Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i call BS on that.

from business insider, mcdonald's had a job fair:
They had advertised for 50,000 jobs, and ended up hiring 62K.

But what's remarkable is how many people applied: According to CBS2Chicago, there were, wait for it... 1 MILLION APPLICANTS, which means that your odds of getting a job were just 6.2%.

Meanwhile, Harvard's acceptance rate is about 7%.

people WANT to work in this country but there clearly aren't enough jobs for everyone. it is beyond sad when 1 million americans show up for 50,000 advertised mcdonald's jobs.

something needs to be fixed, and guess what part of that fix includes?
Since you brought it up, where are the numbers on how many illegals work in McDonalds. This only shows that they are willing to work at McDonalds, not anywhere else.

I do agree that we need more jobs, but illegals aren't flooding the McDonalds market.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Since you brought it up, where are the numbers on how many illegals work in McDonalds. This only shows that they are willing to work at McDonalds, not anywhere else.

I do agree that we need more jobs, but illegals aren't flooding the McDonalds market.
Well then where are they working - if they are working?

Only about 25% of the 1 million or so jobs in agriculture are filled with illegals. That accounts for fewer than half a million of them. What are the other 29 1/2 million doing for a living?

Yes, I know a good number of them are the cheap babysitters, housekeepers, lawn boys for the wealthy who prefer their servants be as cheap as possible. Very likely many more illegals are doing the servant jobs for the laxy types than ever thought of picking carrots.

I think it's harder for the pro-illegals to justify why the American taxpayers must provide Medicaid and food stamps to subsidize the large servant class here.

Back when the pampered elites tried to terrorize people with that: "But who will make your beds?, Who will mow your lawn?, "Who will wash your dishes" and most Americans just looked puzzled because most Americans do all that themselves and don't understand the panic in not having servants surrounding them.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:09 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well then where are they working - if they are working?

Only about 25% of the 1 million or so jobs in agriculture are filled with illegals. That accounts for fewer than half a million of them. What are the other 29 1/2 million doing for a living?

Yes, I know a good number of them are the cheap babysitters, housekeepers, lawn boys for the wealthy who prefer their servants be as cheap as possible. Very likely many more illegals are doing the servant jobs for the laxy types than ever thought of picking carrots.

I think it's harder for the pro-illegals to justify why the American taxpayers must provide Medicaid and food stamps to subsidize the large servant class here.

Back when the pampered elites tried to terrorize people with that: "But who will make your beds?, Who will mow your lawn?, "Who will wash your dishes" and most Americans just looked puzzled because most Americans do all that themselves and don't understand the panic in not having servants surrounding them.
Well, we've already gone over agriculture, but also construction, restaurants, and various manual labor jobs.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
could probably balance the budget

Old 07-17-2011, 03:03 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Exactly. Americans do not want the jobs that illegals are currently employed doing.

Really. No. Of course I don't want the Chefs positions I went to college for. I just wanted to go several thousands of dollars into debt for nothing. .

You know. For FUN.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM

951 posts, read 745,628 times
So, you are not able to compete with illegal immigrants when applying for chef position jobs? I'd ask the school for my money back.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

No. It's not the Oregon Culinary Institutes fault illegals are stealing these jobs. In fact, they were PISSED when I informed them that one of their externship restaurants was hiring illegals rather then those who were getting an education for those same positions. I'm willing to bet they drop the Wild Pear from their listings of where to extern.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:10 PM

lol oregon culinary institute. If you are "professionally" trained and still can't compete with people that don't have any formal training I think your educators are to blame. I know people that went to this school that just can't get jobs. One is a long time acquaintance of mine that is running the kitchen at his parents hunting lodge atm. I don't think it's an illegal taking jobs problem.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM

It's not the school. The school is great. They can't get the jobs because of the influx of illegals willing for two dollars less an hour.

This conversation is ridiculous. The invasion of illegals is not ANY colleges fault.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:26 PM

So you refuse to work for $2 less an hour or can't show them that you are worth the extra money because of your training?

I honestly don't know any restaurants in my decently populated city that have illegal immigrant chefs except for possibly the mexican restaurants and their chef would be family. When they get raided it's never the owners of the restaurants here in our city that get deported though as they've been open for years. It's other employees that get deported so the owners are probably legal. I know this is only one city out of the whole country but I did work in the restaurant/liquor industry for many years before and during college so I know of pretty much every head chef in my city. I'd like to see some evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration