Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
They aren't exactly predicting anything, they are telling people that it will flow wherever it decides to.
True - they specifically said on the news this morning that with all the cracks and crevices, it can change direction - and all they can do is give a general area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
They aren't exactly predicting anything, they are telling people that it will flow wherever it decides to.
They're probably modeling but not releasing predictions because it will give people a false sense of security or cause them to distrust predictions when reality doesn't follow exactly. Same as with hurricanes... Remember the Guy Hagi memes?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Jack Canfield in my opinion has a good perspective on success....Take 100% responsibility of your own life

7 Steps for Creating the Life YOU Want - America's Leading Authority On Creating Success And Personal Fulfillment - Jack Canfield

DailyOM - The Success Principles by Jack Canfield, Janet Switzer

Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Self-help New Age trite isn't a substitute for good pay and respect for working people and for technical skills. That stuff amounts to a warped semi-religious philosophy that intentionally ignores structural economic and cultural problems and values only the acolyte's individual success. It's inherently selfish and breeds willful ignorance of real problems. Very popular among realtors, pyramid schemers, and TV preachers, and other such intellectual midgets who view amassing wealth as "creating wealth" without any acknowledgement of impact on others. These are the people who whine about government not letting them "make extra money" with vacation rentals, or "run their business" paying workers $5/hr with no benefits, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsM35H9TFA

http://startupbros.com/ways-the-self...s-killing-you/

http://www.amazon.com/Sham-Self-Help.../dp/B007G5MHLW

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-04-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Self-help New Age trite isn't a substitute for good pay and respect for working people and for technical skills. That stuff amounts to a warped semi-religious philosophy that intentionally ignores structural economic and cultural problems and values only the acolyte's individual success. It's inherently selfish and breeds willful ignorance of real problems.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ltz116893.html

The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.

Lou Holtz

Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it. - Lou Holtz at BrainyQuote

The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.

Lou Holtz
Let's be clear that your self-help philosophy has made you unable to even grasp the concept of an economic and cultural issue that has been well documented in Hawaii. You can only think in terms of an individual person's faults, and only capable of blaming an individual. You are a part of the problem, Mr. Me First.

Good job proving my point!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Let's be clear that your self-help philosophy has made you unable to even grasp the concept of an economic and cultural issue that has been well documented in Hawaii. You can only think in terms of an individual person's faults, and only capable of blaming an individual. You are a part of the problem, Mr. Me First.
Me? Or Lou Holtz?

"You can get discouraged many times, but you are not a failure until you begin to blame somebody else and stop trying"

John Burroughs

Better?

Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Me? Or Lou Holtz?

"You can get discouraged many times, but you are not a failure until you begin to blame somebody else and stop trying"

John Burroughs

Better?
If this state needs a disaster analyst and isn't willing to pay a fair wage, then they are to blame. I'm certainly not, I didn't even apply and I don't plan to. In fact I messaged PDC and told them that it's hypocritical for RCUH to promote STEM and then pay such a low salary. I'm going to talk to one of the RCUH guys too and try to get them to reevaluate their pay scale. I get the feeling nobody ever tells them they're not paying enough, because people here tend to accept low salaries as the norm. It's a cultural politeness thing I believe.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,653 times
It's clear to me how to solve your problem being under paid. The problem is you want to living in Hawaii right away early in your working career. I recommend you change to a different specialization within IT, such as databases and database security. There are other specializations within IT that will also pay much more than GIS.

Some people follow what they love to do and work for peanuts. Some people are too lazy to educate themselves in a field that will provide them a good income and benefits. As those people age over time and approach retirement age, they suddenly discover they can't afford to retire, and they've saved little to nothing in their whole working career.

You may have to struggle for several years to educate yourself in a field that will allow you to improve your earnings. The struggling is worth the price you pay with your sweat and effort since it will pay you back the rest of your life. You will need to relocate to place(s) on the mainland that will offer you higher wages. Those places might have nasty climates, so you'll have to suffer for years with bad weather. Be careful in selecting where you want to work. You can think of each job as a stepping stone to a better job in the future. When you are earning a good income, live well below your income level, and save a lot of money. Over time, you will earn much more because your savings will make a lot of money for you over time. As your net worth grows, you will likely become a millionaire. The extra earned money is like working two good paying jobs, while only having to work one good paying job.

After you have a decade or more experience, you can search for companies on the mainland that will allow you to work remotely from Hawaii. If not, you can visit Hawaii periodically and perhaps retire early and move to Hawaii. You will then be one of those millionaires that were mentioned earlier in the string.

You need to look in the long term, which is what you are not doing. You want immediate satisfaction living in Hawaii, working for a good company, making a high income, enough to easily live there and save a lot of money. That is very unlikely to occur. Look at your net worth right now. Has your net worth grown a lot in the past decade? How much do you think your net worth will be ten or twenty years from today? The longer you put off making the change, the harder it will be to change. If you delay changing too long, you will be trapped with a low income lifestyle, always short on money, closer to homelessness, but not among the homeless.

Money isn't everything. But money is a lot. Money gives you the power to change your life. It takes long term life changes to make it possible. Think where you'd like to be in twenty years from now. You are young and have the time to make the changes. If you weren't an American citizen and lived in a communist county, your position in life would be decided for you. You would have no choice but to live a miserable life in poverty your whole life if you did not have the right connections. You do have the freedom to make your own choices in life in the US. In twenty years, will you be still struggling financially, or will you be in the top 5%? The choice is up to you!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
It's clear to me how to solve your problem being under paid. The problem is you want to living in Hawaii right away early in your working career. I recommend you change to a different specialization within IT, such as databases and database security. There are other specializations within IT that will also pay much more than GIS.

Some people follow what they love to do and work for peanuts. Some people are too lazy to educate themselves in a field that will provide them a good income and benefits. As those people age over time and approach retirement age, they suddenly discover they can't afford to retire, and they've saved little to nothing in their whole working career.

You may have to struggle for several years to educate yourself in a field that will allow you to improve your earnings. The struggling is worth the price you pay with your sweat and effort since it will pay you back the rest of your life. You will need to relocate to place(s) on the mainland that will offer you higher wages. Those places might have nasty climates, so you'll have to suffer for years with bad weather. Be careful in selecting where you want to work. You can think of each job as a stepping stone to a better job in the future. When you are earning a good income, live well below your income level, and save a lot of money. Over time, you will earn much more because your savings will make a lot of money for you over time. As your net worth grows, you will likely become a millionaire. The extra earned money is like working two good paying jobs, while only having to work one good paying job.

After you have a decade or more experience, you can search for companies on the mainland that will allow you to work remotely from Hawaii. If not, you can visit Hawaii periodically and perhaps retire early and move to Hawaii. You will then be one of those millionaires that were mentioned earlier in the string.

You need to look in the long term, which is what you are not doing. You want immediate satisfaction living in Hawaii, working for a good company, making a high income, enough to easily live there and save a lot of money. That is very unlikely to occur. Look at your net worth right now. Has your net worth grown a lot in the past decade? How much do you think your net worth will be ten or twenty years from today? The longer you put off making the change, the harder it will be to change. If you delay changing too long, you will be trapped with a low income lifestyle, always short on money, closer to homelessness, but not among the homeless.

Money isn't everything. But money is a lot. Money gives you the power to change your life. It takes long term life changes to make it possible. Think where you'd like to be in twenty years from now. You are young and have the time to make the changes. If you weren't an American citizen and lived in a communist county, your position in life would be decided for you. You would have no choice but to live a miserable life in poverty your whole life if you did not have the right connections. You do have the freedom to make your own choices in life in the US. In twenty years, will you be still struggling financially, or will you be in the top 5%? The choice is up to you!
I tried a high paying job in Houston and my contract was ended, leaving me with no job, no unemployment benefits, no employment prospects... I had to use the money I saved for taxes just to support myself, so now I owe the IRS. Had I stayed at my previous job at Maui County I'd be in the low 40s at this point, with no IRS debt, and a growing pension.

Often doing what is supposedly sensible ends up hurting you.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-04-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii