Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 11:50 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I have been buying shaved ice at Clemson football and baseball games for over 20 years. A little past fad status.

Outside of Greenville, i've seen those little shaved ice stands quite a number of places. Don't need a whole lot to run one, some flavored syrup, ice, a grinder and some paper cups. Haven't seen many within Greenville itself. I did in the past.. Assumed maybe they put some laws in place restricting setting up those tiny buildings.

10 cents of materials selling for about 3 bucks. Not a bad margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
Shaved ice is not a fad. It's extremely popular in the Northeast and has been for a long time.
Huh? I spent the 1st 26 years of my life in NJ and never new what shaved ice was. Maybe your thinking of Italian ice like Ritas? That's quite popular up north.

https://www.ritasice.com/

Old 08-15-2019, 09:13 AM

401 posts, read 379,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Huh? I spent the 1st 26 years of my life in NJ and never new what shaved ice was. Maybe your thinking of Italian ice like Ritas? That's quite popular up north.

https://www.ritasice.com/
They are essentially the same thing, just renamed shaved ice for consumption outside of the Northeast.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:30 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
I am a born and bred southerner and I have always known them and heard them called snow cones going back decades. Nothing new here. I believe there is one on Poinsett Hwy in Greenville. They used to sell them on the beach here from push carts years ago.

Interesting shaved ice has its origins all over the world under different names if you look it up.

Last edited by vistatiger; 08-15-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
They are essentially the same thing, just renamed shaved ice for consumption outside of the Northeast.

Not really. Two different methods to make them.

Snow Cones and Shaved Ice I'd agree are basically the same thing.

Italian Ice, here's a recipe..

https://food52.com/blog/10909-how-to...an-ice-at-home

You take ice, the ingredients, throw them together, blend them up.. Freeze.

Whereas shaved ice/snow cones are ice that's shaved and flavoring added on top. And generally, it's syrup on top whereas Italian ice is generally actual fruit.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They are nothing alike. Shaved ice is gross, it's literally ice with sugary, sticky food dye poured over it. Real Italian ice is frozen ice and fruit.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not really. Two different methods to make them.

Snow Cones and Shaved Ice I'd agree are basically the same thing.

Italian Ice, here's a recipe..

https://food52.com/blog/10909-how-to...an-ice-at-home

You take ice, the ingredients, throw them together, blend them up.. Freeze.

Whereas shaved ice/snow cones are ice that's shaved and flavoring added on top. And generally, it's syrup on top whereas Italian ice is generally actual fruit.
Yes, correct. Up north, we called them "snow cones" and they're gross.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:31 AM

453 posts, read 646,687 times
It looks like Wake Foot Sanctuary downtown abruptly closed. They were only open around 3 and half months. There's a note on the door apologizing for the inconvenience, with a number to call for anyone who has gift certificates. Must've caught 'em off-guard; they were posting 'now hiring' notices on Facebook as recently as a week ago.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It looks like Wake Foot Sanctuary downtown abruptly closed. They were only open around 3 and half months. There's a note on the door apologizing for the inconvenience, with a number to call for anyone who has gift certificates. Must've caught 'em off-guard; they were posting 'now hiring' notices on Facebook as recently as a week ago.

Website says

"We will be temporarily closed while we improve our services for our guests."

I just got curious because I'd never heard of this place.. Had to look up what it was.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:29 PM

453 posts, read 646,687 times
Ah, I missed that on their site. There's no mention of it on their Facebook or Instagram pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area