Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times

Advertisements

The Happy Hermit closed? For good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The Happy Hermit closed? For good?
As of now, anyway. It has been for sale for a long time. The son and DIL (or daughter and SIL, I'm not positive which) were running the place for the owner. They moved closer to CDA so their kids had better access to school as I understand it. AFAIK it's still for sale. Looking for something to do when you get moved here CFF?

I'm going to miss the place, it was a regular stop on our ATV/motorcycle excursions. I guess we're going to have to run into Clark Fork more often now.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,446,156 times
Hey everybody, Just dropping in for a quick hello. Headed to the pet section to see if any has reported problems with a specific brand name of food.

Gotta tell you, I just cringed last week when I heard national commentators I admired speak about NID and all the old myths. Why oh why can't people get past those awful days and realize areas can and do change? What is their benefit to retain the old memories and not learn the new facts?

Um, Greg Carr donated $ to do what? DUH, can some in the east not read, or is it just easier to not be challenged in their old beliefs?

Gotta go for now. Hope you're all well and happy. I like to pop in on the porch ever since I was given such a warm invitation to do so a couple of years ago.

Y'all take care now

MSR

Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Hey MSR, good to see you again! We've missed you!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Hey MSR, good to see you again! We've missed you!
Thanks, CFF! I've missed all of you too, which is why I dropped by yesterday on my wait to post a question about a pet food that has recently been associated with several canine hospitalizations and deaths. Cleosmom suggested I post the info I know so more pet owners can be aware one brand had a problem and it's nationwide. I have a thread (or did if it's still there) about this in the Pet Dog section.

I get soooooooooooooo tired of the sterotypes from others I have to take LONG breaks away CD. In so many ways I see Idaho as a very accepting state to residents who want to be honest in their dealings with their neighbors and friends, earn enough to support their families, SUPPORT themselves and their families instead of expecting the state to provide everything to them, understand we're not all the same (in any state), but sometimes those differences are what make the entrees more appealing. I become so frustrated with all the questions that start out the same about the "racists" in NID, or "everyone knows southeast ID is 95% Mormon," when neither statement is true.

While I don't want to appear as an unwelcome or unkind native to most others (some jerks deserve it when I give them some good Idaho sense in a written message ), I really don't understand the mentality of those who are relocating and post with a beginning like I've listed above.

Maybe I'm just so old that I was taught perhaps I don't know everything in the world, or maybe it's because my Idaho mother taught me that those who ask QUESTIONS vs. rattle on about themselves, generally seem to have a lot more friends throughout their lives. Or maybe it's my training wondering why in the world do these people post here with their "knowledge" about the state then correct those of us who gently try to suggest they learn a bit more current information?

I find The Porch very comfortable for me. I can post those questions and know folks who have a variety of backgrounds, and are genuine people, will think about what I've written. Some may even attempt to share their thoughts as well. It doesn't matter whether others can or want to even attempt to answer the questions I pose when I'm frustrated with some newer posters. I know I'm welcome here to just tell y'all what I'm thinking and feeling and that means a great deal to me because I'll be welcome to drop back in when I can and see how all of you are.

I'm wondering if those newbie posters, with the same old mindset of what Idaho is (and isn't), end up moving again. Can stereotypical beliefs be changed? I don't know how to research that one as migration patterns don't link the attitudes/beliefs anywhere that I've seen. If anyone knows of where I might learn more, I'd appreciate any tips of what database or other might have that info.

Well, I've just rattled on here and I did hear what my mother taught me as a child. I'm far more interested in the REAL people here on The Porch than the constant influx of newbies wondering if Idaho is right for them, when they haven't researched much about the Gem State.

So how the heck are all of you? I do hope each of you are happy and healthy. Take care my friends of yourselves and each other. I hope to visit again soon and maybe read the wisdom of some who might want to share their thoughts about my questions.

Nice chatting and I really do miss all of you and wish I could drop in more often. Thanks my friends for always making me feel welcome here.

Later -

MSR

Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM

MSR, yes, stereotypes die hard. Just yesterday somebody posted, on the Montana forum (but not from MT, I think), that he (or she) doesn't like to visit Idaho because of the "racism"! Good grief. I think I have to comment on that one... If anyone else wants the link to that brilliant post, I can find it for you!

It's sad in an amusing kind of way (or amusing in a sad kind of way...) how different state forums get these stereotype questions, as if CDF is a forum of angels who will step in with the exact right advice, tailored to the OP. Dog forum: "What kind of dog is the right breed for me?" Montana forum: "I want to live in the mountains in a small village with great job opportunities." Wyoming forum: "I have always wanted to move to Wyoming. Where should I go?" California forum: "Is the weather always good?" And my favorite silly-*ss question forum: World forum: "Which country has the prettiest women?" Oh my. Endless entertainment!

Of course some people post because they're desperate and clueless--their work (or spouse ) is moving them to a place they don't know, and don't really want to know, and they just need a friendly word of advice. And I think the ID forum is really superb at lending such a helping hand. In a lot of other forums posters tend to get snippy...

Off the top of my head on a Friday morning. Hey, we've got white-tailed kites nesting in our big eucalyptus tree this spring! They're gorgeous. I'd never even heard of them before. They look like falcons with eye makeup...

Have a good weekend, everybody. Don't forget to "Spring Forward" on Saturday night!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Unhappy No Events thread -- sorry

I just thought I'd apologize for not posting any Idaho events threads for the past few months. I've been up against a work deadline, and I just haven't had the time. Maybe next month...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I just thought I'd apologize for not posting any Idaho events threads for the past few months. I've been up against a work deadline, and I just haven't had the time. Maybe next month...
CFF, I haven't posted either for different but very real reasons that didn't allow me the time.

However, I always know who has my back. Thanks CFF for your post in the Pet Section, along with the link. I think you helped emphasize we have an emergency situation on our hands from one manufacturer of dry dog food with K-9s dying. There have been a lot more hits since your post. I appreciate you trying to help.

I also appreciate your thoughts about the stereotypes. Your words once again were so true. I'll bypass the info from the post in MT. WOW! Glad to know others see it too, not just me.

Take care everyone. I need to see if others are finally following the K-9 food crisis and need more info. Thanks for being HERE for those of us who drop in.

MSR

Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM

993 posts, read 3,254,198 times
Default Hi again

Now I see a few old friends checking in I thought I should say hi again also.
I now have a 4x4 quad joined our local ATV club here in emmett . I am happy to report 1600 miles of fun and scenery the average joe just doesn't get to see.
I have some friends who know every square inch of trail between Jordan Valley and McCall so ever weekend we are exploring some new places and I am familiarizing myself with the many trails around the desert and mountains near to me.
My kids are doing well in the Emmett school district and we couldn't have chosen a better place to live.
I still belong to the Emmett Rotary and enjoy serving our community at various functions throughout the year. What else is a retired guy going to do
Today we are invited to a sheep local ranch to see how they harvest wool commercially . My wife has one sheep and a goat that are mostly family pets.
Tonight we take the kids to a community bonfire and chili feed.
Best thing I ever did was move our family to Emmett. No regrets and we are closing on 3 years already.

all is good here.

Mark aka Desertryder

Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 AM

291 posts, read 669,895 times
Glad to hear all is well DR. Hope you didn't have to trade in any of the two wheelers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho