Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Milwaukee, actually, the "cream" of Asia is what you see in America. True Asia still resides in Asia - poor, illiterate and still developing.
You are spot-on.

Also; the Blacks who immigrated freely from Africa qualify as the creme de la creme.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
I think that the main problem is that you seem to lump ALL Blacks and ALL Hispanics into one catergory (
I have never done this, all I said it seems like the majority.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I have never done this, all I said it seems like the majority.
To state the obvious, "some" people enjoy wallowing in ignorance and misinformation about other groups of people.

In reading through your posts, you obviously have limited experience with minorities at higher socioeconomic levels. Yes, they do exist. And yes, these groups of upper middle class (and higher) Blacks/Latinos are selective about the "types" of Whites with whom them will associate.

It has been my personal experience that lower income Whites typically have the most "issues" with Blacks/Latinos....especially if they (the lower income/class Whites) have not accomplished very much within their own right. These are the ones who scream "reverse racism" or "racial quotas" or "affirmative action token" etc.

These are the people who will ignore blatant examples of Black success and embrace examples of Black failure as "the standard"....because it makes them feel like less of a failure than they really are in life.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
What would say a bout an ethnic group of people who,
1. Had a 400 year head start acquiring , wealth,opportunity, land and privilege
2. Have enjoyed Majority status for 400 years
3. command most of the wealth of the most wealthiest Nation in the world
4. over 300 years of passing law intended to maintain their status.
5. by some accounts have an IQ higher average than most people
But who still have criminals, some who commit heinous crimes against the very country that provided them with this superior status, who still have members who are poor and struggling in abject poverty, and large numbers of this group are no better off than illegal aliens , and impoverished oppressed minorities ? is some thing wrong with them or do we have a malfunctioning system if despite every advantage history and the modern word has to offer a group , the are no guarantees for success no mater how long you boot straps are.?

Last edited by thriftylefty; 06-12-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What would say a bout an ethnic group of people who,
1. Had a 400 year head start acquiring , wealth,opportunity, land and privilege
2. Have enjoyed Majority status for 400 years
3. command most of the wealth of the most wealthiest Nation in the world
4. over 300 years of passing law intended to maintain their status.
5. by some accounts have an IQ higher average than most people
But who still have criminals, some who commit heinous crimes against the very country that provided them with this superior status, who still have members who are poor and struggling in abject poverty, and large numbers of this group are no better off than illegal aliens , and impoverished oppressed minorities ? is some thing wrong with them or do we have a malfunctioning system if the despite every advantage history and the modern word has to offer a group , the are no guarantees for success no mater how long you boot straps are.?

Are you referring to the Egyptians, as written about in the Bible book of Exodus?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM

366 posts, read 1,186,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Are you referring to the Egyptians, as written about in the Bible book of Exodus?
Or White Americans???

Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_girl View Post
It is easy to say, hey why don't they just take themselves out of the "hood". But minors (kids under the age of 18) don't get to just say "hey I'm out of this dump!" , and pack up their stuff and leave. The ones that do often end up in a worse situation than they left. It is difficult to leave all you know behind, including family and friends. Also money and education are requirements, and they often have neither in abundant supply by the age of 18.
Why am I focusing on 18? Because by that age most people's lives are already set on a course. And many black youths have already been thrown off course from the path of success by that age. Most are growing up in single parent homes, where they are not getting the parental support that they need to get ahead educationally. Mommy is not checking their homework and involved in the PTA because she is working long, odd hours to support her kids, her ailing parents, etc. etc. Or Mommy never graduated high school herself and HER parents were illiterate due to the realities of that day and time. Yes, poverty and low acheivement can be generational because as they say the apple often doesn't fall far from the tree. And if the tree is planted in a wasteland instead of a lush valley, well there you go.
At the extreme end of the spectrum you have the 13 and 14 year olds who are subjected to pressures from gang members in the neighborhood. It is easy to say that they should just avoid these people, but sometimes these people don't want to be ignored and go out of their way to cause trouble for others. They threaten the safety of your family members if you refuse to do what they want- and they know where you and your family live. The police are no protection. They often don't arrive in the hood until it is too late.
And so little Jayquon will go deliver the little brown paper bag of whatever, just to keep the gang off his back. One delivery turns to two, and before you know it he has a police record before the age of 18. This is how they get sucked in. And once they have a record, even if they try to turn their life around it is often a very hard process with many colleges/businesses not wanting to take the chance. Now Jayquon has trouble financially supporting himself, and his life inexorably slides into more poverty and crime.
Your current way of thinking is too simplistic to tackle the complexities of a problem that took decades in the making.
Do not say that history does not matter for kids born after 1990, because people do not spring from vacuums. We are born into and inherit the problems or sucesses of our families. And environment ofcourse is a large factor. Ghettos are environments created from the turns of history. And they are still here waiting for the children born in 2009.
Thank you love!.....You said it the best!! Some people are just too blind......

Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM

341 posts, read 641,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm not Puerto Rican I'm A polish American, I'm not even going to debate you since you cannot even spell or look into my personal profile and see that I'm white and Polish before getting all offended and worked up and calling me ignorant just do your best to answer the question in a respectful manner.

Dear Milwaukee City, I am European and I have been everywhere in the Europe. My bad but not just mine is from Poland (still money, there are many auto thefts...and so so). And what you expected now? That I say how bad are polish people? No, I didn't say that. But more people travel, more they now about other cultures more tolerate they are, more respectful they are to the other. And if you are talking how high is crime in Hispanic or African-American communities than you need to firs ask yourself why. You wrote that you are polish American but you or your parents, grandparents didn't came here as slaves. They came for the better future. But ALL of grandparents of the African-Americans were slaves. They didn't want to come. If you have a time go one day to visit Milwaukee Holocaust Museum.
And please, apologize for my bad English.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I agree there is so much fear. So much.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_girl View Post
It is easy to say, hey why don't they just take themselves out of the "hood". But minors (kids under the age of 18) don't get to just say "hey I'm out of this dump!" , and pack up their stuff and leave. The ones that do often end up in a worse situation than they left. It is difficult to leave all you know behind, including family and friends. Also money and education are requirements, and they often have neither in abundant supply by the age of 18.
Why am I focusing on 18? Because by that age most people's lives are already set on a course. And many black youths have already been thrown off course from the path of success by that age. Most are growing up in single parent homes, where they are not getting the parental support that they need to get ahead educationally. Mommy is not checking their homework and involved in the PTA because she is working long, odd hours to support her kids, her ailing parents, etc. etc. Or Mommy never graduated high school herself and HER parents were illiterate due to the realities of that day and time. Yes, poverty and low acheivement can be generational because as they say the apple often doesn't fall far from the tree. And if the tree is planted in a wasteland instead of a lush valley, well there you go.
At the extreme end of the spectrum you have the 13 and 14 year olds who are subjected to pressures from gang members in the neighborhood. It is easy to say that they should just avoid these people, but sometimes these people don't want to be ignored and go out of their way to cause trouble for others. They threaten the safety of your family members if you refuse to do what they want- and they know where you and your family live. The police are no protection. They often don't arrive in the hood until it is too late.
And so little Jayquon will go deliver the little brown paper bag of whatever, just to keep the gang off his back. One delivery turns to two, and before you know it he has a police record before the age of 18. This is how they get sucked in. And once they have a record, even if they try to turn their life around it is often a very hard process with many colleges/businesses not wanting to take the chance. Now Jayquon has trouble financially supporting himself, and his life inexorably slides into more poverty and crime.
Your current way of thinking is too simplistic to tackle the complexities of a problem that took decades in the making.
Do not say that history does not matter for kids born after 1990, because people do not spring from vacuums. We are born into and inherit the problems or successes of our families. And environment of course is a large factor. Ghettos are environments created from the turns of history. And they are still here waiting for the children born in 2009.
Nice points.

I would add that the tipping point is somewhere around age 10-10.5. In that zone of inflection, the transition between happy, resilient kid and pre-teen. The die has not yet been cast. Malleability is there. Mom (and hopefully Dad)'s words still carry the day. Peer pressure has not yet bared its teeth. The ability to compare lifestyles within the community and against others have not yet developed. Love is still considered the best thing. Kids are in elementary school, not junior high. Sexuality is still a couple of years off. Teacher discipline still holds sway. Accountability and responsibility still govern hearts. Teachers are no yet fatigued. Parents still have hope. Money is not really so huge a factor.

Within three years all can turn 180*.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates