Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM

379 posts, read 533,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
How's the new house coming along, tngirl? Are busy, busy, busy? Thinking happy thoughts for you up here in Taxachusetts. How are YOU?
Hey girlfriends!! Yes, I am BUSY, BUSY, BUSY!!! The new house closes today at 2:00 p.m. The house I am in now closes on 8-17-12. I am very fortunate that, in these times, my house sold in just 2 weeks!! I know it was meant to be that I get this other house.

The sellers were kind enough and knew my "story" that they have allowed me to go in and start working on the new house (taking down a little wallpaper, tearing out carpets, etc.) before closing. My "newly adopted son" of my "newly adopted families" is a contractor, so he is doing most of the work. The plan is to lay carpet in the 3 bedrooms, ceramic tile in the 2 bathrooms and laundry room, and hardwood in the entry, living room and kitchen. It will be awesome!! This morning I am picking out carpet....I was able to get the whole day off from work!!

Yesterday I met with a gardener who will start cleaning out flowerbeds (that were seriously overgrown), trimming back bushes, etc. A very nice Hispanic guy who came highly recommended. I am also going to tear out the existing deck, go out 4 feet to make it longer, and cover the entire deck. Hopefully, all this work can get done by the time I can move in sometime after 8-17, at least that is the plan.

In the meantime, I am trying to finish packing up my house....have sold a lot of furniture, so won't have a lot to move. I need to buy a sofa and dining room table and chairs, so might look for that today while I am in town.

It has sure kept me busy and focused and my mind is going 10 different ways, but it is all good.

In case I hadn't mentioned it before, the lady that lived in the house I am buying developed alzheimers and moved in with her kids back first part of the year. So the house has really been neglected. While I am sorry for the family that they are going through this with their mom, I feel like I am "saving" this house and giving it the love and care it deserves. At the same time, this house is "saving" me because it has given me a new direction in my new life, a new focus if you will. I will bring my memories and treasures from "our" house into my new house and make new memories, and for all that I am eternally grateful and blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
TNGirl205,

Praises going up! Thank you so much for sharing, especially the details! What are the colors you are choosing
for the carpet; what will be the colors in your home? Am surprised? I lean towards green, all shades, and deeper red
i.e. cranberry or light reds in the kitchen. In WA we have great rooms, mine is currently neutral, beige sofa, walnut
end tables.

Again, so happy for you TNGirl!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Wonderful to hear, tngirl. I am thrilled for you! Sounds like your new house is perfect for you and you for it. God Bless you. (((HUGS)))

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM

10 posts, read 13,706 times
Im sorry Tngirl205.... Ive been with my partner for over 12 years and he is not in good health. I turned 40 last feb. By the time I turned 38 ALL of my family had passed away. My mother was last. I cared for my father. He died when I was 21.. My brother who was a birth defects died when I was 20. I do have 6 siblings but they wont talk to me because Im gay and havent for years.. I dont even know where to find them and I dont care to. I have my partner and thats it! I know Ill lose him one day.. As for staying in your house. Its a personal choice as your seeing and have said. On one hand your reminded of him being sick but on the other good memories. Which out weigh the others? I almost lost both my parents and my brother died in 1 weeek. Feb 1 my dad was in a bad car wreck and was in icu. 2 days after that my mother had a 4 way bypass and crashed on the table.. Both in ICU.. 2 days after that my brother who was sick died at my aunts house.. Now having no family friends have become my family. I have spent my whole life caring for sick people. I understand in a sense what your going through. I know Ill lose my partne and it scares me. He is my everything. Strong, caring, giving, a wonderful man that has done great things and changed the world. If I were you I guess Id weigh the memories. Can you stay and the memories of him being sick not weigh you down or are the good ones better? If you think you cant move past the bad ones then like the car you bought start over..... Move on... Maybe its best for you. As we all know not everyone is the same.. I hope it works out for you

Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 AM

334 posts, read 537,448 times
It will be 2 years for me this month since his passing. I decided to stay put but renovate and redecorate. This way I still retain the memories without hurting as much.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
WeloveGrac, tngirl205 has already bought her new house and is moving on. She has made her decision and it sounds like she made the correct choice for her. Have you read from the begining of this thread? She has already told us her story and how this move is something good for her.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
It will be 2 years for me this month since his passing. I decided to stay put but renovate and redecorate. This way I still retain the memories without hurting as much
It will be 3 years for me, come October. I pretty much did what you did.

I came close to getting a very different place, but decided to stay as well...with some very big changes in how I live in my or "use" my home. Redecorating was a big part, which included moving out of our old bedroom, getting rid of the furniture in it, and turning it into a storage room (which means I dont go in it that much).

I sleep in the spare bedroom, which was used as my study or workroom (my partner called it the Holodeck, after that place in Star Trek)...it had a single bed in it, my old bed from back before we met, and Im sleeping in that now.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 13,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
WeloveGrac, tngirl205 has already bought her new house and is moving on. She has made her decision and it sounds like she made the correct choice for her. Have you read from the begining of this thread? She has already told us her story and how this move is something good for her.

No I missed the whole article. Glad she has moved on. That's all you can do. Honest mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning