Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,927,166 times

Advertisements

WOW Hope every one is doing OK. We just had a wind blow through here. Took down my porch curtains. No damage. Time to wash them anyway. Sure was scary. Even the dogs were scared. Winds were blowing North. Watch Out NID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Happy Easter to porchers and lurkers! And Happy Passover, too! I hope everybody gets to do their favorite Holiday things, in some approximation of spring weather...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,388,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
MSR, yes, stereotypes die hard. Just yesterday somebody posted, on the Montana forum (but not from MT, I think), that he (or she) doesn't like to visit Idaho because of the "racism"! Good grief. I think I have to comment on that one... If anyone else wants the link to that brilliant post, I can find it for you!

It's sad in an amusing kind of way (or amusing in a sad kind of way...) how different state forums get these stereotype questions, as if CDF is a forum of angels who will step in with the exact right advice, tailored to the OP. Dog forum: "What kind of dog is the right breed for me?" Montana forum: "I want to live in the mountains in a small village with great job opportunities." Wyoming forum: "I have always wanted to move to Wyoming. Where should I go?" California forum: "Is the weather always good?" And my favorite silly-*ss question forum: World forum: "Which country has the prettiest women?" Oh my. Endless entertainment!

Of course some people post because they're desperate and clueless--their work (or spouse ) is moving them to a place they don't know, and don't really want to know, and they just need a friendly word of advice. And I think the ID forum is really superb at lending such a helping hand. In a lot of other forums posters tend to get snippy...

Off the top of my head on a Friday morning. Hey, we've got white-tailed kites nesting in our big eucalyptus tree this spring! They're gorgeous. I'd never even heard of them before. They look like falcons with eye makeup...

Have a good weekend, everybody. Don't forget to "Spring Forward" on Saturday night!
LOL - had to come out of lurking for this one.
I lived in Hawaii for a long time, so I post a lot on that forum. Here are a few goofy questions from that forum: "Do you use American Money here in Hawaii?" "Have you ever been to the states?" "Can you commute back and forth from San Francisco for work?" And then of course all the requisite race questions. (Short answer - people in Hawaii ask your race to find out if you might be a relative! Not so they can be mean to you. And yes, there are racists everywhere. Some people don't have the capacity to think outside that paradigm. Sigh.)

But the beauty of CD forum is you can get some really great answers from real people in the midst of all the wacko questions and answers. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the city-data.com site with all the statistics, photos, and data on real estate and housing. (Which was the original impetus for this site with the forum growing out of the need for more data...)

I'll keep y'all posted if I wind up in Idaho. The decision is coming up soon. This forum has been such a great information source for these tough decisions! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 04-10-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM

So R_Cowgirl, have you made a decision yet?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
Well, boy howdy, have we ever got changes coming about. I have accepted a position at Indian Health Services in Shiprock, NM! I start a week from Monday. We are both (my wife and I) very
excited to begin the next chapter in our lives. It will be a night shift position and is a contract job that runs May 14th - September 30, 2012. After that the contract can be extended or I could be
offered a permanent position with the hospital. I hit it off well with the Manager there so I am planning on just working smart and working hard and becoming non-expendable to them and lasting.

I have missed the desert southwest region dearly. This one is so-called precinct 3, meaning it shares the same weather as nearby Durango, CO. Fairly cold winters with ample snow, though it rarely sticks around long in Farmington, NM, the town we will live in. Hot summers with a short monsoon season.

The Grand Canyon will be on my list to visit - it's about 225 miles to the west. $25.00 enters the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in through the gate. After that, it's all up ta you!

Wow-I'll be stopping in to talk to all of you on here - you know that. I thank you all for welcoming me on here and helping assimilate me to northern Idaho. I was not able to make a good enough living here but I loved it spiritually here...the Kingdom Hall here in Pinehurst was without a doubt flowing with Jehovah's holy spirit. Truly a wonderful spiritual experience.

R.I.P. Joanne Your work for the Kingdom of God and your fellowship will never be forgotten. Most importantly you have forever indelibly caused God to etch your name in his book of remembrance. That should be all of our all's goal as well. R.I.P. My Good Friend!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Hey Elko, congratulations on your new position! Sorry to see you leave NID, but you obviously have to go where the future awaits you, and since you love the high desert, it seems like a good deal. The Shiprock area is spectacular. Make sure you also visit Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly, and the pueblos around Taos! Moab, UT isn't too far away, either, and there you have Canyonlands and Arches. Fascinating country.

Make sure you come back to the porch and visit, and tell us how you're doing.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 AM

Clark Fork - I will for sure. This has been a great forum to participate in and I appreciate all of the help I've been given regarding Idaho. Now, back to packing up in preparation for heading to the desert southwest!

We will take things to the dump here in Kellogg today with the storage truck from CDA, then pack the truck with the things we're gonna store in CDA, then unpack them in CDA. Then I'm supposed to get drug-tested, given a MMR shot and give a blood sample for testing at another place in CDA in order to certify me hospital-work ready in New Mexico.

Driving right up to the south side of the Shiprock itself is gonna be cool, as well as going to Chelly and several other places down there. I guess we're gonna be about an hour south of Durango, CO, which has a cool train ride you can go on.

Off to yet another travel/work adventure. Everyone take care and I'll be back to update y'all from time to time. I will always remember N. Idaho and all of you all with fondness!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
I love that area too, Elkotronics. Good luck in your new home and have a safe trip!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Thanks mistyriverranch. I will! I'll be on here to post updates constantly.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,873 times
Best wishes on the new job and the move Elko!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho