Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

It is?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM

112 posts, read 257,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
It is?
There are a lot of neighborhoods that use to be predominately white now they are mostly black, and unfortunately they became crime filled!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM

Are you black?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM

112 posts, read 257,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Are you black?
Yes.....

Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Ok! Hopefully, we'll get better. And to everybody: ALL BLACKS AREN'T! IT'S ONLY THE SMALL PERCENTAGE OF US THAT GIVE US A BAD NAME!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Thank you for the popcorn emoticon, astrophip!

True - it seems like white people cannot write these types of posts without getting bashed for them and maybe that's just because of the long memory our country has for past racial divides that we're still conquering.

I wrote on a similar thread here last year about how I would never want to live in an all-Filipino community. At least 2 people labeled me a "self-hater" and told me just what kind of person I am. I am the furthest thing from being a self-hater (I am very proud of my heritage) but I couldn't believe how ugly that poster was - you could just imagine him/her sitting at the keyboard foaming at the mouth while telling me what a lousy Asian I am.

But hey - I want to live where I am comfortable living. I grew up in an all-white community and have lived almost my entire life in white communities - all good experiences. I lived in a predominantly Vietnamese community in San Diego for 2 yrs and never once was able to strike up a conversation with the neighbors - they wanted nothing to do with DH (white) & me. All white/all Asian/all whatever doesn't necessarily equate a perfect situation. Our more diverse neighborhood now is very good for us.

These types of questions probably wouldn't get flamed as much if they were phrased a little more diplomatically. The reference to higher-educated Hispanics being acceptable in an otherwise white community was off-putting but I guess that leaves no doubt as to what the OP is looking for and I supposed that is the purpose of a relocation forum.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftjoe12 View Post
You aren't allowed to ask for a mainly white neighborhood. Feel free to just ask about any other race, color, or ethnicity though. That is politically correct. The neighborhoods they don't tell you about are white.
here we go

Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,667 times
Wondering how much of an off-white is okay?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM

Mom2Feebs - I don't think it's bizarre but maybe that's because I am not white. I'm sure I would never be able to understand how a black, American Indian or white person feels about certain situations simply because I don't have the same cultural history or life experiences. But I guess that could be said about just anything in life.

My parents have been in this country for 40 yrs and raised us in an all white community where all our friends and the services around us were dominated by white people. While the color of that community has changed in that time, it's still predominantly white. It's neither good nor bad. It's just the way it is.

I've been in this country for all but 3 yrs of my life but still find a sense of camaraderie when I come across fellow Filipinos - whether at church, at our neighborhood parks, etc...it's a common thread - we share a language, the same types of recipes and cultural traditions. We can relay jokes in our language that are so not funny if you tell it to a non-Filipino. Lost in the translation.

My husband is of German descent but has absolutely no interest or ties to any German community. I've asked him about any German foods/traditions he wants to introduce to our children and to my disappointment, lol, he grew up with none!

I guess what I'm trying to say in a long-winded fashion is that I don't find it uncommon for people to want to live amongst people who share the same ethnic culture. Where I tend to get frustrated is when the same folks segregate themselves to the point of being stand-offish and not wanting to incorporate at least some of American life into their own.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy877 View Post
Wondering how much of an off-white is okay?
It depends. Are you talkin ecru, cream, white with a brown, pink or yellow undertone...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston