Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:41 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times

Advertisements

It seems that lots of folks like to remind us of their race, as if it weren't apparent to begin with. That goes for religion also. And now days, even their sexual orientation seems to be an open topic to share with us all, whether we care, or want to hear about it, or not. There are several Comedians that tell us their religion, with in the first 5 minutes of their little routine.---just a heads up, ---We don't care. We have lives of our own. Keep all that personal stuff between family members.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 AM

218 posts, read 580,388 times
sterlinggirl, WHAT A GREAT point. I see this constantly on these threads. If a liberal-minded individual moves to a town where churches are predominant, all of a sudden, its a town described as one that "stuffs religion down your throat." If a conservative-minded individual moved to S.F. and complained about certain routine cultural behavior being predominant, I think we know what they would be called, don't we? I think one of the main problems we have in the USA is that racism is discussed and discussed, and discussed and discussed, ad nauseum. Can't we just get OVER ourselves and accept people for the character and not the skin color? From time immemorial, there will be bigots and on BOTH sides and in all colors. What else is new? Sheesh. No matter how many goofy laws are passed, there will always be a few. America is still a place where most places you can make it no matter WHAT your skin, religion, etc.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM

There will always be a few individuals that have a hard time, that's a given. But the weaker of them will blame not being successful on their being part of some group or the other. "People to save the snails" for instance.--the truth is, till a Man stands on his own two feet, and quits crying about how rough he has had it, he is just a victim of his own mind. --I dare any one of any race color or shoe size to show me thay have had it any harder than me, or many of my friends. I say "so what Crybabies", get up and get on with your lives. the pity party was last week. If your waiting for me to feel sorry for you, you'll be waitin till the beans get cold. ---Now, can I buy you a cold drink, and some hostess snow balls??

Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
critical shortage of white guilt exists-- need to start offshore drilling immediately. importing from mexico is not working.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM

I have made it a point in my life to actually treat my fellow Man with courtesy and respect. I rode in the back of the bus, behind the brass "colored" signs, and was promptly thrown off the bus. ---so I will accept no blame for what some body did to somebody else somewhere I wasn't at.--If I didn't do, leave me out of it. Do I blame a whole race for the scars on my face, No. Just the few who did it, and nobody else.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
....First of all, many people choose to label themself in that way, in fact I can recall scrolling through a directory of physicians, and coming upon an ad for a Pych. beginning his ad like this.." As an African-American physician, I graduated from the Medical College Of Ga, and focus my work on family therapy.." I mean, excatly what prevelance does his race have to be an acceptable doctor? I am confused.
None, but I would assume the doctor is pointing this out to attract those African-Americans who might feel more comfortable with another African-American.

I can easily see someone placing the same advert and saying "Christian physician."

Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
Okay, well I see your point, but lets go a litle further on the issue. Why are there African American, Asian-American, Latin-American colleges, associations, non-profits, scholarships, etc. etc. ? Why do you as a race feel it is okay to label yourself in one area, but not to in another? I have never seen an Anglo-American Association, or Caucasion American College, and I am pretty sure that will never happen....
If you go to Google and search for Irish-American scholarships/associations/clubs/societies etc. etc., you will find no lack of them. And, sustitute German, Italian and so on for Irish and the results will be the same. Perhaps this kind of identification is not something that you have in your life but many whites do. These groups are clearly default white, with few exceptions.

Americans have been forming these kinds of self-promotional associations based on ethnicity and race for as long as there has been a U.S. I don't see these as harmful, or difficult to understand.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM

218 posts, read 580,388 times
K - and this is not an American thing. My nephew married a Japanese girl. Over the years, she has been amazed that we all were not aware of how institutional and cultural racism is just part of the Japanese every life. America does far far better than many countries when it comes to equality. There will always be a few who are just not nice people and look down on others for a myriad of reasons. Many times it has nothing at all to do with race. I'm with the other posters - just treat everyone as how you would like to be treated. And when others demean you for WHATEVER reason, just forgive and move on. Bitterness hurts only one person - the one who is bitter.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
what is reverse racism? not disliking someone because of their race? racism is racism, no matter how you cut it

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
our ability to speak up has been hampered in many areas not just civil rights.
we have lost our sense of "we". our ability to band and act together.
the new american mindset, if it did not happen to me, it didnt happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates