Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 06:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
It's hard for me to belive this. In Houston there is Taqueria Arrandas and I see many "Nordic Arryan Saxon Vikings" being server by Latino waiters.
So what if you have trouble believing it? It still happened.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
sorry malamute but stop distorting the issue. I never said to leave , I said if they don't like it they can leave. I'm really quite sick of the condescending attitudes of people like you. I was born in this country so I don't owe Americans anything and as for Miami like I stated before, unless you just came off a boat from Havana most Cubans do speak English. It's mostly immigrants from other Latin American countries that as first generationers have a hard time learning English.Young kids learn rather quickly but older folks have a much harder time.
Who in the hell said English isn't going to be used anymore? You remind me of the "anglos" from the late70s/early 80s who fled Miami because it was not like "America" anymore. Well that was 30 years ago & Miami is still a thriving city. It's not my fault that "Anglos" practice white flight the minute somebody speaks another language or somebody of a different skin color moves into your neighborhood. the "Anglos" abandoned Miami after Mariel so like I say either deal with it or don't bother those of us who stayed and made this a sustainable & prosperous city.
And I'm tired of the condescending attitude of immigrants that barely have arrived here and demand that we learn some foreign language to accomodate them.

American older folks don't have a much harder time learning all the various foreign languages? But why should people who have remained in their own country be the ones to have to learn a language? Certainly to be fair to all immigrants, you can't be holding up only those from Spanish speaking countries as some how special -- Americans would have to learn not only Spanish, but French, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Arabic, Farsi, Italian, and many many more languages if all immigrants must be accomodated in their own languages.

This is one reason we need to be come much more selective about the kinds of immigrants arriving. There is obviously no shortage of people who want to come to the USA, and a large number are very willing to come here prepared, learn our language and adapt to our culture. We should give preference to immigrants who already speak English, who have the intelligence and ability to learn English and important job skills.

There's also no shortage of Spanish speaking countries for those who have no ability to learn English.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And I'm tired of the condescending attitude of immigrants that barely have arrived here and demand that we learn some foreign language to accomodate them.

American older folks don't have a much harder time learning all the various foreign languages? But why should people who have remained in their own country be the ones to have to learn a language? Certainly to be fair to all immigrants, you can't be holding up only those from Spanish speaking countries as some how special -- Americans would have to learn not only Spanish, but French, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Arabic, Farsi, Italian, and many many more languages if all immigrants must be accomodated in their own languages.

This is one reason we need to be come much more selective about the kinds of immigrants arriving. There is obviously no shortage of people who want to come to the USA, and a large number are very willing to come here prepared, learn our language and adapt to our culture. We should give preference to immigrants who already speak English, who have the intelligence and ability to learn English and important job skills.

There's also no shortage of Spanish speaking countries for those who have no ability to learn English.
In one word: BINGO!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I think its a shame so many immigrants today don't want to assimilate. I'm fortunate my family has been open minded and while I know how to speak Chinese and speak it sometimes with my folks and older relatives, we are all Americans first and my primary identity is American, unhyphenated.

I have been to places that the liberal media and some minorities stereotype as being racist including VERY rural areas in Idaho, Montana, Utah, Virginia, North Carolina and Louisiana and have never had any issues and have only been treated with the greatest respect and acceptance. The thing is if you embrace the culture and show respect that will be returned. I'd say about 95% of the few racist incident I have encountered personally have been by African Americans and Middle Easterners, including a Pakistani who told me that America deserved 9-11 because of our supposed war crimes during the Gulf War and that as an Asian I should be loyal to China and not support America.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 AM

299 posts, read 635,368 times
I lived in Orlando for six years and worked with a young woman in the medical field. She and her parents immigrated to the U.S. when she was 2 years old, so she had been here for almost 30 years. She introduced me to her parents at their home one night and had to translate for her Mother, who did not speak English. Gloria was very proud of the fact that she didn't have to learn English to live here, according to her daughter. She didn't want to and believed that everything should be in Spanish and English. I thought the idea was repugnant to be quite honest. There's nothing wrong with retaining many aspects of your Cuban heritage but you've come to the U.S. for asylum. You can't have it both ways. My daughter who is now a kindergarten teacher in Kissimmee, has many children in her class that do not speak fluent English yet they were born here. Where is their parents pride in their new country? Don't they care or do they expect us to adopt to their ways? No way.

I'm very much pro legal immigration but I believe no one should be rewarded for being here illegally. Let them come to this country as my great-grandparents did, as legal immigrants. For my ancestors, it was a matter of pride to learn the English language. They and their fellow Italian immigrants spent evenings studying English and trying to master the language. I remember my grandmother telling me stories about how proud her parents were when they became English citizens and that they could speak what they considered to be the language of their new country. They weren't alone in their feelings, the majority of the immigrants felt this way back around the turn of the century. What has happened to our country? We can't afford illegal immigrants. We can't even keep our own citizens off the streets as homeless people. Why should we reward illegal behavior?

English needs to become our national language!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
American Airlines, which hubs Miami, has English and Spanish spoken safety videos on flights to and from Miami.

Other U.S. airlines that play safety videos on domestic flights (Delta, United, Continental) have supplementary Spanish subtitles in addition to spoken English and English subtitles (applying to all flights across the United States).

Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 AM

332 posts, read 644,401 times
You hear more English being spoken in the Philippines than you do in Miami. That is how bad the situation is in that city.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:29 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times
Thumbs up Not just Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Spanish Becoming Language of Miami - AOL News (broken link)

Honestly, this really scares me. This story could be repeated in other parts of the country if something aint done. This is already reality in one neighborhood of the city i live in (Alexandria, VA.)

I wish I had a nickel for every job description that said that the requirements included being spanish speaking or fluent in spanish, here in Texas.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:44 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I wish I had a nickel for every job description that said that the requirements included being spanish speaking or fluent in spanish, here in Texas.
It is like that all over the southwest now and including Florida.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is like that all over the southwest now and including Florida.
Not really true here in Arizona; especially in the northern half of my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration