Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times

Advertisements

We have other streets which are not named after historical figures, such as Maple, Live Oak, etc - this has been offered to the 'task force'. But the group refuses to compromise on getting another major street or even the Farmer's Market (which already has a Chavez square and monument) named for Chavez. They only want Ross -- why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,757,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
We have other streets which are not named after historical figures, such as Maple, Live Oak, etc - this has been offered to the 'task force'. But the group refuses to compromise on getting another major street or even the Farmer's Market (which already has a Chavez square and monument) named for Chavez. They only want Ross -- why is that?
I dont know, do you?
Being from Dallas, Im sure they have their reasons.
I know youre not from Dallas, so tell me what you know.

In fact, being that youre NOT from Texas, whats YOUR problem with them naming this street after Chavez?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,362,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont know, do you?

In fact, being that youre NOT from Texas, whats YOUR problem with them naming this street after Chavez?

This is going to get good.

*grabs popcorn*

Old 08-15-2008, 04:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,756,275 times
Quote:
I dont know, do you?

Well, I AM from Dallas although I haven't lived there for five years. I DO have a big problem with it as do the vast majority of Texans and Dallasites I know.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times
I think a lot of people here have a problem with a street being renamed because it was the site of the march of the illegals. Where did they march in your city?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well, I AM from Dallas although I haven't lived there for five years. I DO have a big problem with it as do the vast majority of Texans and Dallasites I know.
But why?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think a lot of people here have a problem with a street being renamed because it was the site of the march of the illegals. Where did they march in your city?
But Cesar Chavez wasn't an illegal. Its not like their naming it Amnesty Way, or Reconquista Boulevard.
Why does it bother you if a street is named after an American Hispanic, pushed for by a American Hispanic group?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
Quote:
But Cesar Chavez wasn't an illegal. Its not like their naming it Amnesty Way, or Reconquista Boulevard.
Why does it bother you if a street is named after an American Hispanic, pushed for by a American Hispanic group?
Why does it bother you, that it bothers others?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,756,275 times
Quote:
Its not like people are idolizing him in some kind of pagan ritual. Its just honoring our historical figures, and by "our" I mean "ours" as Americans.
Its done all the time. With whole cities.

Washington D.C.
JFK Airport
Maryland
Washington state
Martin Luther King Blvds
Martin Luther King schools
Kennedy schools
Garfield schools
etc etc.

I dont really care about Texas or anything in it, but I'm just a little surprised on how offended people are over naming a street after a Hispanic.
What's a Ross anyways? Only one person on here legitimately appeared to care about the issue because they knew who the street was originally named after.

Most of the people seem to be against it out of spite towards illegals and Hispanic politicians as well as Hispanics promoting someone they consider a hero.

Street names get changed all the time, but this is only a big issue because its a major street not going through a bad neighborhood, and its proposed to be named after a Hispanic by Hispanics.
Brothers William and Andrew Ross were prominent Dallas residents around the time of the Civil War and owned much of the land that would become Ross Avenue. The city can rename its streets as it sees fit, but does it make sense to throw over a pioneer Dallas family when the city has dozens of streets named, say, for trees?

This why the outcry against changing the name of Ross Avenue to Chavez Street, Blvd., Avenue or whatever.

There is no doubt the he (Chavez) was a great American hero. I greatly admire what he did for all workers and I have to say, I LOVE his stance on illegal immigration.

But why should a street named for a historic Dallas family have to be relegated into oblivion so that Chavez Street supporters can get what they want? They've been offered several other Dallas streets, and main streets too, not obscure little alleyways.

Chavez is no more deserving of having a street bearing his name than the Ross Family of Dallas is. Leave Ross Avenue as it is and accept a different street. We'll all be happy then. Their little march is in no way a more crucial event than the founding of the City of Dallas.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,962,643 times
GO HOME already!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration