Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Urban myth debunked here: http://colorado.mediamatters.org/items/200612010005 (broken link)

(How anyone can trust WorldNetDaily for news is beyond me! It's about as factual as Rush Limbaugh is!)

Dont like worldnet, Ok how about the INS.

"The Office of Immigration Statistics Annual Report presents information on apprehensions, investigations, detention and removal of foreign nationals during 2004. Data were obtained from workload and case tracking systems of the Department of Homeland Security.

DHS apprehended an estimated 1,241,089 foreign nationals. Ninety-two percent were natives of Mexico.
DHS removed 88,897 criminal aliens from the United States. The majority of criminal aliens (68,771 or 77 percent) were from Mexico.
There were 58,727 investigations initiated and 46,656 closed for immigration related activities including crime, compliance enforcement, work

site enforcement, identity and benefit fraud, alien smuggling, and counter terrorism.
Apprehensions along the southwest border increased 26 percent to 1,139,282 in 2004 from 905,065 in 2003

Criminal aliens—non-citizens who commit crimes—are a growing threat to public safety and national security, as well as a drain on our scarce criminal justice resources. In 1980, our federal and state prisons housed fewer than 9,000 criminal aliens. By the end of 1999, these same prisons housed over 68,000 criminal aliens.1 Today, criminal aliens account for over 29 percent of prisoners in Federal Bureau of Prisons facilities and a higher share of all federal prison inmates.2 These prisoners represent the fastest growing segment of the federal prison population. Over the past five years, an average of more than 72,000 aliens have been arrested annually on drug charges alone. New issue paper.
Continued illegal immigration aggravates the problem.

Despite the Border Patrol making over one million apprehensions last year, they estimate they miss two or more illegal bordercrossers for every apprehension. Most enter for short periods, but there is an estimated net increase of about 300,000 a year from illegal bordercrossers who stay. An additional net increase of 200,000 comes from people who enter legally as nonimmigrants and then violate their status. Among the alien federal prisoners, over half (55 percent) were illegally in the United States at the time of their conviction.
Administering justice to criminal aliens costs the taxpayer dearly.

Incarceration of criminal aliens cost an estimated $624 million to state prisons (1999) and $891 million to federal prisons (2002), according to the most recent available figure from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

The New York State Senate Committee on Cities estimates that the annual criminal justice costs for criminal aliens in New York is $270 million. The Committee has called for a national moratorium on immigration to help alleviate this problem.3 According to the Illinois Governor’s Office, Illinois spends over $40 million just on the incarceration of criminal aliens. The cost to Florida’s judicial and correction system for criminal aliens was $73 million in 1993. 4 In 1988, there were 5,500 illegal immigrants in California’s prisons. By fiscal year 1994- 1995, that is estimated to have increased to more than 18,000 illegal immigrants in state prisons—a three-fold increase. California taxpayers have spent over a billion dollars in the last five years to keep these convicted felons in prison, and the FY 9495 cost of incarcerating these offenders exceeded $375 million.5 The federal government has begun to reimburse heavily alien-impacted states for some of the costs of illegal alien prisoners in their state prisons. For 1996, Congress appropriated $300 million for this program.
Many criminal aliens are released into our society to commit crimes again.

Too often, criminal aliens are not identified in local and state jails, the INS is not informed of their presence, detention facilities are not available when they are released, they fail to report for deportation, or they return to the United States after deportation. In March 2000, Congress made public Department of Justice statistics showing that, over the previous five years, the INS had released over 35,000 criminal aliens instead of deporting them. Over 11,000 of those released went on to commit serious crimes, over 1,800 of which were violent ones (including 98 homicides, 142 sexual assaults, and 44 kidnappings). In 2001, thanks to a decision by the Supreme Court, the INS was forced to release into our society over 3,000 criminal aliens (who collectively had been convicted of 125 homicides, 387 sex offenses, and 772 assault charges).

Source - F.A.I.R Study - INS

Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
According to Edwin Rubenstien, president of ESR Research Economic Consultants, in Indianapolis in 1980, federal and state correctional facilities held fewer than 9,000 criminal aliens. But at the end of 2003, approximately 267,000 illegal aliens were incarcerated in all U.S. jails and prisons.

Yes, 40 million Latinos.

While the federal government doesn't track illegal alien murders, illegal alien rapes or illegal alien drunk driving deaths, it has studied illegal aliens incarcerated in U.S. prisons.

In April 2005, the Government Accountability Office released a report on a study of 55,322 illegal aliens incarcerated in federal, state, and local facilities during 2003. It found the following:

Read Below. BTW, don't trust stats from anywhere. You never know the variables or where from the information was surveyed at.

* The 55,322 illegal aliens studied represented a total of 459,614 arrests – some eight arrests per illegal alien;

Which ones did they study? You could gather any individuals who have been incarcerated more than several times. They didn't explain there variables. 40million latinos.

* Their arrests represented a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses – some 13 offenses per illegal alien;

Same as above.

* 36 percent had been arrested at least five times before."

36 percent of who, those same people, or people who continously seek to enter the United States, or maybe your right it's 36% of the whole population. But still, 40 million Latinos.

Sorry not even close to being an isolated incident.
Well, I enjoy your stats, and thank you very much. But, these states move from generalization to stereotypes, and help further my point that Americans have a serious problem with this. I didn't want to finish writing under every line, because the major problem with this article is the racist point of view of stereotyping and generalization. I do again appreciate your information, but I believed a pinpointed numerous error in Joseph's article and in the articles studies.

I apologize the quote above was too long so I combined it...and I'm not sure how to have someone's quote in a box when you write imbetween.[/quote]

Again we are not talking about ALL latinos, we are talking about ILLEGALS, why do you keep referencing all latinos in general?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post

"The Office of Immigration Statistics Annual Report presents information on apprehensions, investigations, detention and removal of foreign nationals during 2004. Data were obtained from workload and case tracking systems of the Department of Homeland Security. (CUT)

Source - F.A.I.R Study - INS

I don't think anyone's denying there's a problem... but I'd also like to compare the above statistics with our citizens, and the number of crimes they commit. The point is that we can't lump them all together, and assume every illegal immigrant is coming here with bad intentions. Many (most?) are simply here to start over, with the opportunities our country has to offer. We do need to control this situation better, but it's still no excuse for being prejudiced... not saying you are, though we all know it's a common attitude toward immigrants - legal or not.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think anyone's denying there's a problem... but I'd also like to compare the above statistics with our citizens, and the number of crimes they commit. The point is that we can't lump them all together, and assume every illegal immigrant is coming here with bad intentions. Many (most?) are simply here to start over, with the opportunities our country has to offer. We do need to control this situation better, but it's still no excuse for being prejudiced... not saying you are, though we all know it's a common attitude toward immigrants - legal or not.
When someone says, they should have the same rightswe do, and that crime is few and far between, it needs to be brought to light, that ALOT do come here for bad intentions as well AS Alot come for just financial.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'd like to see your source (a reliable one - not wikipedia or the like) for that number, because I'm quite sure it's wrong... there are a total of around 450,000 foreign born residents in NC (as of the year 2000), and only about 190,000 of those are from Latin American countries. This number, by the way, includes both illegal AND legal immigrants from every country. So I guess I just answered my own question, in that you're completely off on those numbers. Not every immigrant is Mexican, and not every immigrant is illegal either. Go do some real research, and come back when you have accurate numbers please.

Here's my source for the above - the Center for Immigration Studies: http://www.cis.org/articles/2003/back1203.html#table1
And when it comes to research, I dare you to challenge me... this is what I do for a living, LOL.
Here is a source from an NC newspaper reporter that researched his facts.

North Carolina: 395,000 illegal immigrants
More Illegal Immigration -- who profits, who pays
Part 1: Jobs lure illegal immigrants to state
Part 2: Schools bear burden of immigration
Part 3: Rural areas adapt to immigrants
Part 4: Health care costly for immigrants
Part 5: Businesses meet immigrants' needs

Four hundred thousand strong and they keep coming, drawn by the jobs that North Carolina employers eagerly offer illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigrants mow our lawns, paint our homes, watch our children and cook our food for bottom wages. Doing so, they provide consumers with affordable services that people in most other industrialized countries can only dream of.

But as the wave of immigration continues and the benefits grow, the costs of illegal immigration also mount and become more painful. The losers in the United States' immigration-system breakdown are numerous. They include:

* Taxpayers who foot the cost of educating children of illegal immigrants.

* Hospitals that serve thousands of uninsured newcomers. They absorb some of the cost but pass much of it along to their paying customers and taxpayers.

* Legal blue-collar workers, whose wages are depressed by competition from immigrants willing to work for less.

So far, however, the federal government has chosen to look the other way -- and many businesses are glad it has.

Businesses are the biggest beneficiary of illegal immigration and are the reason unauthorized foreigners are here in the first place.

Some employers say they have difficulty verifying immigrants' legal status, others that pressing labor demands force them to flout the law.

Few, however, express remorse.

"Let's say they got the National Guard to start pulling everybody over and sending every illegal person they find back home. Then where is your work force going to come from?" asked Paul, owner of a small landscaping and tree-cutting business in Raleigh.

Paul, who has employed two illegal immigrants from Mexico for more than seven years, agreed to speak provided he and his business were not fully identified.

"If we don't want them here, why doesn't the government send them back?" he said. "The government lets them cross the border, so why should we worry about it?"

In North Carolina, as in much of the South, any account of illegal immigration is essentially a story about Hispanics. Today, it's estimated that more than 600,000 Hispanics are in the state, roughly half of them without papers.

Of the estimated 395,000 illegal immigrants who made their home in North Carolina in 2004, 70 percent were Mexican, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, a research group in Washington. Taking into account thousands who arrived from Central America and other Latin American countries, the Hispanic portion of the state's illegal immigrant population is probably at least 80 percent. That would put the number of illegal Hispanic residents in the state about 316,000.

Last month, researchers at UNC-Chapel Hill published a study on the economic impact of North Carolina's Hispanic influx. Among their findings:

* Hispanics, legal and illegal, cost state taxpayers $817 million in 2004, with education and health care being the biggest expenses. Meanwhile, Hispanics generated $756 million in tax revenue. According to the report, that averages out to a cost to the state budget of $102 per Hispanic resident.

* More broadly, Hispanic residents contributed about $9 billion to the state economy through purchases and taxes. Their spending has led to creation of 89,600 jobs.

* Because many Latinos work for below-market wages, they also depress North Carolina private-sector payrolls by $1.9 billion annually, the researchers found. In many cases, those lower costs are passed on to consumers as lower prices.

The study was released by UNC's Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise and was underwritten by the N.C. Bankers Association."

Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Default Bottom Line!

Illegal immigration undermines sovereignty and legal rights of citizens!

Anyone who says "illegals do the work legal citizens don't" is a closet racist!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post

Criminal aliens—non-citizens who commit crimes—are a growing threat to public safety and national security, as well as a drain on our scarce criminal justice resources. In 1980, our federal and state prisons housed fewer than 9,000 criminal aliens. By the end of 1999, these same prisons housed over 68,000 criminal aliens.1 Today,
Quote:
criminal aliens
account for over 29 percent of prisoners in Federal Bureau of Prisons facilities and a higher share of all federal prison inmates.2 These prisoners represent the fastest growing segment of the federal prison population. Over the past five years, an average of more than 72,000 aliens have been arrested annually on drug charges alone. New issue paper.

[/b]
I don't know where you got this whole thing from, but everyone should learn how to interpret these stats. Criminal aliens include all immigrants here on work permits, permanant residents, tourists, anyone who isn't a citizen -- THIS DOES NOT MEAN ILLEGAL ALIENS!! Some of them probably are illegal aliens, but this number includes all aliens PERIOD! Legal or otherwise!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 AM

Illegal Aliens, Crime Pays – and So Do We
The Editors
Except for when an illegal alien does something horrific - such as when an illegal alien killed Denver Police Officer Don Young, or another murdered Los Angeles County Deputy David March, or another dragged his girlfriend to death behind his car - we rarely hear that these crimes are committed specifically by illegals. This is due to two factors: first, illegal aliens are often silent on family violence and afraid to report crime within their communities. And second, the mainstream media seem to go out of their way not to inform us, as they rarely make any distinction between crimes committed by US citizen perpetrators or those committed by illegal alien perpetrators, and this is an egregious violation of the press’s mandate.
While the murders of Officer Young and Deputy March and the recent horrific dragging death were national news, few know about illegal alien Cornelio Rivera Zamites who molested and then strangled to death defenseless four year old Esmerelda Nava, yet such things happen more frequently here in America, each day.
In perspective, crime is actually down, and since 1993, violent crime has been trending down. These results are due mostly to a corresponding “get tough” policy with its increased expenditures resulting in a large increase in the adult correctional population and a dramatic surge in the number of illegal aliens incarcerated over the same time. In any case, despite what the mainstream media reports, or doesn’t report as the case may be, there is also a strong correlation between illegal aliens and crime, as illustrated by the following map:
We suspect that if California were spilt in two, southern California would be in the top category as well.
While the vast majority of illegal aliens are decent people who work hard and try to make a better life for themselves and their families, it is also a fact that a disproportionately high percentage of illegal aliens are criminals and sexual predators. That is part of the dark side of illegal immigration. When we allow the “good” illegal aliens into America, we get the bad ones along with them. The question is, how much “bad” is acceptable and at what cost to us, literally and philosophically?
To get to the answer, this next section will concentrate on crimes committed by illegal aliens against people, even though we do not mean to minimize the tremendous devastation these crimes wreak upon Americans and society in general. Some of this information is very tough to read, so fasten your seatbelts.

An example of a rapidly growing crime with high illegal alien participation, causing many months if not years of misery for the recipient, is something FSM has reported on before, and it is identity theft. See the GOA’s report IDENTITY FRAUD – Prevalance and Links to Illegal Alien Activity and Identity Theft is a Serious Immigration Issue. Additionally, there are a plethora of other criminal activities with a high illegal alien participation, including crimes involving methamphetamine, cocaine, prostitution, home invasion, auto insurance fraud, life insurance fraud, food stamp fraud, mortgage fraud, auto theft, drug trafficking, and prostitution, and of coursecounterfeiting documents.

As detailed by Edwin Rubenstien in Criminal Alien Nation, criminal aliens of all stripes are a seriously growing threat in our homeland. In summary, he reports:
In 1980, our Federal and state facilities held fewer than 9,000 criminal aliens. But at the end of 2003, approximately 267,000 illegal aliens were incarcerated in U.S. correctional facilities, as follows:
· 46,000 in Federal prisons
· 74,000 in state prisons
· 147,000 in local jails
Approximately 27% of all prisoners in American federal custody are criminal illegal aliens. The majority (63%) are Mexican citizens, although this is mostly due to the fact that the vast majority of illegal aliens are from Mexico.
In fiscal 2004, the Federal govt. spent $1.4 billion to incarcerate criminal aliens. This total includes $280 million of reimbursements made to state and local governments under the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program [SCAAP], but SCAAP funds cover less than 25% of the full cost of incarcerating criminal aliens, leaving the balance of 75% to be picked up by the local jurisdiction. It is worth noting that all costs are ultimately funded by you, the taxpayer."

Is that worded better.

Last edited by Nea1; 12-21-2006 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-21-2006, 10:25 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Approximately 27% of all prisoners in American federal custody are criminal illegal aliens.
This one is actually worded worse since it's the same figure used in most of the information we've posted above. The 27% is criminal aliens, not criminal illegal aliens.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM

The above article says this

"Approximately 27% of all prisoners in American federal custody are criminal illegal aliens"

it is the original.

Feel free to pay for them with your tax dollars, I for one am sick of it, just as I am for legal criminals that I have to pay for but more so because they do not belong here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration