Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
70+ posts on this thread and so far only one person understands school funding.

While all the "this money should go towards education instead of football" arguments are noble, they have no bearing on this issue. The portion of local school property taxes that are actually used to fund education are capped by the state. The portion of local school property taxes for things like capital improvements is not. Take it up with your legislator if you don't like the way schools are funded. The current school funding fiasco is due to the 2006 school refinance debacle enacted by the legislature...unanimously voted in favor by the Senate, and only 8 dissenting votes in the house.
Thank you...this makes sense. Finally, some light has been shed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
I see it all the time in the classroom. I saw it in Austin and now I'm seeing it here.

The California kids are much further ahead. It is what it is.
Statistics say you're wrong.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:

While all the "this money should go towards education instead of football" arguments are noble, they have no bearing on this issue. The portion of local school property taxes that are actually used to fund education are capped by the state. The portion of local school property taxes for things like capital improvements is not. Take it up with your legislator if you don't like the way schools are funded. The current school funding fiasco is due to the 2006 school refinance debacle enacted by the legislature...unanimously voted in favor by the Senate, and only 8 dissenting votes in the house.
Einstein I think most people are aware of this, the debate is what should capital improvements money/bonds/my taxes be spent on? Improving our older learning facilities, adding on to our existing schools(instead of T-buildings), building more learning centers or a brand new football stadium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Great, more Texas propaganda bull sh*t.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM

298 posts, read 381,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Overall, I'm sure there's truth to that, but last I checked universities and future employers don't give a darn about those stats. The Cali kids at the high schools I have taught at get into the better schools and get the better scholarships every single time. They are also more willing to go out of state for some reason while the kids from TX seem to stay in TX.

I've had classes in Austin where there would be 6+ Cali kids in my class and the separation is quite palatable. I would say Cali runs about a year and a half ahead of us here in TX.

I wonder if any Cali transfers could weigh in?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:

So there's a cap on funds that go into education but not on funds that go towards "capital improvements" (buildings, parking lots, football stadiums)

Who's the genius that came up with that c...?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Overall, I'm sure there's truth to that, but last I checked universities and future employers don't give a darn about those stats. The Cali kids at the high schools I have taught at get into the better schools and get the better scholarships every single time. They are also more willing to go out of state for some reason while the kids from TX seem to stay in TX.

I've had classes in Austin where there would be 6+ Cali kids in my class and the separation is quite palatable. I would say Cali runs about a year and a half ahead of us here in TX.

I have no experience with the Texas school systems, but it seems that many Texans are hell bent on standardize testing scores and demographics.

I'm banking on my kids getting a good education here in Texas, but also know that I'll have to really prep them at home.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I have no experience with the Texas school systems, but it seems that many Texans are hell bent on standardize testing scores and demographics.

I'm banking on my kids getting a good education here in Texas, but also know that I'll have to really prep them at home.
Oh, we are quite so. Now, I'm not going to go crazy like the crbcrbrgv poster does. He seems to not care for the Texas schools at all.

From my experience, it appears to me for those who care about education (and let's be honest, many parents see us as babysitters), California schools are better than Texas schools. This does not seem Texas schools are bad, however. In my opinion, the mindset is different. Perhaps this whole thread is a bit of proof as I can't imagine California towns clamoring for all this money being poured into football, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
That's exactly what I'm doing
my wife takes them to the library at least twice a week

Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's exactly what I'm doing
my wife takes them to the library at least twice a week
I make tons of extra money tutoring. The extra prep is very common.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,454,311 times
Quote:

Hi. I am a "Cali transfer"...I came into Cinco Ranch High School as a Junior from a "Bay-area" high school. I can tell you, without a doubt, that I was SHOCKED at how much TOUGHER school was here. Finals and exemptions, etc etc... It was a huge learning curve. I went to a "good" high school in California.

The "California High School Exit Exam" is an absolute an utter joke. The TAKS test here were a lot harder. All the kids here seemed "hip and with it"...going from class to class subject to subject with no issues.

Mind you, I was top 10% in Cali. Transferred into Cinco Ranch and was top 49% I couldn't believe it... We had no opportunity to take "pre-ap" classes during our freshman or sophomore years because the money simply wasn't there. In my personal experience, my education here in Texas was much more solid than that which I would have ever received in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston