Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
An older friend of my parents was at the house about a year after his wife died. I remember him telling them he had started dating again. He grinned when he told why he took so long to date again. Said even as much as he missed his wife, it was nice not being fussed at for leaving the toilet seat up. lol
That's great! I could say the same in reverse. �� I see they make toilets that shut their own seats now. I wonder if that was invented by a woman or a man tired of hearing it too??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I completely understand. Caregiving is extremely stressful. I don't plan to marry again either.
You may never marry again, but you might. There's no way of telling now, is there?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 PM

351 posts, read 492,032 times
There is no magic timeframe. Everyone moves forward at their own pace.

For me, I figured I was ready to date again when I no longer compared my 'date' to my first husband. I then knew I was open to getting to know and accept someone for who they were - not who I wanted them to be.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
There is no magic timeframe. Everyone moves forward at their own pace.

For me, I figured I was ready to date again when I no longer compared my 'date' to my first husband. I then knew I was open to getting to know and accept someone for who they were - not who I wanted them to be.

Good luck to you.
Good advice!...I know I'd probably compare other men to my husband if I did try to date right now. And, this wouldn't be fair...I know I'm not ready yet...Great that you reached a point where you knew you were ready to date and "move-on."

Old 06-11-2014, 04:12 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Whether one is still single, divorced or widowed, the most successful relationships are between two people who want a each other as a companion, not needs each other.
Some good friends may be better for you in the long run for right now than would be going from the frying pan of loneliness to the fire of regret.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Whether one is still single, divorced or widowed, the most successful relationships are between two people who want a each other as a companion, not needs each other.
Some good friends may be better for you in the long run for right now than would be going from the frying pan of loneliness to the fire of regret.
Good friends are important. I don't want to make any mistakes. I know too many people who are divorced. Nothing wrong with that of course but who needs more trauma.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
My wife died of cancer three months ago. I'm not the basket case I was nowadays, but of course my life partner is gone and frankly I'm pretty lonely. I am 52. I wondered what others' experiences are/ were in this situation. Thanks.
I am not widowed and so my advice may not be as good as some you are getting here. Nevertheless, because I am a similar age (54) I will give it.

Live is short. Healthy years of life are even shorter. I suspect your dead spouse wouldn't want you to suffer. She'd be happiest knowing that you got on with your life and found companionship.

Live each day as though it was your last because you never know if that might actually be true.

If you want to go find someone to date, than do so. Plunge into it. Boldly go where you have never gone before.

As others have suggested here. Avoid quick commitments. Avoid rash decisions. However, the fact you are dating doesn't have to mean you are seeking a life partner. It can just mean you want female companionship. Make that point clear.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am not widowed and so my advice may not be as good as some you are getting here. Nevertheless, because I am a similar age (54) I will give it.

Live is short. Healthy years of life are even shorter. I suspect your dead spouse wouldn't want you to suffer. She'd be happiest knowing that you got on with your life and found companionship.

Live each day as though it was your last because you never know if that might actually be true.

If you want to go find someone to date, than do so. Plunge into it. Boldly go where you have never gone before.

As others have suggested here. Avoid quick commitments. Avoid rash decisions. However, the fact you are dating doesn't have to mean you are seeking a life partner. It can just mean you want female companionship. Make that point clear.
Thanks. These are strange days. Am hoping for good things to come.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Dear OP,
I am sorry for your loss of your wife. I was five years older than you when I lost my late husband. Everyone is different, there are no rules. If you find you are in a relationship six months being alone, all the better. This month will make two years and I am not ready for a relationship and I really don't foresee myself in a relationship. Please my only advice is to don't rush into anything, take everything slow.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I always said I would probably remarry if something happened to my wife. She has been undergoing treatment for lung cancer for several years. While she is doing well, the worries, scheduling, the what all's associated with the whole event made me realize she is the only one I could do this for. I could not nor want to do this again. Thus I have changed my mind about remarriage. I would not remarry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning