Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:59 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times

Advertisements

I know some houses can be haunted, because I once lived in one (a rental), but it's wasn't too bad, just a ghost making noise walking around at night. My sister said she saw the ghost, however. My father was long ago murdered by a burglar in his house, which was eventually sold. I hope the potential buyers were told that fact. Knowing my father, I think he would gladly cross over to be with his mother (who died when he was a child), and his deceased father and wife. I really don't believe he would have stayed around to haunt the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:38 PM

5,836 posts, read 4,171,909 times
I am shocked at the number of people who would skip out on a house even due to a violent murder. Who cares?! What are you worried about, ghosts? You can't be serious. You live in an age when man has advanced enough to walk on the moon, explain how all living organisms originated from inorganic matter and discover particles such as the Higgs-Boson, yet you believe in ghosts?

Sometimes humanity really does have to be dragged along.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Anytime you are buying an older home, there's a good chance someone died in it. Heck, they used to wake people in their houses. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:58 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post

A year or so after he died, a friend of my wife was telling her all about the house they found, and how they had seen it twice and were waiting on an inspection. It turns out it was my dad's old house. My wife was thinking she owed it to her friend to tell them that my dad had died in the house. To me it wasn't a huge deal, since it was natural and not a suicide or a murder. I do know a realtor is required to tell you if anyone has died in the house. That is assuming the realtor knows about it, and assuming you ask. They never asked.
They decided to pass on the house right before the inspection process . . .

If you were in my shoes, would you tell a friend that someone had died in the house they were interested in, even if it wasn't a family member but you still knew about it?
What a very strange thing for your wife to do. Sorry, I just think that's weird that she would feel obliged to tell someone that. Is your wife particularly superstitious?

Depending on the state, a Realtor is not obligated to disclose that someone has died in the house, no matter the cause of death. In Georgia, for example, we are not obligated to disclose a homicide or suicide occurred in a home, but I would not lie if someone asked me directly and I had knowledge of it. It's the buyer's responsibility to do their due diligence, if that is something they are concerned about.

No, I wouldn't stick my nose into someone else's business transaction and go running to tell them that someone died in a house they were buying.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I am shocked at the number of people who would skip out on a house even due to a violent murder. Who cares?! What are you worried about, ghosts? You can't be serious. You live in an age when man has advanced enough to walk on the moon, explain how all living organisms originated from inorganic matter and discover particles such as the Higgs-Boson, yet you believe in ghosts?

Homes where violent murders happened can draw gawkers, particularly if the crime was well-publicized like the Ramsey murder in Boulder, Colorado. I would not want to put my family through that. Has nothing to do with ghosts.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-08-2016 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 04:21 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
Default If someone died in a house you wanted to buy, is that a deal breaker?

Not a problem for me at all, as long as the house had been properly decontaminated (if necessary) so that no health hazards exist. I'd want proof or receipts showing that decontamination had been done, especially if the person died in a violent, bloody way or died of a terrible communicable disease.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 PM

5,836 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Homes where violent murders happened can draw gawkers, particularly if the crime was well-publicized like the Ramsey murder in Boulder, Colorado. I would not want to put my family through that. Has nothing to do with ghosts.
This is a legitimate concern. I almost mentioned in my post that cases like the Ramsey case present unique considerations. The vast majority of violent deaths don't draw that sort of attention, however. My post was directed at people who wouldn't buy such a house due to ghosts or juju or creepiness, though.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Hey, as long as I'm not the one dying in the house it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:05 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

No, at least not for me. It's the fact the people will ask stupid questions constantly, expect you to know all about it the famous murder, want to come in and see where it happened ...

I just want to live my life....not deal with the never ending ridiculousness. That's also why a lot of times spectacular "death" houses are taken down. A lot of people know that address of 10050 Cielo Dr. Sharon Tate murder house. Not only is it gone, the people that took it down bought several other properties took them down and redivided the properties again...so there no longer is a 10050 Cielo.

There was one where I grew up, where a man paid to have his wife killed. No one would buy it, the people who did made it a restaurant. Popular one...people traveled from all over to eat there, but, no one nearby ever went in.... When the old owners retired... The place was razed.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
It may be creepy to some people but I would not hesitate to buy a house that someone died in. Having gone through my own experience, I would probably find it comforting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
In the area where I used to live a beautiful home on several acres sat empty for several years because there was a double murder suicide there, IIRC a man stabbed his wife and wife's boyfriend then killed himself.

All the local people knew the history of the home so we thought an out-of-state buyer would purchase it because it was priced WAY below market value. But we found out that the real estate agent had to disclose the violent history of the house.

Regarding the above, if it were a murder or suicide that occurred in the house, unless one just will feel "creepy and uncomfortable" (which I can understand), what would be wrong with the house unless A) the buyer truly believes in "haunted houses"/ghosts, or B) they think something really disturbing like part of the body or the murder weapon was hidden in some secret place they might accidentally find someday.

(Or maybe they just fear they won't be able to resell it easily one day?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House