Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have side effects with statin drugs?
Yes – I have developed a side effect taking the drug 20 48.78%
No – I take the drug but no side effect 16 39.02%
Don’t know – I don’t know if my issues are side effects or not. 4 9.76%
Maybe – I didn’t know statin drugs have any side effects 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:59 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

While there have been a number of threads in this forum about Statin Drugs being used it would be interesting to know how many members have or have not acquired the negative side effects or symptom caused by their use. Understandably some people don’t have side effects yet others do. I’m interested in what side affects you may have because of using the statin drug. My doctor keeps pushing me to take prescribed pharmaceutical drugs with statin and I continue to resist. I don’t care for any pharmaceutical products unless it’s very necessary, when possible I’d rather continue taking natural organic products instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
I take simvastatin and have no side effects at all, though I would tolerate a good bit because of a terrible family history of cardiovascular disease.

I do take enzyme CoQ10 with it, because there is scientific evidence to support doing so.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:15 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
I've been taking them for about 3 years. No side effects.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
While there have been a number of threads in this forum about Statin Drugs being used it would be interesting to know how many members have or have not acquired the negative side effects or symptom caused by their use. Understandably some people don’t have side effects yet others do. I’m interested in what side affects you may have because of using the statin drug. My doctor keeps pushing me to take prescribed pharmaceutical drugs with statin and I continue to resist. I don’t care for any pharmaceutical products unless it’s very necessary, when possible I’d rather continue taking natural organic products instead.
I took my first drug for several years and the dose was raised a couple of times before I began to feel side effects. The side effects were the same as those for rheumatoid arthritis, very unpleasant. This was because I had disobeyed all diet rules. Finally I had to have stents put in during an emergency. At this time the dose was raised very high.

Finally I began to wise up changed my diet radically, and discovered Omega 3, which helped enormously. A new doctor listened to my story and looked at my records, and brought the statin down to the minimum dose immediately. I continue to use the statin at that dose and the Omega 3, and have no side effects and my counts are normal.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
As kevxu notes, statins are not to be used as a substitute for diet, weight control, and exercise.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I took Crestor and it gave me hives between my fingers and toes. After that, I took pravastatin and it caused memory issues. It was taking me a couple of weeks to read a book when I usually finish a book every day or two, and I couldn't remember how to multiply. After that, I was prescribed zetia, which is not a statin but is supposed to reduce cholesterol. It made me itch all over, so bad that I woke up with bloody scratches. Then I took red yeast rice, which my endocrinologist suggested. It caused the memory problems like pravastatin caused.

This was all while taking fish oil and coenzyme CoQ10, eating low carb, and exercising daily, and my cholesterol did not improve at all, even with a large weight loss.

I finally told my doctor I'd rather die younger of heart problems than live to a ripe old age unable to remember anything, so I wasn't going to take any more cholesterol drugs. Every time I see her, she says she hopes I don't end up with a heart attack since I won't take statins, even though my cholesterol really isn't that bad. It was considered normal before I was diagnosed with diabetes and then suddenly it became high (without the actual number changing) and I had to take statins or risk dying from it...yeah, sure.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:19 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I took statins from two different doctors and got severe muscle pain each time. I tried zetia but had no results.

Then I read an article about statins by Dr. Weil and he suggested another statin, red yeast rice--but to take it with co-enzyme Q. That worked great but it was pretty expensive because none of it was Rx.

I MIGHT have stayed on the original statins long ago IF the doctors had advised me to take cQ10 along with it. Statins deplete it so you usually need to take extra. I think if drs are going to put people on this stuff, they need to tell you to take CQ10. None ever did!

Now I take Rx Welchol and it does the job--no pain and no need to buy CoQ10 either.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
A friend had been on statins for decades and lives with 15+ yrs of neuropathy. I've known her for maybe 7 yrs or so and so often when she was in our company she was dizzy and nauseous and now she is in a class action lawsuit on statins.

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...t/statins.html

My doctor is more concerned about homocysteine and heart issues vs cholesterol. I have read about the cholesterol myth in too many places, books and articles from other doctors. I read the eye opener book The Heart Revolution which is available at booksellers.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Default statin drugs

Although the poll numbers aren’t very high it appears that more people have side effects (or possibly have issues that are) then those that don’t when taking statin drugs. I appreciate those who answered the poll as it helps me find my own answer for what I need or don’t need to do next time I’m seeing the doctor at his office.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I've been taking lovastatin for years and have had no side effects. Changing my diet did nothing at all for me at all. I evaded taking a medication for years, then finally gave in and started the lovastatin. No complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness