Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times

Advertisements

I am not annoyed by people who speak languages other than English.

I have taken care of patients who have been in the US for 30 years and they only speak Polish. They lived in Chicago and somehow they managed to work and raise families without speaking a word of English. I've also taken care of Koreans who only speak Hangul, and the list goes on.

These folks are usually the first generation. Their kids learn English as well as their parents native language. By the time the third generation comes around, many can only understand their grandparents' native language, but they don't speak it. Fourth generation, forget it. They only speak English.

Please do not assume that just because you hear someone speaking another language that they don't speak English. There are a lot of bilingual people around.

Once I was in an elevator where two men were speaking Spanish. This woman then proceeded to admonish them (in English) that they were in America, so they needed to speak in English. Wouldn't you know it. One of the fellows replied in PERFECT English that he was lucky enough and intelligent enough to speak three languages fluently and that it was none of her business what language he chose to speak since he wasn't talking to her OR about her. She sure wasn't expecting that, and I'm sure she felt like an idiot.

Learning another language requires study and practice. Back in the day, in the early 20th century, there was no radio, no TV and business did not hang signs that said "Se habla Espanol". Immigrants learned English quicker--they had no choice. They assimilated and integrated into mainstream American society a lot faster. Nowadays, Spanish speaking immigrants have Spanish programming and they can buy what they need at establishments that "speak Spanish". It's not just the government making it easier for them. Private businesses are doing it too. What are we to do? Tell businesses that they can only conduct transactions in English? Who is going to enforce that?

I think that English immersion programs work better than bilingual education, but that's just me. In the end, a lot of immigrants and all their kids will learn English. It's just a matter of time. How long will it take them? I don't know.

I think that due to the sheer number of Spanish immigrants a lot of people feel overwhelmed and threatened. I understand the frustration a lot of people feel, especially people who haven't travelled much or who have not lived abroad. I have lived and travelled abroad, so it doesn't bother me.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Get the Hell out of America", and "Learn English or go home" are two points which would be lost on anyone who didn't speak enough English to understand them.
On the OTHER hand, if a person DID understand these, it would indicate he KNEW English (and, presumably, therefore, would NOT have to 'get the Hell out', or 'go home')...so either way, it becomes a bit of a moot point.

Kind of like a sign reading "NO LOUD or OBNOXIOUS CONVERSATIONS, PLEASE", posted in a treatment center for the deaf.
We can always translate the signs.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
We can always translate the signs.
We COULD....but then we'd be 'playing into their hands'....because we'd be using bilingual signs....

It's NOT SIMPLE......not at all....

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

I have taken care of patients who have been in the US for 30 years and they only speak Polish. They lived in Chicago and somehow they managed to work and raise families without speaking a word of English. I've also taken care of Koreans who only speak Hangul, and the list goes on.

These folks are usually the first generation. Their kids learn English as well as their parents native language. By the time the third generation comes around, many can only understand their grandparents' native language, but they don't speak it. Fourth generation, forget it. They only speak English.

Please do not assume that just because you hear someone speaking another language that they don't speak English. There are a lot of bilingual people around.

Once I was in an elevator where two men were speaking Spanish. This woman then proceeded to admonish them (in English) that they were in America, so they needed to speak in English. Wouldn't you know it. One of the fellows replied in PERFECT English that he was lucky enough and intelligent enough to speak three languages fluently and that it was none of her business what language he chose to speak since he wasn't talking to her OR about her. She sure wasn't expecting that, and I'm sure she felt like an idiot.

Learning another language requires study and practice. Back in the day, in the early 20th century, there was no radio, no TV and business did not hang signs that said "Se habla Espanol". Immigrants learned English quicker--they had no choice. They assimilated and integrated into mainstream American society a lot faster. Nowadays, Spanish speaking immigrants have Spanish programming and they can buy what they need at establishments that "speak Spanish". It's not just the government making it easier for them. Private businesses are doing it too. What are we to do? Tell businesses that they can only conduct transactions in English? Who is going to enforce that?

I think that English immersion programs work better than bilingual education, but that's just me. In the end, a lot of immigrants and all their kids will learn English. It's just a matter of time. How long will it take them? I don't know.

I think that due to the sheer number of Spanish immigrants a lot of people feel overwhelmed and threatened. I understand the frustration a lot of people feel, especially people who haven't travelled much or who have not lived abroad. I have lived and travelled abroad, so it doesn't bother me.
It is very annoying. When people come here, whatever generation, they should learn the language. It is a clear disregard for the country they are going to.

Why leave your homeland if you want to show so much disrespect to the place your going to? Refusing to learn the language of the land is very disrespectful. America was not intended for people who come here, live in isolated communities, retain their own languages, and wave flags from their home countries. It was intended for people who come here, wave the American flag right off the ship, and are willing to embrace our cultures. If you aren't willing to do just that, then get the hell out of here.

Im sorry, but not learning english is a slam in the face. A sort of, "s-c-r-e-w you America!"

Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
It is very annoying. When people come here, whatever generation, they should learn the language. It is a clear disregard for the country they are going to.

Why leave your homeland if you want to show so much disrespect to the place your going to? Refusing to learn the language of the land is very disrespectful. America was not intended for people who come here, live in isolated communities, retain their own languages, and wave flags from their home countries. It was intended for people who come here, wave the American flag right off the ship, and are willing to embrace our cultures. If you aren't willing to do just that, then get the hell out of here.

Im sorry, but not learning english is a slam in the face. A sort of, "s-c-r-e-w you America!"
But they do come here an isolate themselves in ethnic communities and often fail to learn the language and publicly celebrate their immigrant nation's national holidays and wave the flag. A funny thing i have noticed and I am well traveled. This seems to be the case in "Anglo-founded" nations like the US and Australia. I don't know about New Zealand but i often wonder if we have not inherited some of the UK's traditional insularism and looking down out noses at people of other ethnicities or races and this even if we are not of Anglo background but consider ourselves, for lack of a better word, "white".

Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,323 times
It just bothers me when they know you can speak their language and they speak it with other people infornt you. You feel like everyone is talking about you or something. It is rude! Oh and of course if they are illeagal!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
It just bothers me when they know you can speak their language and they speak it with other people infornt you. You feel like everyone is talking about you or something. It is rude! Oh and of course if they are illeagal!
Many people in many countries feel this way but it is 99% untrue. It's a kind of "linguistic paranoia".

Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,852 times
Exactly. Look, I don't care what a person speaks. As long as they understand English and make an effort to express themselves in English if necessary. If they run into someone who knows Chinese, or Spanish, or whatever, you know what? GOOD FOR BOTH OF THEM. The businessman who extends himself beyond English is being entrepreneurial, expanding his customer base. GOOD FOR HIM. As long as the customer, if required by a mono-lingual American, can express himself in English (doesn't need to be fluent), fine. As long as the citizen on the street can understand instructions from an English-speaking cop or firefighter to get himself out of harms way, fine. It's an issue of necessity. Bare bones practicality that the few should adjust to the many, not the other way around.

Some folks here seem to imply that we should be English-only. I have huge problems with the xenophobia behind that myopic view. And I believe that view would destroy, no -- obliterate -- our competitiveness and intellectual progress as we continue as a nation to strive to lead the world.

English first is tolerant, promotes the principles that America is founded upon, and rewards effort. If you know more languages, you get a leg up, and you have the RIGHT to express yourself in any of them. Good for you. Even if that gives you an advantage over me. You've earned it. Just like my parents. English-only is, however, honestly, indefensible. Even out in public.

If I have a private conversation in a public place, and I choose to express myself in another language, and you overhear and are paranoid I'm talking about you, that's a you problem. I have no obligation to ensure everyone knows what I'm saying. It's no one's business. Not the government's. Not my neighbor's. Not yours. Unless I make it so. That's the conservative restrained government in me... Otherwise, in one circle I might have to talk with a bostonian accent. Or a southern. Or ebonics. No. I won't support that. And I am anti-illegal immigration. Viscerally so.

The you's mentioned in this post are rhetorical. They are not intended to address or single out any particular poster.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,772 times
I am much more disturbed by the lack of command of English in the general English speaking population.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Great post, ED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration