Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What person would not carry ID on them at all times in case of an accident? There would be no incident where a police officer would stop someone walking their dog in the part just to determine their status in this country anyway, so try again. Only under lawful contact (commission of or suspician of an unrelated crime) could a police officer do that.
Most women keep their ID in their purses. If they don't need their purse, if it's going to be a nuisance, women often leave their purses at home or locked in the trunk of their car.

Lawful contact and commission of a crime are separate things. For instance, at the local Supermercado, a robbery occurs. Juan is standing on a corner three blocks away. The police stop to ask Juan if he's seen a car matching the description of the getaway car. That's a lawful contact, even though Juan is not a suspect in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If a LEO asks me for ID here in Canada I will tell him to stuff it. I'm not required to identify myself to agents of the state unless they have "Probable cause" to suspect I have committed a crime. No BS probable cause will do either because I would sue and they know it. Without that freedom we really can't call ourselves a free people at all. We are fortunate that our supreme court takes this right seriously and almost all arrests arising out of illegal searches are thrown out.

My son was asked by a cop in Vancouver to empty out his backpack. He said to the cop, "AH, NO WAY, you have no cause to be harrassing me"!!!! When the cop started to insist my boy cut him off and asked him the key question. "Am I free to go"? The cop, lucky for him, must have suspected something was up because he said, "yes, but you are not being very helpful" LOL. My son was actually setting the cop up for a royal screwing because if the cop had said no you are not free to go then the law says that he has placed you under arrest. My son is a lawyer and a rabid civil rights advocate and that cop and his force would have been in very hot water and would have lost the false arrest case brought againsy them without a doubt.
Do you mean an LEO has no right to ask to see your driver's license, or if encountered during the course of an investigation, no right to ask you for proof of identity?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Legal non-citizens are required to carry their green cards. Legal citizens, whether they are immigrants or not, are not required to carry any documentation. And that's the rub, because if I'm at the park walking my dog, and a police officer asks me for proof that I'm legally in this country, as a lawful citizen I can laugh uproariously. And if I were illegal in this country, it would be best for me to similarly laugh uproariously, and behave as if I were a lawful citizen. Because what's the police officer going to do?
I've been stopped on my bike. I gave my name, address and even my DL # as it's not that hard to remember. Even though I got a ticket my info checked out. Really no big deal.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've been stopped on my bike. I gave my name, address and even my DL # as it's not that hard to remember. Even though I got a ticket my info checked out. Really no big deal.
And I've been sitting in my front yard drinking a beer after washing the car, and had a police officer stop and ask me for ID. And I laughed uproariously, and told him he could call my lawyer. Because I wasn't breaking any laws, and I refuse to be intimidated by the police. And it is a big deal.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Your scenario could happen but what is more likely is that that aspect of the law will be challenged as racial profiling and it will go to the SC for review. Remember that the justice dept is in a chokehold fight with the Maracopa Sheriff's Dept. right now over racial profiling charges.
You're probably right, because everytime an illegal alien is stopped, even if they know they ran a red light, were driving 20 mph over the speed limit, or driving drunk, and weaving all over the road, they'll still insist they were stopped as a result of racial profiling.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
You're probably right, because everytime an illegal alien is stopped, even if they know they ran a red light, were driving 20 mph over the speed limit, or driving drunk, and weaving all over the road, they'll still insist they were stopped as a result of racial profiling.
That's just not true. You post has no basis of truth and is just there to keep the masses inflamed against Hispanics. Hystrionic, bumper sticker, propaganda.
The justice dept in the matter of it's investigation of Maracopa Sheriff's Dept. has ruled out any cases that show any probable cause from their complaint. They are only concentrating on cases where there was no probable cause and hispanics were stopped and detained or as it's commonly called, racial profiling. Do you have access to arrest and detainment reports that the justice dept doesn't have?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's just not true. You post has no basis of truth and is just there to keep the masses inflamed against Hispanics. Hystrionic, bumper sticker, propaganda.
The justice dept in the matter of it's investigation of Maracopa Sheriff's Dept. has ruled out any cases that show any probable cause from their complaint. They are only concentrating on cases where there was no probable cause and hispanics were stopped and detained or as it's commonly called, racial profiling. Do you have access to arrest and detainment reports that the justice dept doesn't have?
First of all, I didn't mention Hispanics.

Second, no I don't have access to such reports. I'm telling you what I see in the future. It's happened before, and it will happen again.

It's people like you who accuse others of racial profiling, when in fact all they want is immigration laws enforced as regards ALL illegal aliens from ALL countries. Actually, there's a big bunch of illegal Irish immigrants, known as The Trvelers, I'd like to see deported. There are also many Asians, Indians, and Russians here who need to go. I want them all deported, and I don't want to wait until they're convicted of a felony before Obama considers them worthy of deportation.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:
Most women keep their ID in their purses. If they don't need their purse, if it's going to be a nuisance, women often leave their purses at home or locked in the trunk of their car.

Lawful contact and commission of a crime are separate things. For instance, at the local Supermercado, a robbery occurs. Juan is standing on a corner three blocks away. The police stop to ask Juan if he's seen a car matching the description of the getaway car. That's a lawful contact, even though Juan is not a suspect in any way.
I am a woman and even when out walking I carry my ID with me in my pocket for the reason I already specified but even if I didn't and was asked for my ID under lawful contact my ID could be verified. Not so with illegal aliens and that's the point. When I say lawful contact I am referring to someone being questioned because it was they who had committed a crime or was under suspicion of doing so.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
And I've been sitting in my front yard drinking a beer after washing the car, and had a police officer stop and ask me for ID. And I laughed uproariously, and told him he could call my lawyer. Because I wasn't breaking any laws, and I refuse to be intimidated by the police. And it is a big deal.
He must have had a valid reason for questioning you regardless of how you try to spin it.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
And so have these so-called "immigrant rights" groups and individuals been making that claim for some time now and we know why, don't we? There is no basis for it just their agenda as a group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration