Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,749,252 times

Advertisements

First you said you aren't broke - then I pointed out your direct quotes: "I look back now and think My goodness, I should have had some good extra cash to save" "which destroyed me fnancially" "I was dying and could not save enough to move out" "To be honest, I have never really recouped that period between 2005 and 2009" "doing "okay" surving" "Im jsut at an age where I don't want to struggle as much" "And I will be the firsst to admit, maybe I could have managed my finances better" "I cannot entertain in my little chinatown room. I"m too embarrassed to be honest" "But I have had times where I could not afford a good pair of shoes when I needed them." Lets take the reasonable person test - that is BROKE.

Oh - and about those shoes - you use the plural ("had times") - so enjoy the shoes from your recent unemployment checks that you feel so entitled. Come on Direct Message folks - lets here from people in Oahu who are thrilled with the unemployment assistance and love this story of cockroaches, being broke, no kitchen, think it is typical, wonder who will support him in retirement (all of you and me by the way) - heck he's in Hawaii - how nice - now what?

Roaches? Hmmm, " the stove had roaches and I never could imagine myself cooking in that" and now you've had to move to a place with no kitchen - come on, you think that is average?

Denial.

Oh, you probably missed this in my other post - Dukes doesn't have happy hour.

Wink gets a lot of ribbing here - heck it is over the top - but you know why we like Wink - he tells the truth.

It was cloudy today - maybe you can tell about your friends that said there wasn't a cloud in the sky today - and that many people say that.

Last edited by whtviper1; 06-17-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,408,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Where are you getting the link is referring to household income? All the link says is that the census has a site for households and goes on to break down median income by age bracket.
They're saying that's where they got the data, not that it's something separate. Plus if you're familiar with income numbers, it's obvious those are what the numbers are. There's no way individual median income for 25-29 is $47k.

Median household income in 2011 was only $49k. That's 7% less than it was in 2000. We are a poor nation and getting poorer. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ome/50383882/1

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
They're saying that's where they got the data, not that it's something separate. Plus if you're familiar with income numbers, it's obvious those are what the numbers are. There's no way individual median income for 25-29 is $47k.
The link is so vague on sources who knows - but if you exclude non-workers I wouldn't be surprised median income for 25-29 is $47K.

If you lived back in Texas - college degree - I've got to think a typical 29 year old makes at least that much. Most much more. Then balance with the non-degree people.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The link is so vague on sources who knows - but if you exclude non-workers I wouldn't be surprised median income for 25-29 is $47K.

If you lived back in Texas - college degree - I've got to think a typical 29 year old makes at least that much. Most much more. Then balance with the non-degree people.
For people with a technical degree, I can see $47k being the median, but not the median for the whole age group. Think of all the people with no degree, or with useless degrees. Most Americans now work in the service industry. You probably don't realize it because the people you associate with are well off professionals. Ask the workers at Costco what they make. They're the typical worker today (or a little better off than typical I bet).

Last edited by winkosmosis; 06-17-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
For people with a technical degree, I can see $47k being the median, but not the median for the whole age group. Think of all the people with no degree, or with useless degrees. Most Americans now work in the service industry. You probably don't realize it because the people you associate with are well off professionals. Ask the workers at Costco what they make. They're the typical worker today.
The workers at Costco are not typical workers - at least in Oahu. Lets go back to facts - the median household income in Oahu is over $70K. I'm talking Oahu. Even an enlisted military person with no college can expect at least $45K at that age range.

If everyone was a Costco typical worker or typically making $15/hr - Oahu would be a massive slum. It isn't.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
The workers at Costco are not typical workers - at least in Oahu. Lets go back to facts - the median household income in Oahu is over $70K. I'm talking Oahu. Even an enlisted military person with no college can expect at least $45K at that age range.

If everyone was a Costco typical worker or typically making $15/hr - Oahu would be a massive slum. It isn't.
I just did a Census search American FactFinder - Results

For Honolulu County, median household income is $68k. For families it's $81k. But for nonfamilies it's only $40k. 32% of nonfamilies make less than $25000. 44% of nonfamilies make less than $35k. So I'd say $15/hr is pretty typical

$40k is $20/hr full time. If $15/hr would make Oahu a bunch of slums, I think the same goes for $20/hr. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if that $40k median worker is working 53 hours a week for $15/hr

Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Since you've opened the door counselor - you;ll also notice the mean income (average) is above $54K for single residents. You can slice and dice - but the typical person wage in Oahu is not a costco wage or else we'd be in one huge slum. Mean fits well for Oahu since income usually skewed towards very high wage earners (lets say investment bankers which doesnt apply here) - if anything, it is skewed on the low end.

Last edited by whtviper1; 06-17-2012 at 10:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Since you've opened the door counselor - you;ll also notice the mean income (average) is above $54K for single residents. You can slice and dice - but the typical person wage in Oahu is not a costco wage or else we'd be in one huge slum. Mean fits well for Oahu since income usually skewed towards very high wage earners (lets say investment bankers which doesnt apply here) - if anything, it is skewed on the low end.
Why do you say mean fits well because it's skewed to the high end? I prefer median because it's the person who is richer than half the population and poorer than the other half.

Total income is about 26 billion. So if a few billionaires moved to Oahu, it would increase the mean by some percentage points, but it doesn't Joe Median isn't any richer.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM

I did another search to compare Honolulu and Maui and found something interesting. There is also a statistic called "median earnings for workers". That would be the number we are looking for as typical income, because it includes everybody regardless of their household type, and it excludes non workers. For Honolulu County it's only $32k which is $16/hr full time.

http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/10_5YR/DP03/0500000US15003

Last edited by winkosmosis; 06-17-2012 at 11:45 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I did another search to compare Honolulu and Maui and found something interesting. There is also a statistic called "median earnings for workers". That would be the number we are looking for as typical income, because it includes everybody regardless of their household type, and it excludes non workers. For Honolulu County it's only $32k which is $16/hr full time.

http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/10_5YR/DP03/0500000US15003
What do the last two lines of the table say for full time workers? Certainly much more than 32K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii