Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Arthroscopy did not cure my knee pain from a torn meniscus. Glucosamine did not cure it either, nor did it significantly reduce it, though my hubby says it helps his hands a lot (he plays guitar). I had a steroid injection which also did nothing.

I just researched the HA/Collagen mentioned above and someone warned not to take it if you have acid reflux, so there goes that.

I am trying L-Glycine right now for fibromyalgia and am hoping it might help the knee also. It remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
My thinking after all these years, management is what it is. No cure, with aging our joints go right along with it all. DGL saves me stomach, no acid reflux etc. Read up on it. I had an ulcer from a pharma anti inflammatory drug so know that weakness. I took L-Glycine for something and forget what but it didn't work for me. I have a whole bottle of it. I can't imagine not wearing a knee support.

Many love Great Lakes Collagen (green can) and I took it for a while but developed more histimine issues. UC-II can help and I took it for 6 months and off it now.

PRP sure is the most promising protocol and least invasive.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,849 times
Hyaluronic acid powder, taken internally will solve your problems.

My knees used to get sore after running and doing leg presses at the gym, so I could only do them once a week or so. Within days of taking HA internally, the soreness went away completely, and now I can either run or do leg presses (1,000 @ 400lbs typically) with no soreness.

It's been a year since I started and have not experienced any more soreness.

Try Amazon for either the NOW Foods capsules; or the Bulk Supplements powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
Anyone had hyaluronic acid knee injections? Results? How often?

Both of my knees have been scoped (Meniscus tears & Ososteoarthritis) in the last 3-4 years.
Currently exercising regularly but the Celebrex (NSAID) doesn’t seem to work anymore.
Seeking any other ideas to relieve pain and continue to being active.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Arthroscopy did not cure my knee pain from a torn meniscus. Glucosamine did not cure it either, nor did it significantly reduce it, though my hubby says it helps his hands a lot (he plays guitar). I had a steroid injection which also did nothing.

I just researched the HA/Collagen mentioned above and someone warned not to take it if you have acid reflux, so there goes that.

I am trying L-Glycine right now for fibromyalgia and am hoping it might help the knee also. It remains to be seen.
L-Glycine cured my fibromyalgia in three days but that's because I was deficient in L-Glycine. I'm just saying this so that you won't overdo L-Glycine and put your other amino acids out of balance. If you've been tested and found to be lacking in L-Glycine, that's okay. I only took it for a few nights and it wasn't for the fibromyalgia--it was because of Japanese study that I read about L-Glycine for insomnia. Funny (not) but it didn't affect the insomnia but it did cure the fibro--and fast. Then I did some more reading and learned that I must have been deficient because an antidepressant I had taken depletes L-Glycine.

So, just be careful and don't take it for very long, especially if you don't know if you really are missing it. Don't make yourself worse. I don't know anything about knee injections but it would be great if they did work for people. My doctor isn't sure if glucosamine works either--maybe so, maybe not.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 PM

On the HA powder, Bulk would be the best way to go..amazon carries all bulk supps. Sure worth a try, and everyone is different as we know and some more chronic issues.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM

45 posts, read 54,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Hyaluronic acid powder, taken internally will solve your problems.

My knees used to get sore after running and doing leg presses at the gym, so I could only do them once a week or so. Within days of taking HA internally, the soreness went away completely, and now I can either run or do leg presses (1,000 @ 400lbs typically) with no soreness.

It's been a year since I started and have not experienced any more soreness.

Try Amazon for either the NOW Foods capsules; or the Bulk Supplements powder.

Ordered today. Worth a try, Thanks!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:08 AM

With everything I TRY, gotta give things at least a 3 month trial. And if you get relief, then you know you need to take it on going.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Well nice to see this thread up.

I am scheduled to get my first injection of hyaluronic acid in my painful knee joint later this week.

As I detailed in the various squat threads in the exercise section, I have been dealing with a painful knee condition the past month. It's actually the same location that I had problems with last year.

To date I've had physical therapy along with PRP injection, and nothing seems to help so far. I still cannot bend my knee greater than 110 degrees or so, it is so stiff and painful to try and bend it more. The leg is shaky when I try to walk on it. Basically, in 5 weeks not much has changed from when the pain started flaring up.

I went back to my old ortho doctor and we will try the injections and go from there. He believes it is osteoarthritis. Based on what past doctors said my injury could be patellar tendonitis (totally unlikely especially since location of pain is different), IBS flare up, LCL damage, or OA. Anyways if these injections don't work, they'll evaluate with another MRI and go from there.

This is the worst chronic injury I've had in my life, and it is depressing not only because it has decreased my active lifestyle, but mostly because I cannot function normally at work. My work requires physical labor and with a bum knee it's hard to be as effective.

We'll see how it goes.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 PM

I have been thinking for a long time about PRP, but from what I hear it can take 1 to 3-4 sessions of injections. How many did you have and yes they are pricey. I've heard a lot about stem cells from the PRP/Stem Cell MD here but again pricey and don't know how many. My knee is getting stiffer and I'm headed to 78 and would not try HA injections again as I tried two types over the years...IF they work it's very temporary...that is why PRP seems to be more of the answer...

I do NOT want knee replacement so live with what I have daily.

Have you thought of replacements, I hear good reports and not so good. I had a bad hip replacement and I don't even want to think "replacements"....I keep bending my knee and wear supports and do my acupuncture every other day and topicals. My vigorous exercise days are way behind me.

I just started cod liver oil, 2 tsps daily and read a lot about arthritis help. I have a post about CLO and arthritis. The Stiffness is maddening.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-07-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 AM

66 posts, read 166,426 times
My knee was bone on bone and had many bone spurs. Inside my knee shifted 10 mm because of no cartlidge. Injections, 2 $1200 custom braces, no help whatsoever. Had knee replaced 6 months ago and is so much better. No pain anymore, but still strengthening the leg and working the knee to feel natural. Ive read about some unsuccesfull knee replacements, but not me, turned out well. Can climb stairs, jog a little , and ride 20 miles on bike. have not been able to do that for years. I'm 47 so pretty young, but tore my knee bad playing football when I was 19. Three surgeries before replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness