more impoverished (always have been). I don't believe that race has anything to do with one's inclination to go out and commit the disgusting act of rape.

Clearly attitude and culture count for something. You didn't have blacks going hog-wild on each other back in the 1920s and 1930s, when they had the Harlem Renaissance. They weren't singing about their women being hoes and b**ches.

Maybe you didn't know it, since mainstream history books don't really cover it, but there were several hundred black-on-black lynchings back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, mostly because back then they didn't believe in "stop snitching" and "mind yo business" they tried to keep their own community in order.

Clearly, decades of being told "the evil nasty White man needs to be destroyed!" hasn't achieved anything positive for the Black community, unless you count the total destruction and obliteration of the Black family as a positive achievement.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Would you rather walk through Kentucky or Somalia?
What I would rather is to walk through a community of vegan scientists bent on compassion to ease suffering. You can keep both Kentucky and Somalia in this hypothetical.

Quote:
As for your links and studies, I dispute the validity and objectivity of such studies. They set out wanting to prove something and then they arrived at what they wanted to prove. Rushton set out wanting to find out if there was any racial component to intelligence and physical development and he found that it follows the pattern of the rK strategy.
Rushton is a quack. That much is obvious. On the flip side, eh, maybe I could swallow a sociologist. Psychologists, ime, are such whiners. If you knew any better you'd know that natural scientists tend to give them the hard snub. It's such poppy ****. Why? Because it's almost impossible to do research and loosely process data without bias. The field had to re-invent stats. Honestly, I don't think any person should be granted an advance degree in psych without an advanced degree in physiology. They so often make asses of themselves. The statistical value of R2 = 0.999 is dumbed downed to a whopping .4 in the social sciences. That was my experience at least. I don't mean to offend anyone saying this but it just wouldn't play out in the sciences that have actual application.

Quote:
I've read COUNTLESS works/articles where people say race and intelligence have nothing to do with each other. The difference between you and I in regards to research is that I've also read Rushton, extensively, as well as other scientists of similar views, so I've studied both sides of the argument. Heck, I was raised in a society and spent twelve years in a public school system that DEMANDS a near religious adherence to the idea that race and intelligence have nothing to do with each other. After studying the evidence and considering the issue, I've made my decision as to which argument has validity.
Whatever argument you want to make IRT racial differences and intelligence I will leave for another poster. This gender crap has been cleary snuffed. And even though I don't like our former president, one thing he did will go down in history, and that is the bridging of the maths and sciences gaps between girls and boys. That alone has so much value for me, as a woman. In the end, if so many were clearly wrong about men and women, than why should any reasonable person expect something different among the races?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
What happened to the days when my friends and I could all poke fun at one another on matters of race? When did we get so serious? I've got friends of all races and we would tease one another about stereotypes and joke around with another without anyone getting insulted or trying to figure out what was meant by any of it. It was just all around fun. Now the mere mention of race gets everyone stirred up in this country. Now that folks like Sharpton can cash in on it, and threaten corporations with boycotts, he not only has influence over sponsors of TV and radio, he also commits racial blackmail to companies who don't make donations to his "foundation".

I swear there were less problems in the workplace during the 80's without all of the diversity training and constant harping on race relations. I worked with many blacks and hispanics back then and we got along fine without someone telling us how much we supposedly hate one another and how we should act around one another. At some point we all have to move forward, but we won't if we keep debating the evils of slavery, life prior to the civil rights movement, and diversity training, all of which just tightens the tension around us, rather than heel old wounds...only time can do that.
Oh, I'd say it got bad around the time it started looking like Obama was going to get elected.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What I would rather is to walk through a community of vegan scientists bent on compassion to ease suffering. You can keep both Kentucky and Somalia in this hypothetical.

Rushton is a quack. That much is obvious. On the flip side, eh, maybe I could swallow a sociologist. Psychologists, ime, are such whiners. If you knew any better you'd know that natural scientists tend to give them the hard snub. It's such poppy ****. Why? Because it's almost impossible to do research and loosely process data without bias. The field had to re-invent stats. Honestly, I don't think any person should be granted an advance degree in psych without an advanced degree in physiology. They so often make asses of themselves. The statistical value of R2 = 0.999 is dumbed downed to a whopping .4 in the social sciences. That was my experience at least. I don't mean to offend anyone saying this but it just wouldn't play out in the sciences that have actual application.

Whatever argument you want to make IRT racial differences and intelligence I will leave for another poster. This gender crap has been cleary snuffed. And even though I don't like our former president, one thing he did will go down in history, and that is the bridging of the maths and sciences gaps between girls and boys. That alone has so much value for me, as a woman. In the end, if so many were clearly wrong about men and women, than why should any reasonable person expect something different among the races?
Heck, my observation is that women are smarter than men. Anecdotal though it may be, LOL!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Maybe the difference is that most white people really don't care or focus on this kind of racism....as much as other minorities do. I could care less if any group of people like me or not due to my race. I would never feel 'less than' because of another races negative reactions.

I don't mean that as a glib statement....but after rereading it....it almost sounds offensive and prejudice in a different kind of way. Hmmm.....I'll have to think about this.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Maybe the difference is that most white people really don't care or focus on this kind of racism....as much as other minorities do. I could care less if any group of people like me or not due to my race. I would never feel 'less than' because of another races negative reactions.

I don't mean that as a glib statement....but after rereading it....it almost sounds offensive and prejudice in a different kind of way. Hmmm.....I'll have to think about this.
I haven't looked in on this thread for some time now....but your post caught my eye; and I can assure you of ONE thing...if you THINK that you're being "offensive and prejudiced", you probably ARE.....and even when you DON'T think you're being offensive, and DON'T think you're being prejudiced..there's a pretty good chance that you STILL are, ANYWAY !!

Welcome to the world of PC, where the 'normal' racists are offensive enough in their own right, but the WORST racists are those who THINK they're nice people, and don't even REALIZE they're racists.

It's not simple, that's for sure....

Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
According to the Department of Justice-

In the United States in 2005, 37,460 white females were sexually assaulted or raped by a black man, while between zero and ten black women were sexually assaulted or raped by a white man.

These are reported rapes, if you believe the idea that only 10 percent of rapes are reported, this means that approximately 370,000 White women are raped by Black men, while approximately 0-100 Black women are raped by White men in the USA.

Likewise you can look at prison rape and see a similar dynamic. There are ongoing lawsuits right now with White inmates demanding segregated accommodations since they are tired of being subjected to anal rape by Black inmates.

You're more likely to be raped by a Black stranger than anybody else. After that, I'd have to speculate probably a person of the same race (in your case White) who is at least on somewhat familiar terms with you. Although again, as I said, the second part is speculation, I have no specific facts/data on that. However, there are mountains of data on the first part, about the racial nature of rape.
Not true. How to tell a Date Rapist from a Stranger Rapist | eHow.com "A stranger rapist is an opportunity criminal. He often strikes without planning and in most cases rapes his own kind. In essence, he operates near his own neighborhood and attacks women who are like him. If he’s white, he tends to go after white women, and if he’s black he’ll probably rape black women. Most stranger rapists are white men in their early thirties. The age-old fear of black men raping white women is, in most cases, just a myth that played upon white fears of black independence."

So, my friend, what you posted is a bunch of crap. Don't go around trying to spread fear of black men because of a personal prejudice you have. The prison statements are as false as the other.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Why aren't poor White areas such as Kentucky and West Virginia full of cases of rape, particularly gang-rape?

I've often said that you're more likely to be struck by lightning whilst simultaneously being attacked by a shark, than you are to be gang-raped by White men.

Class/poverty has absolutely nothing to do with rape. Do you think somebody who is poor thinks, "gee, I'm poor, I might as well go out and jump on some random woman, have my homies hold her down, I get a go, then they all get a turn..."
Must be you don't count incest and inbreeding. Black people don't usually do those things, whites do.

That's just plain ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates