Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:44 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times

Advertisements

I understand that immigration is good for all countries. In fact i'm sure if we look back into our our family history, most of us have immigrants in there somewhere. What i can't understand is why so much money and time and effort is put into allowing ILLEGAL immigrants to stay in the USA. My wife is American and we are moving back to the USA. I will go through all the scrutiny, paperwork and any hoops i have to jump through, to legally come to America. I would expect to do that and i feel that is right. I was in Florida last year for my stepsons graduation and was amazed to find that you now have to prepay for gas when filling your car because they have so many illegals now filling up and running before paying. Could somebody please explain why ILLEGAL does not mean a thing when dealing with the illegal immigrants and why is there even a discussion as to giving ILLEGALS driving licences, healthcare etc??????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM

170 posts, read 477,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Could somebody please explain why ILLEGAL does not mean a thing when dealing with the illegal immigrants and why is there even a discussion as to giving ILLEGALS driving licences, healthcare etc??????????????
Giving illegals driving licences is .....umm...not the best idea.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM

The people who want the ILLEGALS to have driving licences say it would be safer as we would know who they are. REALLY???????
There is NO requirement to get insurance even if you have a licence. I'm sure it will be a great comfort to know the name of the ILLEGAL after he has driven into your car or your family at 100 mph.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
I understand that immigration is good for all countries. In fact i'm sure if we look back into our our family history, most of us have immigrants in there somewhere. What i can't understand is why so much money and time and effort is put into allowing ILLEGAL immigrants to stay in the USA. My wife is American and we are moving back to the USA. I will go through all the scrutiny, paperwork and any hoops i have to jump through, to legally come to America. I would expect to do that and i feel that is right. I was in Florida last year for my stepsons graduation and was amazed to find that you now have to prepay for gas when filling your car because they have so many illegals now filling up and running before paying. Could somebody please explain why ILLEGAL does not mean a thing when dealing with the illegal immigrants and why is there even a discussion as to giving ILLEGALS driving licences, healthcare etc??????????????

Those are questions we all want answers to, but there isn't a reasonable one out there. Basically big business use illegals as slave labor, paying them minimal wages with no benefits and pay no workers comp, so it helps them to maximize profits and stuff their greedy little pockets. Although some of these profits go into the pockets of crooked politicians to push legislation to keep the illegals here. As far as the Americans who are fed up with this problem, the government doesn't seem to care much about us so far, although the ball is finally rolling and hopefully in the next couple years we'll see some action.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Us American are wondering that same thing.

Read through several of the posts on this Forum and you can 'connect the dots'.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:57 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Because American companies will do whatever they can -- legal or illegal -- to get cheap labor. They have to pay Americans a living wage and benefits (most employers pay for their workers' health insurance premiums, workers' comp., unemployment insurance, etc.).

And because Americans clamor for cheap products and don't scrutinize the real, lasting cost for (and effect of) this demand until we have an economic downturn or there's a presidential campaign going on.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Why is Hillary Clinton doing so well in the polls when she wants to give ILLEGALS driving licences..... oops forgot that she will do or say anything to try to get votes.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Why is Hillary Clinton doing so well in the polls when she wants to give ILLEGALS driving licences..... oops forgot that she will do or say anything to try to get votes.
McCain; the Republican frontrunner is just as bad----or, worse IMHO.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM

I AGREE teatime. Maybe this also stops some Americans getting these jobs as it is cheaper to employ ILLEGALS. The problem is that the ILLEGALS won't do these jobs either once they have a foot in the door. Then what? Also most goods in the USA comes from China. I had a lot of Americana items for my wifes shop here. We had to peel of the "made in china" stickers that was on ALL of the items.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
The people who want the ILLEGALS to have driving licences say it would be safer as we would know who they are. REALLY???????
This argument amazes me, too. A fifth grader could see through the "logic."

If an illegal applies for a license, and fails the test, are we to believe he will then stop driving? Yeah, right. Why should we believe that illegals will even come forward to apply in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration