U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the US deport illegal immigrants and better prevent their arrival?
Yes. 109 83.21%
No. 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
I'm not sure what your argument is. Even if my Danish ancestors came here illegally, I would still be opposed to illegal immigration. Also, the exact origin of the term "WOP" is unknown. It is actually thought to have derived from the Neapolitan word "guappo" (often pronounced simply as "guap'" in the regional dialect), meaning a person who flaunts an overbearingly cocky and swaggering attitude.

This isn't the same country as it was in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. We don't have a vast, untapped expanse of land to the West, which needs to be settled and cultivated. We have created massive entitlement and welfare programs, which have consequently left us trillions of dollars in debt. Socialistic policies cannot support the continuous influx of poverty stricken immigrants, undocumented or otherwise.
True. The past doesn't justify anything today. If someone's ancestors had slaves, that doesn't mean their descendents can have slaves today.

If your grandpa broke traffic laws 50 years ago, that doesn't mean anyone at all gets a free pass on traffic laws today.

It's a stupid argument that because something took place in the past that it justifies anything at all today. That would mean whatever cave-men did is what we're supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True. The past doesn't justify anything today. If someone's ancestors had slaves, that doesn't mean their descendents can have slaves today.

If your grandpa broke traffic laws 50 years ago, that doesn't mean anyone at all gets a free pass on traffic laws today.

It's a stupid argument that because something took place in the past that it justifies anything at all today. That would mean whatever cave-men did is what we're supposed to do?
They are all just desperate arguments by the pro-illegals to justify the unjustifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sir Francis Drake claimed California for England long before Cortez ever knew about it.
Funny how these pro-illegals demonize the English language in this country and yet they will defend Spanish vehemently when all it is is just another "white" European language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM
 
492 posts, read 994,583 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They are all just desperate arguments by the pro-illegals to justify the unjustifiable.
Most economists will tell you that the undocumented are good for the U.S.
Greenspan says illegal immigration good for the U.S. | Immigration Chronicles | a Chron.com blog
Testimony of Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr., Inspector General of the Social SecurityAdministration before the U.S. Senate said:
"Studies show that undocumented immigrants provide a net gain of $7billion to the Social Security system each year."
Reports from several states such as Texas show that unauthorized immigrants contribute as much as $1.5 billion to state revenues.
Who wins, loses from mass immigration to California? The Orange County Register
Daniel T. Griswold, “As Immigrants Move In, Americans Move Up,” The CATO Institute, July 21, 2009
Stephen Moore, “More Immigrants, More Jobs,” The Wall Street Journal, July 17, 2005
Immigration Doesn't Hurt Native-Born Workers | Daniel Griswold | Cato Institute: Commentary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
I'm not sure what your argument is. Even if my Danish ancestors came here illegally, I would still be opposed to illegal immigration. Also, the exact origin of the term "WOP" is unknown. It is actually thought to have derived from the Neapolitan word "guappo" (often pronounced simply as "guap'" in the regional dialect), meaning a person who flaunts an overbearingly cocky and swaggering attitude...
So they were overbearingly cocky and had swaggering attitudes, besides being WithOut Papers? Sounds like you are getting the feel for being a regular here, you just have to put those same attributes on Hispanics/Mexicans/illegal aliens (the terms are interchangeable here) to be accepted. I had Dane ancestors too (the origin of my surname, humorously applied to my Mexican wife now), among all of the nationalities, but no Italians.

However, I did visit the slums of Naples back in the late 80's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 AM
 
335 posts, read 281,033 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This country was built on immigrants and those with such a zest for deportation might not have been able to make their argument as American citizens if it weren't for their illegal immigrant ancestors. We truly have bigger fish to fry than worrying about this topic.
You're painting with quite a wide brush. My ancestors, along with the ancestors of millions of other Americans, came to this country legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 AM
 
335 posts, read 281,033 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Make them legal. Keep them.
Why reward these lawbreakers? Should we reward American lawbreakers too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM
 
335 posts, read 281,033 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Where do we get the labor to pick the orange groves and the apple trees? Who will do the backbreaking labor of making sure the cranberries are harvested just right? Who will labor over the wine vineyards and roast the nuts and dig up the roots which have them?
Farmers can get all of the workers they need through our federal government's H-2A visa program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM
 
335 posts, read 281,033 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
do u want them to stop coming or what? bottom line, force is the one way possible since its all that illegals understand. look at the drug wars. treat them like they would be treated in their country.

the only way that anyone will stop immigrating here illegaly is if we start executing all violators and make it public. its like this: if someone broke into your home, u wouldnt allow them to walk back in. youd make sure they wouldnt do it again in any way possible.

stop being a softie. we r the greatest country in the world. ill be damned if im gonna let these illegals take it away from me

there r plenty of ppl who agree with me. if u break the law, u lose ur life. tough luck.
Is there something wrong with your keyboard? The last line of your post was totally unreadable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 AM
 
335 posts, read 281,033 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

But hey, at least now the bigots of the country can cry about the blacks and the Mexicans. Everyone wins.
Many of the bigots in this country are the blacks and the Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top