Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyFlyer View Post
Who are the Migration Policy Institute and who funded the Study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
"Meshing?" What ever for? I'm going to let you guys know something, it's not only illegal Latino immigrants who resist "meshing." A lot of Hispanic U.S.-citizens, including those of us born stateside, are looking to conserve our linguistic heritage and cultural roots. Many of us are even thinking about spending our retirement in our parent's countries of origin where our nest eggs have more bang for the buck and we are more socially comfortable. I was born in NYC, spent the last 20 years of my life overseas until I came back to the 'states for work after the recession took hold in 2005. Until then I didn't get the crazy old-school Latinos who went through all the trouble to uproot to the 'states legally, work until the had enough money and move the hell back to retire, but now I do. Think about it, why would you sink deep roots into a place where you're never going to be fully accepted as an equal because your English has a funny accent (among other reasons) and where you're never entirely comfortable (not to mention the high cost of living)? It's OK while you have an extended family that keeps you grounded and makes the good company that you can't trust to find in the street, but when your kids are married and the nest is empty, why would you want to keep putting up with obnoxious, uppity, alienating attitudes wherever you go and have nobody to really talk to who shares your interests, when you can move to a country in your old age that constantly reminds you who you really are? Not to knock the U.S.A., after all, we ARE American Citizens, but some of us have the option to go back that immigrants and migrants never did in the past, so why "mesh?"
Man, if your that unhappy bout living here, there more than 20 Spanish speaking countrys you should think bout moving to. Just sayin.

Lots of other people come like Koreans, etc. here an there small kids have NO accents after bout 10 years; what bugs me is why so many of us USA born Hipanics still sound like we just hopped the border. My English aint the best but its aint teh faut of the gringo, its how I was raised an bad choices I made.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Most of the things you mentioned are not cultural things. If you hate this country so much then I suggest you move to another country and with that I bid you a nice life in the Spanish speaking country of your choice.
Actually they are all cultural things. Most all of the items on the list are products of the system which is a product of the culture and history of the humans that inhabit the place. I'd suggest to study a little Anthropology.

Actually, I do not hate the country at all. Where did I say anywhere in my post that I hated the country?

That's right - nowhere. You are just trying to propogate misinformation on others. Are you a propaganda expert? I love the country. That is why I plan to stay.

I am simply making a free choice not to assimilate into the mainstream gringo culture and will continue to speak Spanish at will. Regarding my long laundry list of items that suck about the country - since when did having an understanding of the negative cultural aspects of a country mean that one hates it?

Your retort is illogical. Wow, I am not allowed to love a country which has a million cultural faults? Wow.

If you think the country's system is wonderful and you disagree with what I wrote, than that is your opinion.

Me, and millions of others think the problems I listed above are real and we will vote to change them.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cuba didn't work out and now the USA isn't working out so well for you.

Too many USA haters who LOVE only the big money here. That's what's going wrong with the USA.

American culture lives on but only in the Americans and the immigrants who become part of American culture. That's why even with some problems you really don't see the huge exodus of people stampeding out like you see in other countries.

So where will you all go next?
Who says it is not working out for me?
Nobody.
I have a great life in Miami.
I simply choose not to assimilate.
It's really that simple.
My laundry list of complaints in my previous post have nothing to do with me, as the US culture that produces such negativity was already in place when I arrived.
If I ever leave Miami for opportunities elsewhere, I'd probably go to Broward County or Palm Beach County or Puerto Rico or somewhere on the US border - like El Paso
That way I still would not have to assimilate.
God Bless Miami-Dade...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Who says it is not working out for me?
Nobody.
I have a great life in Miami.
I simply choose not to assimilate.
It's really that simple.
My laundry list of complaints in my previous post have nothing to do with me, as the US culture that produces such negativity was already in place when I arrived.
If I ever leave Miami for opportunities elsewhere, I'd probably go to Broward County or Palm Beach County or Puerto Rico or somewhere on the US border - like El Paso
That way I still would not have to assimilate.
God Bless Miami-Dade...
But you would not actually leave the good ole USA and move to a hispanic country where you're already assimilated with the culture? Hmmm......

Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Man, if your that unhappy bout living here, there more than 20 Spanish speaking countrys you should think bout moving to. Just sayin.

Lots of other people come like Koreans, etc. here an there small kids have NO accents after bout 10 years; what bugs me is why so many of us USA born Hipanics still sound like we just hopped the border. My English aint the best but its aint teh faut of the gringo, its how I was raised an bad choices I made.
I know many Koreans who have been here for decades and still speak very brken english. Likewise when I lived in San Francisco there were plenty of Chinese who had lived here for generations and may or may not be able to function in English.

I seem to recall that most of the west was part of Mexico. So please spare me your generalizations

Old 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But you would not actually leave the good ole USA and move to a hispanic country where you're already assimilated with the culture? Hmmm......
Reeks of using someone as long as it benefits you, spitting on them while giving nothing back, doesn't it?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyFlyer View Post
Well with attitudes like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
We do not want to assimilate.
Cubans in Miami have a choice.
The US culture has plenty of negative aspects that should not be assimilated.
What are you going to do about it chicagonut?
This is a free country.
I do not have to assimilate if I do not want to.
But you could try and *make* me assimilate.
I'd love to see you come down here and try that
It's not surprising.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I know many Koreans who have been here for decades and still speak very brken english. Likewise when I lived in San Francisco there were plenty of Chinese who had lived here for generations and may or may not be able to function in English.

I seem to recall that most of the west was part of Mexico. So please spare me your generalizations
Was. The key freaking word in that statement, the west WAS part of Mexico. Hell, North America used to be "Native American" territory too, but you don't seem to worried about that. The west is now part of the United States of America, a predominately English speaking nation.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Was. The key freaking word in that statement, the west WAS part of Mexico. Hell, North America used to be "Native American" territory too, but you don't seem to worried about that. The west is now part of the United States of America, a predominately English speaking nation.
Actually much of the West was only ruled by Mexico for no more than 25 years, it was really territory of Spain most of that time. It was the Mexicans who stole it from Spain but their form of government was far too inept and centralist to rule over territories that distant from Mexico City.

Check out Santa Ana's presidency and how much the Mexicans respected him and you wonder why we didn't just take the whole thing then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration