Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I'm curious to know about some of Plano and Allen's problems. I know they didn't have to lay off any teachers during the budget fiasco and I also know that they were in better financial standings than KISD

BTW Plano built their schools with 9/10 at one campus and 11/12 at another, not the same as Katy. It's cheaper to build 9/10 centers to elevate over crowding rather than building Taj Mahal with T-buildings. seems kind of short sighted imho when you know your area is still growing.

Plano uses six 9/10 campus to feed three 11/12 campus. Secondary Schools : Plano ISD
Yes I know about Plano isd and its setup. I said problems with overcrowding. The ninth grade centers in Katy still keep the freshman away from the other students tho. Unless your in some ap classes, all the academic courses and a cafeteria are built for the freshman. Katy high schools have overcrowding because so many people are moving to Katy making the newer schools reach capacity within the first couple years of opening. The junior high and elementary schools are crowded too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think the burden of proof is on those who want to spend the money. Nearly all of a school's revenue is from taxes. Every dollar spent on a stadium is a dollar not spent on education, whether that's a "majority" or a small fraction of the budget.
Exactly,
but as usual, they (politicians) will find a way to say
"Actually, it's not education spending, it's 'sports' spending" and people fall for it.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Athletics can set an important foundation for a lot of what you will be doing later in life.
This football stadium is going to benefit thousands of student athletes through the years.
True,
All you need to play sports is a field and a few balls.
You don't need a $68 million stadium to play sports in High School.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Wow. In hindsight, the Berry Center was a steal at $80 million. Not only did it include an amazing HS stadium, it also included a beautiful arena, auditorium, meeting facilities,etc. That would've easily cost over $100 million to build today.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I know it boils some of your blood when I say California, Illinois, Oregon (heck, really blue state schools in general) schools run circles around Texas schools when it comes to academics.

These kind of occurrences sure embolden my argument though, don't they.

As for "Where should they play?" Please. I went to an extremely wealthy high school in the Chicago area that was outstanding at football. We are perennially in the top 10. We had bleachers on both sides and they probably seated 4500 total.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 PM

The blue state schools that "run circles" around ours don't have anywhere near the diversity that Texas schools have. When broken down by racial and socioeconomic groups, each group performs similarly no matter where they receive their public education. Few states have the kind of diversity and immigration challenges that Texas has and do not bring up California, a state filled with idiots that barely remains solvent.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
As for "Where should they play?" Please. I went to an extremely wealthy high school in the Chicago area that was outstanding at football. We are perennially in the top 10. We had bleachers on both sides and they probably seated 4500 total.
That's not the way it works in Texas
in Texas the bigger the stadium, the better they play football

Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
The blue state schools that "run circles" around ours don't have anywhere near the diversity that Texas schools have. When broken down by racial and socioeconomic groups, each group performs similarly no matter where they receive their public education. Few states have the kind of diversity and immigration challenges that Texas has and do not bring up California, a state filled with idiots that barely remains solvent.
I'll bring up California all day because their educational system is so far supeirior to ours, we should be ashamed. There's a reason there's an achievement gap there. They don't dumb down their tests whatsoever. Compare any grade level state test and you'll see what I mean. Solvency is a whole other issue.

As for diversity, Chicago (let's be honest, they are Illinois) is just as diverse. So is New York. So are a lot of other blue states.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM

People aren't exactly flocking to the blue states like they are Texas are they?

Chicago schools? Please...

Old 07-20-2013, 02:34 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
People aren't exactly flocking to the blue states like they are Texas are they?

Chicago schools? Please...
No, but when they move here they always comment about how the schools here are easier. When I was in high school, kids that came frtom California were always ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston