Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 PM

63 posts, read 134,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Einstein I think most people are aware of this, the debate is what should capital improvements money/bonds/my taxes be spent on? Improving our older learning facilities, adding on to our existing schools(instead of T-buildings), building more learning centers or a brand new football stadium?

Great, more Texas propaganda bull sh*t.
Taylor High is being worked on to improve it. Also in addition to the stadium they are planning a new Ag center also. Also the new stadium will be used for more than just football. Katy can now host band compitions and things like that.

The money for the stadium is coming from a bond that was already voted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Hi. I am a "Cali transfer"...I came into Cinco Ranch High School as a Junior from a "Bay-area" high school. I can tell you, without a doubt, that I was SHOCKED at how much TOUGHER school was here. Finals and exemptions, etc etc... It was a huge learning curve. I went to a "good" high school in California.

The "California High School Exit Exam" is an absolute an utter joke. The TAKS test here were a lot harder. All the kids here seemed "hip and with it"...going from class to class subject to subject with no issues.

Mind you, I was top 10% in Cali. Transferred into Cinco Ranch and was top 49% I couldn't believe it... We had no opportunity to take "pre-ap" classes during our freshman or sophomore years because the money simply wasn't there. In my personal experience, my education here in Texas was much more solid than that which I would have ever received in California.
Hmm, I wonder how more speculation on this subject will argue with this testimonial. Thanks for sharing, Rip808.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,000 times
we have some of the dumbest kids in the nation; therefore, some of the dumbest kids in the industrialized world but .01% of Katy ISD grads will get to be in the NFL one day. huge stadiums have not enriched the lives significantly of any person on the planet. glory stories of the old days when you played HS football become sad sophomore year of college

Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 PM

298 posts, read 381,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Hi. I am a "Cali transfer"...I came into Cinco Ranch High School as a Junior from a "Bay-area" high school. I can tell you, without a doubt, that I was SHOCKED at how much TOUGHER school was here. Finals and exemptions, etc etc... It was a huge learning curve. I went to a "good" high school in California.

The "California High School Exit Exam" is an absolute an utter joke. The TAKS test here were a lot harder. All the kids here seemed "hip and with it"...going from class to class subject to subject with no issues.

Mind you, I was top 10% in Cali. Transferred into Cinco Ranch and was top 49% I couldn't believe it... We had no opportunity to take "pre-ap" classes during our freshman or sophomore years because the money simply wasn't there. In my personal experience, my education here in Texas was much more solid than that which I would have ever received in California.
I'm not so sure that's a fair comparison. Cinco can hang, imho. So could Clements and Memorial. They seem to get some excellent teachers. So, maybe that's the key. Stick to those schools if possible and your good. With that said, would you say that was a lateral move?

As for what you say about the state tests, I completely disagree. I purposely don't give Texas state tests when I tutor because the kids breeze through them. I tend to give WA, OR, CA and MN. Maybe STAAR will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
Overall, I'm sure there's truth to that, but last I checked universities and future employers don't give a darn about those stats. The Cali kids at the high schools I have taught at get into the better schools and get the better scholarships every single time. They are also more willing to go out of state for some reason while the kids from TX seem to stay in TX.

I've had classes in Austin where there would be 6+ Cali kids in my class and the separation is quite palatable. I would say Cali runs about a year and a half ahead of us here in TX.

I wonder if any Cali transfers could weigh in?
Sure I will. Cali schools sucked!! At least where my daughter went to. There was no art. No music. Unless you had an unpaid volunteer. Also our school library was about a third of the size of ones here. And that was in the process of being closed when we left. My daughter was pretty much forced to leave bc they didn't have time to deal with her. She's a difficult child and I was told point blank they didn't have time to spend on her due to half the class being nonenglish speaking. She's very bright but got bored and also thinks outside the box. The teachers couldn't figure out when she only counted to 4 it was bc she was 4( in Cal you didn't have to turn 5 till Dec she did in Oct). They never told her how high to count just to count so she did.
I fell in live with the schools out here coming from Cali. The days here were an hr longer and instead of 3 recesses they only had 1 here. In Cali it was 1 in the AM, 1 after lunch and 1 in the PM.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM

298 posts, read 381,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1girln3boya View Post
Sure I will. Cali schools sucked!! At least where my daughter went to. There was no art. No music. Unless you had an unpaid volunteer. Also our school library was about a third of the size of ones here. And that was in the process of being closed when we left. My daughter was pretty much forced to leave bc they didn't have time to deal with her. She's a difficult child and I was told point blank they didn't have time to spend on her due to half the class being nonenglish speaking. She's very bright but got bored and also thinks outside the box. The teachers couldn't figure out when she only counted to 4 it was bc she was 4( in Cal you didn't have to turn 5 till Dec she did in Oct). They never told her how high to count just to count so she did.
I fell in live with the schools out here coming from Cali. The days here were an hr longer and instead of 3 recesses they only had 1 here. In Cali it was 1 in the AM, 1 after lunch and 1 in the PM.
Sounds like a crappy school. I'm glad you have found our schools to be better!

ESL, wow. That's just a whole other subject on its own. Don't get me started! lol

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
Sounds like a crappy school. I'm glad you have found our schools to be better!

ESL, wow. That's just a whole other subject on its own. Don't get me started! lol
Yeah not having a separate class was rough. The teachers would have to either have another student translate or figure out another way for the student to understand. It was hard on those students. And the rest of the class. The class would have to pause till the non English speaking student understood. In 1st grade there was. New student that didn't understand any English so another little girl was basically teaching her since she was fluent in both languages.
There was no program for kids in GT. no advance classes for elementary.
Her Kinder teacher the 1st time she was in kinder was horrible. She gave my daughter a hard time bc she didn't color well and her handwriting was bad. Never made an attempt to figure out why and made me fell like a crap mother. She's now a Senior in HS and we just learned a couple of yrs ago the reason for her handwriting and coloring.
By the time we moved her it had improved but wasn't the greatest so there wasn't a reason for concern.
I remember 1 time they were told to color a picture of themselves. She is mixed, I'm white and her daddy is black. She was coloring her picture a dark color(she is more light complexion) and the teacher told her she couldn't use that color. She was trying to identify herself more with her daddy and that's why she wanted to use that color. Another mom told me about it as she was in the class at the time. It really upset her b. she could see the hurt on my daughter's face.
When we moved here and we got a tour of the school I was so impressed especially with the size of the library. I couldn't believe a library could be that big. And this was HISD. I was surprised when people said hiSD wasn't a good district. To me coming from Cali I thought it was wonderful.
The 1st day I was shocked to learn my daughter only had 1 recess and she went to Art class and in that same week she also went to music. No volunteer just coming into the classroom. Also surprised they went to school for an extra hr.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
we have some of the dumbest kids in the nation;
Care to quantify that?

Just looking at the CAR scores for Katy, they appear to be pretty good:

2013 School report card database - Houston Chronicle

Looking at Education Week's ranking by state, Texas is ranked 12th, which doesn't indicate that our state has the dumbest kids in the nation:

Education Week: Quality Counts 2012 - State Report Cards

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Care to quantify that?

Looking at Education Week's ranking by state, Texas is ranked 12th, which doesn't indicate that our state has the dumbest kids in the nation:

These idiots don't care if you put facts in front of them. They have an agenda, and they're going to keep on spewing their ideological propaganda.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Care to quantify that?

Great,
let's go ahead and build $68 million dollar stadiums in every school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston