Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 09:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Word is a well-known national retailer is looking to locate at the former site of Kevin Whitaker Chevrolet on North Pleasantburg Drive. A rezoning is required; the public hearing is later in May.
(Upstate Business Journal, 2013-05-03, page 4)

I have heard Kohl's and Target going around the rumor mill for years. Do not know if Walmart Neighborhood Market may be in the mix unless they are opening on Old Buncombe Road near Duncan Chapel Road.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:55 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Anyone know when Great Steak and Potato in Haywood Mall closed up shop? I went over there for lunch on Thursday and she's gone.. Hard to call that 'authentic' philly steak, but it was good.

Someone earlier mentioned some chains that would be nice to have around here.. Roy Rogers.. I honestly thought that place was dead, but it's apparently found a niche again in the DC area, where it all started. I remember them when I was in high school up there.. Hardee's bought them in the early 90's to get the chicken and all the ones I knew of switched to Hardee's and/or were sold to McDonalds. They were OK, nothing exceptional in my mind.

Popeyes.. I would LOVE to have a Popeyes around here. When Hardee's dropped chicken 10 years ago or so, the franchisee in, if I recall, Anderson, Greenwood and Hendersonville converted his Hardee's to Popeyes.. They lasted about a year after that and all closed.

As for a Simpsonville Red Lobster.. I haven't seen any movement on that, but I would love to see either O'Charlies, Ruby Tuesday's or Arizona Steakhouse replaced with it or something else.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:16 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
It's been years, I believe, since Great Steak & Potato closed. Seems I remember someone telling me about it while he still worked at the mall. It will be 3 years this fall since he left the mall. Has it really been that long since you've been there?

Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
It's been years, I believe, since Great Steak & Potato closed. Seems I remember someone telling me about it while he still worked at the mall. It will be 3 years this fall since he left the mall. Has it really been that long since you've been there?

No it had reopened as Great Steak last year. Not sure if same owners as before. It closed down again just a few weeks ago.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM

186 posts, read 358,768 times
Lao Hu Cheng's Asian Bistro - just off of The Parkway (I-85/Pelham) on Batesville road - has been open for several months but we just heard good things about it and tried it. This place is GREAT. I don't throw that word around for many places, especially Chinese or Mexican in this area, but, yep, GREAT.

They are in a terrible location, if you don't know the area you'll have to look for it, but try it. (No, I don't know the owner or get a percentage for advertising or anything. I just enjoyed the place that much.)

Huge menu, nice building, good service. Clemson students who ate at the owner's previous restaurant near their campus swear by this place (which is how we heard about it).

Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
As for a Simpsonville Red Lobster.. I haven't seen any movement on that, but I would love to see either O'Charlies, Ruby Tuesday's or Arizona Steakhouse replaced with it or something else.
O'Charlies is always busy in Simpsonville, RT and AZ steakhouse less so, but what would you replace them with (that is not already on Woodruff Rd).

Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
No it had reopened as Great Steak last year. Not sure if same owners as before. It closed down again just a few weeks ago.
I never knew it closed the first time. I hadn't been there in a really long time, (Probably sometime around 2007 to July of 2012) and when I started working closer to the mall, would go over there once in a while to shake up the normal lunch rotation..

Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
O'Charlies is always busy in Simpsonville, RT and AZ steakhouse less so, but what would you replace them with (that is not already on Woodruff Rd).
I'd think that an Outback would do quite well there. Of course, if I had my choice on what to replace them with, rather than a specific chain, I'd probably prefer to see something local. A TRUE steak/seafood restaurant would be nice there.. And I don't mean Silver Bay style. Something that sources 'locally'. Red Lobster will fit that bill for the most part(Minus the 'local'). Arizona just doesn't do it for me, O'Charlies and Ruby Tuesday were both just nasty so far as the food.

Not a whole lot, so far as restaurants, goes away in Simpsonville, and by that I mean the area right along 385. The only ones that I can think of are the Backyard Burgers (Which is now the Zaxby's) and whatever is next to the Panera Bread.. That space seems to be cursed. There was a Cold Stone Creamery(?) there, then a Blueberry Frog, and now it looks like another ice cream shop is set to open and I think I've missed something else that was in that space.. There was also a Happy Pie over by the Bi-Lo, but I think ALL of those went away. EDIT: Oh, and Beef O'Brady's closed.. I never made it, and from what people told me, I'm glad I didn't. There was also a Sherby's Rib House in the Ingles shopping center that closed. Took family there after the circus one year. I switched from iced tea to beer because the tea was so bad there and the food was no improvement.

My favorite place of all.. Saskatoon's in Greenville.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM

321 posts, read 406,716 times
ditto for Popeye's... but I doubt they read this forum... or my emails. :-(

Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
What's going in between Atlanta Bread and Chick Fil A on Pelham Road? Feels weird for me to be asking this? lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area