Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

everybody wants to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Spraying weeds pays the same as my last county unionized GIS job... HC&S Utility Operator - Weed Control

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-10-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Spraying weeds pays the same as my last county unionized GIS job... HC&S Utility Operator - Weed Control
Lots of people would love to work for $15.62 an hour that make less than that now. However, if you worked in IT you could make 3 to 4 times that (or more) after several years experience. But you probably couldn't live in Hawaii unless you could take your mainland IT job with you. I know several people who used to be engineers, but switched to IT because the money is better.

You may really enjoy the GIS work, but if you make compromises, you can make substantially more money. Although, one of the sacrifices may very well be living on the mainland instead of the Hawaii. One downside to making more money is paying more taxes. But you still come out ahead making significantly more money in the long run. You can live well below your means and save a very high percentage of your income. Afer investing money for a couple decades, you could be a millionaire or close to it. At that point in time, you could retire early and live in Hawaii.

If you don't want to make the sacrifices in your younger working years, you can keep doing what you're doing now, making the same as someone who sprays weeds with no retirement in your future.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:09 PM

133 posts, read 182,410 times
Seems to be a fair wage for the weed control job - especially given the exposure to pesticides and hazardous chemicals.

Winkomosis, Curious. Are you still in the GIS field and are you looking to venture into another area that may be more profitable?

I'm not in GIS but, in a pseudo-tech role. My pay is decent but, am open to / contemplating possible career moves that may increase my salary potential. I imagine you have a lot of transferrable IT skills already.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
Seems to be a fair wage for the weed control job - especially given the exposure to pesticides and hazardous chemicals.

Winkomosis, Curious. Are you still in the GIS field and are you looking to venture into another area that may be more profitable?

I'm not in GIS but, in a pseudo-tech role. My pay is decent but, am open to / contemplating possible career moves that may increase my salary potential. I imagine you have a lot of transferrable IT skills already.
Yes I agree it's a fair wage, or even less than fair for spraying weeds. But if your job requires a degree, specialized knowledge, and years of experience, I believe you should make a decent salary somewhere above a weed sprayer.

I'm not in GIS right now, I'm a patent data analyst. Not by choice... I was a contractor (misclassified) at EOG and they ended my contract. This was the first job offer I got in over a year so I took it. I make $36k which comes out to $400 more per month than when I worked at the county but it still sucks.

I've learned some SQL and Access but that doesn't help me find another job. I cannot go back to school and get another degree for IT, and IT doesn't pay well anyway-- This isn't 1997

Living in a city with poor QOL (like Houston) isn't worth it ever. I put on like 20lb living there and was always tired from spending so much time commuting.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-11-2014 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
I think you're missing my point.

The free market isn't what is responsible for low tech wages or low doctor salaries. If that were the case, salaries would go up to attract an adequate number of doctors.
Your onto something wink. Try thinking about why there is such a inequal wealth distribution system in this country? And the answer will become more clear.

Another thing to understand that Hawaii has always had class issues. How do you think the whole haole thing got startted? Because of the color of someones skin? No. Class.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
IT doesn't pay well anyway-- This isn't 1997.
I think you meant to say IT doesn't pay well in Hawaii. I know a lot of people in Minnesota who work in IT for $60K to $150k, the majority are between $80K and $100K.

You're absolutely right, pre-Y2K, IT was hot! That's when I jumped in. When the economy was in the dump a few years ago, there wasn't much churn in IT jobs. People were holding onto their jobs hoping they wouldn't be laid off. After the economy recovered, the churn picked up again and IT is very hot now as people are jumping from company to company and droves of people in IT are retiring. There are very small pockets of layoffs now, but those people find new jobs within several months.

It sounds like you're paying the price for living the dream, living in paradise. Although it seems to be putting a damper on your lifestyle.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I think you meant to say IT doesn't pay well in Hawaii. I know a lot of people in Minnesota who work in IT for $60K to $150k, the majority are between $80K and $100K.

You're absolutely right, pre-Y2K, IT was hot! That's when I jumped in. When the economy was in the dump a few years ago, there wasn't much churn in IT jobs. People were holding onto their jobs hoping they wouldn't be laid off. After the economy recovered, the churn picked up again and IT is very hot now as people are jumping from company to company and droves of people in IT are retiring. There are very small pockets of layoffs now, but those people find new jobs within several months.

It sounds like you're paying the price for living the dream, living in paradise. Although it seems to be putting a damper on your lifestyle.
Are you sure you're not thinking of software engineers? An IT guy making $100k is very unusual...

Low income doesn't really put a damper on my lifestyle... I paddle every weekend but my waveski cost $30 vs JungJohann $10000 surfski for example. I've started a project recording/filming stories, but with a $50 mic.

But it's a bummer knowing it's impossible to even afford your own place working as a professional here simply because your skills aren't valued or respected. The same goes for another place I like, Austin. Unless you're a programmer you're screwed (similar situation there as SF).

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-12-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Are you sure you're not thinking of software engineers? An IT guy making $100k is very unusual...
In a lot of places, software engineers/developers/architects/project manager managers work within IT - as I look around the room, I see several folks at the $100,000+ range......

Old 09-12-2014, 01:34 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:

Low income doesn't really put a damper on my lifestyle... I paddle every weekend but my waveski cost $30 vs JungJohann $10000 surfski for example. I've started a project recording/filming stories, but with a $50 mic.

But it's a bummer knowing it's impossible to even afford your own place working as a professional here simply because your skills aren't valued or respected. The same goes for another place I like, Austin. Unless you're a programmer you're screwed (similar situation there as SF).
Its amazing how much of american life is about privilege, take for example in the IT field. I know guys who can build computers from ground up, install Bios and OSs and maintain those computers but for some reason can't pass an certification exam. To me thats the difference between skill and privilege.

I also know guys who have Computer Degrees that can't do basic troubleshooti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii