Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
They, who? Block what road? Pulling what people from cars and where?

LA riots, Cincinnati riots, Katrina/New Orleans, etc.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Regarding my use of "my community". I have friends of many different races, ethnic backgronds and from different cultures. However, I have a great love of the community from which I rise. It bothers me that so many people think that they "know" the Black community when they really only know one aspect of the Black community.
I'm Italian. I'm from Jersey. A couple of years ago I met up with friend and his guy from work was with him. He grew in MA (where I am now). He's Italian. He started spoofing his mom and grandma. Dam straight he was hitting my family straight on! It was funny as all hell. Now, I can't speak for all Italian Americans but I feel that we have enough commonalities to consider ourselves a community. If you're not Italian, it's unlikely you will get it. Of course we have more experience and knowledge about our own cultures.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
LA riots, Cincinnati riots, Katrina/New Orleans, etc.
Still though, that isn't systemic racism.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
punishment. why are so many willing to make an issue of racisim? bek a man with a 38 is always lookin to pick a fight with the unarmed.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I realize that tempers get the best of us sometimes, and I am really hoping this is what happened in this quote from you. You seemed to be a reasonable person, but what you said here totally negates this assumption. What you said here was wrong. Really wrong. You used stereotypes of the lowest order to try and make your point. Even with some of the intelligent things you had to say, you totally wiped out your credibility with this. Why in the world would you say something like this? Do you truly believe it? If so, you are no better than the worst racist here. There are many types of racism, not just the type that happens to affect you.

I am sincerely not trying to provoke or offend you. I just think what you said was in really poor taste, and that perhaps you did not "think it through" before posting it.

Sometimes you have to hold a mirror up to others to get them to "get" to what you are saying.

People are so very quick to toss out stereotypes of other groups but when they are confronted with the stereotypes that others place on theirs, they are stunned!

But interesting that all of the negative comments and stereotypes regarding Black people (and other groups) go unchallenged.

I have never discriminated against a person because they happened to be poor and White. But I have had someone who was poor and White say to me "That n----- thinks she's better than us" when I was visiting relatives in Texas.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So because some nasty things happened 100 years ago, I and people alive today deserve to suffer for it?
100 years ago...this still happens today.

Step outside of your bubble and educate yourself.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Still though, that isn't systemic racism.
Then what do you call it?

Psychological warfare has been waged against White people, driving tens of millions out of the major urban areas in this nation. Since 1960 approximately 750,000 Whites have been murdered and at least several million White women have been raped, by Blacks. If that isn't a calculated campaign to ethnically cleanse cities by driving out Whites, then I don't know what is.

They say from 1870 to 1970 about 3,000 blacks were lynched by White mobs... At the rate things are going, by 2060, probably 3,000,000 Whites will have been killed by Blacks in this nation, from 1960 to 2060.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Step outside of your bubble and educate yourself.

Over 700,000 Whites have been killed by Blacks since 1960.

Three thousand blacks were lynched from 1870-1970 by Whites.

CRY ME A RIVER

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Indeed it does. But, there may be sanctuaries for the affluent blacks. Of course, that's of little help for the majority (I'm guessing).

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:

Realize that you will NEVER truly suffer the way that we have.
Great Famine (Ireland) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Holocaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human trafficking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everybody suffers, black and white and everybody has a point in their history where their forefathers suffered. People are still being bought and sold as slaves today but I guess you're not interested in that becase apparently they're not American? It's all about what you suffered and nobody could possibly understand it if they don't have the same skin colour. But you're not racist.

Over a quarter of the population of Ireland was either starved to death or relocated during the Potato Famine. That would be "white" people who weren't even referred to as slaves. But it's fairly obvious that they were, it's also fairly obvious that they were considered second class citizens, EVEN lower than slaves in some cases.

Now I know you'll dismiss it all because I'm white so who cares right? Ultimately though, yes black people suffered because of slavery and racism BUT they weren't the only ones. I don't get some special dispensation from the Irish government allowing me to reclaim my ancestoral lands because the British stole them and starved my family to the point where they had to immigrate just to survive. There's no special scholarships set up by the government I can access in order to learn my native Celtic language which was systemically obliterated from existence. You can laugh at that and dimish it all you like but it happened that way AND I don't spend my life insisting that I get special treatment because of past misdoings. I also don't hold a grudge against the British now for past policy.
I don't think that black people are any better or worse off than me because of the colour of their skin and I don't agree that I'm living some kind of eutopic ideal because I'm white. White doesn't give me a free pass with ANYTHING. I don't spend my days worrying that Blacks might be getting more than me, most people of ANY colour are getting more than me and so be it. I also don't resent them getting opportunities now to make up for past wrongs BUT it's not fair that people of lower socio economic backgrounds of ANY colour aren't also receiving the same opportunities no matter what their racial background.

I'm not trying to dimish or negate or mock what black people have gone through but please at least have the decency to extend the same courtesy to everyone. Your inability to acknowledge anybody else's suffering other than your own is short sighted at best and offensive and sinister at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates