U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 PM
 
36 posts, read 14,582 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In reality food is not cheaper with 30 million illegals here. Partly because they're eating so much of it - that drives up costs, but also because our rapidly exploding population is destroying available farmland.

In fact compare milk prices to what they were in the 70's. Or beef prices. A head of lettuce now with 30 million illegals is likely to be $1.50 a head - back in the 70's before they arrived it was likely $0.25 a head.
IS that in inflation adjusted dollars? Do you have some sort citation that shows the percentage of price increase that is attributable to illegal aliens consumption? Or are you just assuming?

 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
What part of net benefit don't you get?
The part where you claim illegal aliens are a net benefit when the report continuously says they are not, that they are a fiscal burden, but then this is the same as your claim that Plyler vs Doe grants Birthright Citizenship.
You have an issue in admitting you are incorrect on something. Did you notice how nobody came into back you up, tsk, tsk.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronRoad View Post
IS that in inflation adjusted dollars? Do you have some sort citation that shows the percentage of price increase that is attributable to illegal aliens consumption? Or are you just assuming?
I buy groceries and the prices I see are high.

Also I have seen milk as high as $4 a gallon and as low as $2.50 a gallon in recent years and there is nothing that makes me suspect the prices are related to illegal immigration level in any way. Another example - beef prices are quite high - higher than they've ever been which puts lie to the propaganda that illegals are lowering our food prices. They're still here and still pouring over the border and food prices are not falling.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 PM
 
36 posts, read 14,582 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I buy groceries and the prices I see are high.

Also I have seen milk as high as $4 a gallon and as low as $2.50 a gallon in recent years and there is nothing that makes me suspect the prices are related to illegal immigration level in any way. Another example - beef prices are quite high - higher than they've ever been which puts lie to the propaganda that illegals are lowering our food prices. They're still here and still pouring over the border and food prices are not falling.
A simple "no, I dont have any empirical evidence, I'm just making stuff up" would have sufficed.

So just curious, do you think illegals dont drink milk or something?

PS You are right, illegal immigrants consumption has nothing to do with the price of milk, or any other grocery product.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronRoad View Post
A simple "no, I dont have any empirical evidence, I'm just making stuff up" would have sufficed.

So just curious, do you think illegals dont drink milk or something?

PS You are right, illegal immigrants consumption has nothing to do with the price of milk, or any other grocery product.
Obviously their being here isn't lowering prices since food prices are rising. But I suspect the loss of good farmland to build housing for 30 million or more illegals could have a lot to do with rising food prices but also their consumption of our food.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 PM
 
36 posts, read 14,582 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obviously their being here isn't lowering prices since food prices are rising. But I suspect the loss of good farmland to build housing for 30 million or more illegals could have a lot to do with rising food prices but also their consumption of our food.
Who said immigrant labor made prices fall. They make it cheaper than it would otherwise be. Basically, you are just making all kinds of assumptions that a) dont address the point, and b) have no grounding in any sort of empirical evidence.
 
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 AM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obviously their being here isn't lowering prices since food prices are rising. But I suspect the loss of good farmland to build housing for 30 million or more illegals could have a lot to do with rising food prices but also their consumption of our food.
QF Lulz. Take 1 economics class in your life plz.
 
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 AM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
The part where you claim illegal aliens are a net benefit when the report continuously says they are not
ITT Liquid Reigns is mad. Please to be quoting the net drains on our economy. Do I need to quote the parts of your report claiming they are a benefit again?

Last edited by huddledmasses; 06-27-2011 at 12:47 AM..
 
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 AM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Studies that go against his theory are bunk yo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top