Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Excellent post, and I would rep you if I could.

The fact is that the US has caused many hurts to the ancestors to its citizens. Hopefully, we are addressing those hurts and are beginning to heal from them. But to compare the experiences of illegal immigrants to the American black experience is just....ridiculous. They may as well try to compare a raid on a Hormel plant to the Wounded Knee massacre.
Yet its perfectly acceptable to compare a middle class White American's experience to the American Black experience? The American Black experience during the 50s no less?

Quote:
Let me guess:

Today's pro illegal immigrant protesters are the children/grandchildren of Sheriff Bull Connor and the old White Citizen's League of the Jim Crow days?

And; this ol' 'White boy' (myself) in a way feels like what a 1950's Negro went through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Yet its perfectly acceptable to compare a middle class White American's experience to the American Black experience? The American Black experience during the 50s no less?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
Quote:
Did I do that? No, I did not.

As to your second quote.....I didn't write that, did you?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Perhaps you need to show us pictures of Mexicans in chains, starving to death on ships or being beaten by a White American Massa. Only then will your ludicrous, delusional comparisons gain any form of credibility.
Slavery was over a century ago.

Discrimination, segregation, lychings, gang problems, drug problems, education problems, incarceration problems are not exclusively Black problems.

Blacks have traditionally been the lowest on the totem pole in this country, been the most hated and mistreated.

But Next in line is the Mexican-Americans/Mexicans as well as the Native Americans, but theres not too many of those left anymore, huh?

For so many similar problems in RECENT history, as in the last 60 years or so, Latino issues are sure being dismissed pretty easily. Some people even refuse to acknowledge the problems have existed/exist!

Theres a huge double standard. If Latinos claim any problems, they are "using the race card", "whining", "trying to get special attention".

If a Black person claims any problems, watch all the fake sympathy pour out.

I like how when people ask, "well, what problems have Mexican-Americans been through in this country?"
No matter what one says, the response will always be either a.) that was a long time ago! You are dwelling on a past you werent alive for, haven't experience.
or b.) thats in your culture, and your own fault.

I would love to see the same people give the same answer a.) to a Black person regarding slavery.
Or give the same answer b.) to a Black person regarding Black problems in the United States.

They'd be insane to downplay that kind of history. But its very easy to downplay any problems Latinos have encountered in this country.

That kind of attitude is why people see a Mexican getting killed by a white mob as an act of frustration and anger of the common American man, frustration from the misery of living under illegal immigrant control in this country, instead of what it was: a lynching.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How so?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Did I do that? No, I did not.

As to your second quote.....I didn't write that, did you?
Heck no I didnt write that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Let me guess:

Today's pro illegal immigrant protesters are the children/grandchildren of Sheriff Bull Connor and the old White Citizen's League of the Jim Crow days?

And; this ol' 'White boy' (myself) in a way feels like what a 1950's Negro went through.

I would never compare my experience to what a 1950s "Negro(??)" went through.

Would I compare my grandmother's experience to a 1950s African-American? Yeah, I probably would.

However, I would compare MY experience growing up, with the Black kids' experience growing up in the neighborhood down the way in the same time period(early 90s).

I don't think even they could compare their experience to that of their grandparents as Blacks in the 1950s, just like I couldnt compare my experience to Mexicans in the 1950s.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Someone demanding accountability for statements you make = being attacked? What gives?
I provided my accountability in my first post. You guys went ahead and flipped everything I said.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
Quote:
Quote:
Heck no I didnt write that.

I would never compare my experience to what a 1950s "Negro(??)" went through.

My grandmother's experience? Yeah, I probably would.

However, I would compare MY experience growing up, with the Black kids' experience in the neighborhood down the way.

I don't think even they could compare their experience to that of their grandparents as Blacks in the 1950s, just like I couldnt compare my experience to Mexicans in the 1950s.
Look, I think its safe to say that being a minority in the US has not been an easy thing. It is also fair to say that some minorities have had it tougher then others, and of course different parts of the country were worse then others.

However, the experiences of an illegal immigrant of 2008 ain't that bad. Have they faced discrimination? Possibly. I would guess though that any negativity they encountered was more based from classism vs racism and certainly cultural differences play a part too.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,678 times
Quote:
Look, I think its safe to say that being a minority in the US has not been an easy thing. It is also fair to say that some minorities have had it tougher then others, and of course different parts of the country were worse then others.

However, the experiences of an illegal immigrant of 2008 ain't that bad. Have they faced discrimination? Possibly. I would guess though that any negativity they encountered was more based from classism vs racism and certainly cultural differences play a part too.
Most Blacks who live right now have never been slaves. But like Mexicans and other minorities, have been the targets of racism.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I think this discussion went a long way off topic.

I'm not comparing illegal immigrants to African slaves over a hundred years ago.

I think it went to all of this because I referred to this killing as a lynching. Some of the African-American members on the board took offense to that.
I dont think they are justified to take offense to it.

By definition, this was a lynching.
Its not common..yet.
This article is important, because I think some of those who are feeling hate towards "illegal immigrants" need to reflect on this, and make sure we as a country don't head in that direction.

As the economy struggles, people are going to get frustrated. We need to prevent people seeing illegal immigrants or immigrants or Latinos suspected of beign immigrants, or Latinos being associated with immigration, as a scapegoat for the countries problems.
If things get worse as far as the economy, we don't need to see a lot more immigrants(illegal or otherwise) being killed by angry mobs. I doubt those people knew if this man was actually illegal or not. It was like attack now, ask questions later. That kind of mentality is scary for those of us who "look Mexican".

This incident was isolated, but the mentality isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration