U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
 
79 posts, read 79,927 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Not if they're hoping for ratings! It's well known in the LA community that Argentines are not very well liked. The saying goes that Argentines are Italians who speak French and think they're British! Ha ha.

Actually, many of the newscasters are from Colombia, which is known for having the purest, most accent-free Spanish.

Argentians hate the British. They hate their neighbors the Chileans who helped the British during the Falkland war. I don't think Argentians want to be British maybe Italians.

 
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM
 
9,972 posts, read 14,065,796 times
Reputation: 9193
Sure Arizona Bear, we know Italians and Iranians are considered "Anglos" in Arizona. You're very consistent, I'll give you that.

Uh, back to the original topic...Isn't much of the political and economic structure of Miami controlled mostly by the wealthy Cuban elite--who are mostly legal immigrants? So why is this in the illegal immigration forum? Is it the fault of illegal immigrants in South Florida that the Spanish language has overtaken English as a job requirement. Who is doing the hiring here? And is the prevelance of Spanish in Miami anything new? Wasn't there an effort to make English the official language of Miami-Dade County back in the 80s?(Which the Cubans opposed)

Our goverment has let the Cubans in en masse because they were fleeing Castro and it went along with our anti-communist agenda. It's the same reason that the average American citizen can't visit Cuba legally on vacation(although the Cuban exiles can). The Cuban community in South Florida is the wealthiest and most politically powerful of any Hispanic ethnic group in the US..and they in turn look down upon the illegal Central American and Mexican immigrants.
 
Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,517,082 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's called biting the hand that fed you. Americans took in the poor starving frightened Cubans and gave them refuge and government refugee assistance money confiscated from the taxpayers and now the Cubans have turned against Americans, our language and are denying Americans jobs.
You forget that you live in America where money is king. Do you think capitalists care that there are entire sections of America that don't speak English? Absolutely not. Its the fat cats that run corporate America who reason with themselves: "Why wait for these people to learn English when we can just translate everything to Spanish and take their business now?" NOTHING IN AMERICA IS DONE WITHOUT A PROFIT MOTIVE.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Yac
 
5,877 posts, read 6,307,966 times
Before this topic completely turns into a generic fight about immigration, like most other threads do here, I'd like to point out it's about Miami and it's non-Spanish speakers.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
 
Old 09-11-2009, 06:09 AM
 
1,257 posts, read 3,032,049 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's called biting the hand that fed you. Americans took in the poor starving frightened Cubans and gave them refuge and government refugee assistance money confiscated from the taxpayers and now the Cubans have turned against Americans, our language and are denying Americans jobs.

---------

You're doing the baiting. Cuban-Americans in Miami are in their third generation now. All of them, except very recent arrivals, speak English. Household earnings of Cuban-Americans born in the US are superior to that of Anglos.

Cuban-Americans are mostly Republicans, extremely conservative and are against illegal immigration. Many died in Vietnam and in every risky CIA mission.

Again, you should address your complains to large American corporations. Burger King, for example.

Just another thing, what do you care what language people talk among themselves? As long as they speak English and can communicate with English speaking people, they can talk whatever language they see fit among themselves. They are right at preserving their language, had your ancestors acted the same way now you'd have better job prospects.
 
Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Reputation: 26702
In some areas of DFW now you are at a great disadvantage if you do not speak Spanish or if you do not look Latino.

A friend of mine went to a taqueria in a suburb of Dallas and was ignored by the Latino staff in favor of Latino customers. When she got fed up and asked when she would be served, she was told to go to Taco Bell or On The Border, that the taqueria was not a "Tex Mex" restaurant. Unbelievable!
 
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
 
79 posts, read 79,927 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In some areas of DFW now you are at a great disadvantage if you do not speak Spanish or if you do not look Latino.

A friend of mine went to a taqueria in a suburb of Dallas and was ignored by the Latino staff in favor of Latino customers. When she got fed up and asked when she would be served, she was told to go to Taco Bell or On The Border, that the taqueria was not a "Tex Mex" restaurant. Unbelievable!

It's hard for me to belive this. In Houston there is Taqueria Arrandas and I see many "Nordic Arryan Saxon Vikings" being server by Latino waiters.
 
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,501,898 times
Reputation: 4938
the only time I've seen non Spanish speakers have a hard time in Miami is when they go into certain parts of the city and enter establishments that are hispanic in nature and then wonder why a recent immigrant who is waiting tables for a couple of bucks an hour can't speak English!
A lot of corporations do ask that one be bilingual but the reason is that Miami has hundreds of multinational corporations that deal with clients in central & South America where command of Spanish is essential. This is the reason why Miami has flourished in international trade & banking with the Southern hemisphere. It is a bilingual city and if "anglos" can't deal with it there are a ton of other cities they can move to or they can go with the flow and learn Spanish. I promise it won't kill you.
Te lo prometo senores y senoras!
 
Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
the only time I've seen non Spanish speakers have a hard time in Miami is when they go into certain parts of the city and enter establishments that are hispanic in nature and then wonder why a recent immigrant who is waiting tables for a couple of bucks an hour can't speak English!
A lot of corporations do ask that one be bilingual but the reason is that Miami has hundreds of multinational corporations that deal with clients in central & South America where command of Spanish is essential. This is the reason why Miami has flourished in international trade & banking with the Southern hemisphere. It is a bilingual city and if "anglos" can't deal with it there are a ton of other cities they can move to or they can go with the flow and learn Spanish. I promise it won't kill you.
Te lo prometo senores y senoras!
All the more reason to make English the official language of the USA.
 
Old 09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,501,898 times
Reputation: 4938
^ why? Making English the official language won't make a recent immigrant learn English any quicker.You can't ban people from speaking other languages or hanging signs in a different language on establishments. As for employment well that is just the nature of business. If you are Xerox and trying to establish customers in South Korea wouldn't you hire someone who can speak both English & Korean?What good is it to hire somebody who only speaks English? Sorry but to many Americans feel like their pride is hurt whenever they start hearing other languages spoken. Get over your monolinguistic culture before the world passes you by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top