Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wonder how long before Woodruff Rd collapses under its own weight into a giant retail black hole..

Or, perhaps, how long ago that happened.

Anyone remember when you totally avoided Haywood Rd from the day after Thanksgiving until a week past new years? Now.. Haywood isn't so bad. Either because Woodruff has taken alot of the traffic, or just from comparison to Woodruff.
Interesting how all this stuff cycles. It was the north end of Woodruff Rd. back before Haywood Mall. Then all the retail moved to Laurens Rd and then to Haywood Rd. Now it has shifted back to Woodruff Rd. but further south.

Maybe next it will all move back downtown - I'm pretty sure the government offices off of Church St were the site of Greenville's first mall way back in the day before McAlister Square and Greenville Mall.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I'm pretty sure the government offices off of Church St were the site of Greenville's first mall way back in the day before McAlister Square and Greenville Mall.
Bell Tower. That closed well before I moved back to the area in 91.. Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, either.. There was a "Wade Hampton Mall".. Which I don't think was a true mall in the sense of what we're used to in this day and age, and that is now a part of Bob Jones.

I remember some interesting things.. Eh, going to do a new topic on theaters. Don't want to hijack this one. Theaters in Greenville are about a story in and of themselves.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Here's a question.. What's the story with 385 and N Pleasantburg? The quality inn there? It's being dismantled/demolished now.. I assume that means that there are plans in the works to redo the interchange there?

Coming north on 385 and taking the N Pleasantburg exit and attempting to shoot across 4 lanes of traffic to make the left onto Century Dr every day for work suuuucks.. I generally go south on Pleasantburg and loop around.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:18 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Here's a question.. What's the story with 385 and N Pleasantburg? The quality inn there? It's being dismantled/demolished now.. I assume that means that there are plans in the works to redo the interchange there?

Coming north on 385 and taking the N Pleasantburg exit and attempting to shoot across 4 lanes of traffic to make the left onto Century Dr every day for work suuuucks.. I generally go south on Pleasantburg and loop around.
I heard it was Quik Trip.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM

505 posts, read 940,554 times
the interchange at Pleasantburg and 385 was completely redone around 2000-02. They would not be redoing it again already.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:20 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
the interchange at Pleasantburg and 385 was completely redone around 2000-02. They would not be redoing it again already.
Thats correct. That interchange is much better now and works well. There is a fence around that Quality Inn now and it is being stripped of anything that can be recycled I guess but it seems to be taking forever and its a major eyesore. Only see a few working there occasionally.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Bell Tower. That closed well before I moved back to the area in 91.. Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, either.. There was a "Wade Hampton Mall".. Which I don't think was a true mall in the sense of what we're used to in this day and age, and that is now a part of Bob Jones.

I remember some interesting things.. Eh, going to do a new topic on theaters. Don't want to hijack this one. Theaters in Greenville are about a story in and of themselves.
Yes, there was a Wade Hampton Mall, designated as such up to the mid 1990s. Tenants included Winn Dixie (currently BJU Primary Center), Eckerd Drug with restaurant (currently an education store), and a two screen cinema down below near Batesview Drive (now BJU maintenance). Both Winn Dixie and Eckerd moved down Wade Hampton Boulevard in the late 1990s and late 1990s respectively.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I heard it was Quik Trip.
QuikTrip is what I have been hearing. An application for an underground tank storing gasoline filed by QuikTrip with DHEC would confirm this.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,131 times
Quote:

Wade Hampton Mall was a "true" mall. It just wasn't a mall with a roof. It had the typical design of stores around a central courtyard. Some of the stores did good business but it never had the big department stores as a draw and the open-air design never worked. The concrete inner court was too hot in the summer; too cold in the winter; and too wet when it rained. People parked as close as they could to the store they wanted to visit. A few occasional skateboarders used the court when they could.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM

186 posts, read 358,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What's going in between Atlanta Bread and Chick Fil A on Pelham Road? Feels weird for me to be asking this? lol.
Zirkelbach Construction has nothing on their page, and I don't see any contracts other than some work at the existing Pelham Road Elementary. Being rather nosey, I stopped by and asked one of the backhoe operators on site, and his profound answer was "Hey man, you can't be out here while we're working. Go on, GIT!"

Small site, so I'm thinking another fast food joint or dentist office. Sure would love a QT there, though.

(This would be yet another great place to start a rumor about the ever elusive and divisive "Cheesecake Factory.")

Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM

505 posts, read 940,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
Zirkelbach Construction has nothing on their page, and I don't see any contracts other than some work at the existing Pelham Road Elementary. Being rather nosey, I stopped by and asked one of the backhoe operators on site, and his profound answer was "Hey man, you can't be out here while we're working. Go on, GIT!"

Small site, so I'm thinking another fast food joint or dentist office. Sure would love a QT there, though.

(This would be yet another great place to start a rumor about the ever elusive and divisive "Cheesecake Factory.")
Hey man, you can't be talking about Cheesecake Factory while we are in here doing nothing important. Go on, GIT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area