Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 04:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times

Advertisements

as one poster said,,

"indoor plumbing" nothing will repel a woman more than the word "outhouse"

I saw this with camps and cottages,,,

an outhouse doesn't really bother the guy/husband.....but the wife..... (the women who has not used them before)
wants nothing to do with a property that has an outhouse....unless money isn't an issue and they could put indoor plumbing in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:11 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Flat roof. Anywhere.
I agree in a way, but a lot of homes have a flat roof in Florida. In colder areas with snow I would never buy a home with a flat roof.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM

633 posts, read 582,492 times
there is a buyer for every house.

A house on the other side of my town has a pedophile as a next door neighbor, is in a flood zone, has high flood insurance due to prior claims and elevation, had an EPA registered oil spill on property, no garage and is on a busy street and close to train tracks.

Amazing a family with kids bought it cause price was right.

everything you are listing is nit-picking

Old 09-08-2016, 01:18 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
let me take a guess..

ive heard something like this on the news once

lets say I'm looking for a house and in most driveways I'm seeing prius's and political signs for Hillary or Bernie

do most prius drivers vote a particular way?? kind of a dumb conclusion,,,,, but,,if you go to the one whole foods in maine the driveway is full of prius's and 90% if they have a bumper-sticker,,,its for left leaning candidates..

maybe this pick up truck reference is the opposite,,,,,,
thinking their are guns across the back window and most are right leaning rednecks

it also might be a trailer park reference ..

and yes this is NOT my personal references,,,just what ive heard others offer,,
yep it is ignorant..

Utterly ridiculous, but you are probably correct on the posters reasoning. A huge percentage of the people where I live drive pickups and huge SUV's regardless of political affiliation or level of income.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
I don't know if I would have any deal breakers. If I liked the house, I think I could make it work or compromise. What I've learned here is that some people are really, really picky. I guess I'm not so much.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,945,828 times
No HOA
no train tracks or flight path
no split-level

Old 09-08-2016, 06:53 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,003,128 times
no partial brick home
Full brick......ok
no brick........ok

one story only

a garage or carport is a must

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,400,371 times
I feel like some amenities are so basic that, while lacking them would indeed be dealbreakers, I can reasonably expect it not to be an issue on a "regular sale" house. Of course , I expect functional electricity, plumbing, hvac, roofing, etc. just like everybody else. I also require a neighborhood where I feel reasonably safe. No rodent, termite, or roach infestations please.
As far as things that other people might plausibly put up with or even desire, my top item is a swimming pool. I don't enjoy swimming, and the maintenance on pools is a pain and an expense. I also could never see myself buying a house with two story rooms and giant windows. I don't like the scale and it seems like it would be a waste of energy to heat/cool.

Last edited by eastmemphisguy; 09-09-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
No HOA
no train tracks or flight path
no split-level
I almost bought a house with train tracks behind it. The good thing is that it made the back yard look bigger and you could not see the neighbors behind you. It was not a commuter line as far as I know and the tenant in the home said it only ran a few times a day. Turns out that the house did not appraise for the asking value so I had to keep looking. I hated waiting but I found a better home 2 months later and 2 months after that I closed on it.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,945,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I almost bought a house with train tracks behind it. The good thing is that it made the back yard look bigger and you could not see the neighbors behind you. It was not a commuter line as far as I know and the tenant in the home said it only ran a few times a day. Turns out that the house did not appraise for the asking value so I had to keep looking. I hated waiting but I found a better home 2 months later and 2 months after that I closed on it.
I have lived near tracks and it really does negatively impact your life. While I didn't consciously hear the train every time, I felt so much better once I moved. I was more rested, more relaxed, etc.

Incidentally, everyone who visited me was annoyed by the train and I rarely had anyone spend the night specifically b/c of the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House