Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
The reason that we need a moratorium on LEGAL immigration is because of the illegal alien invasion and to a lesser degree uncontrolled legal immigration. We gained 100 million people in 40 years due to legal immigrants and illegal aliens. If it were not for immigration-both legal and illegal we would have lost population. That is way too much for any country to absorb-even if every single one assimilated 100%.

We need a time out on everything. All illegals gone. Then once the time out is over-reevaluate exactly what level of legal immigration is needed in our country-what will benefit us but not at the detriment of US citizens and their jobs.

Just because we may want contolled legal immigration does not mean that we have a "problem" with legal immigrants-they are doing it the right way. The problem-if you can call it that-is with the our governement not regulating immigration so that it benefits it citizens and does not cost them jobs.
What we need are realistic solutions, and what you are suggesting is not realistic in this political environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
That is totally untrue. Tell me how I am flaunting the laws of this county, because that it an out and out lie.
If you steal, you violate our laws, and are labeled a thief. If you kill, you violate our laws, and are labeled a murderer. If you enter our country without adhering to the rules, you have violated our laws, and are labeled an illegal alien.

You flaunt the violation of our laws through your staunch support for those who flagrantly and arrogantly violate our laws. It's that simple.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Quote:
That is totally untrue. Tell me how I am flaunting the laws of this county, because that it an out and out lie.
Supporting illegal behavior is flaunting the laws of this country. Anyone applauding illegal immigrants for what they are doing and justifying it with "they are just making a better life for themselves" has no respect for law or order.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
What we need are realistic solutions, and what you are suggesting is not realistic in this political environment.
And you think rewarding illegal behavior for millions (which just encourages more) and providing them the same rights as Americans and legal immigrants is a realistic and just resolution? You're always saying something won't work but I have yet to see you offer up anything remotely tolerable for all sides in this debate.

Last edited by prim2007; 08-06-2008 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you steal, you violate our laws, and are labeled a thief. If you kill, you violate our laws, and are labeled a murderer. If you enter our country without adhering to the rules, you have violated our laws, and are labeled an illegal alien.

You flaunt the violation of our laws through your staunch support for those who flagrantly and arrogantly violate our laws. It's that simple.

None of the above imply of to me, and to the rest of your post I have not violated any law. You will notice that the people that you suggest are pro-illegal, do not suggest that we start a war with Mexico, shoot them as they come across the border, make their life a living hell...so I would say I'm on the good side.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Supporting illegal behavior is flaunting the laws of this country. Anyone applauding illegal immigrants for what they are doing and justifying it with "they are just making a better life for themselves" has no respect for law or order.

What do you consider SUPPORT for the illegals..and for the rest of your post might want to check with Border patrol.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
What do you consider SUPPORT for the illegals..and for the rest of your post might want to check with Border patrol.
From Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: 1sup·port

1: to endure bravely or quietly : bear
2 a (1): to promote the interests or cause of (2): to uphold or defend as valid or right : advocate <supports fair play> (3): to argue or vote for <supported the motion to lower taxes> b (1): assist, help <bombers supported the ground troops> (2): to act with (a star actor) (3): to bid in bridge so as to show support for c: to provide with substantiation : corroborate <support an alibi>
3 a: to pay the costs of : maintain <support a family> b: to provide a basis for the existence or subsistence of <the island could probably support three — A. B. C. Whipple> <support a habit>

Hope this helps since the word appears to be foreign to you. Now on the Border Patrol...hmm lets see how border patrol agents committing crimes (drugs, rape, murder, theft) compares to those committed by illegal immigrants and see who is more supportive of law and order.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:55 PM

can we say troll ...

Last edited by sassyone; 08-06-2008 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
There is a certain type of immigrant that most of us would agree should be allowed to come -- some people are born with a love for the USA, they very much want to be American, they feel American, they have no hesitancy about learning our language or our culture. These people tend to make excellent Americans -- they love this country -- and us. I think some people are just born in the wrong country, they fit better here and immigration resolves that issue for them.

We could drastically cut back immigration, no immigration for welfare program seekers, no family chain migration -- limit family sponsors to immediate family only (spouse and minor children) and only those family members they will support.

Cut back immigration that's being done for the purpose of slashing American wages. Make there be certain requirements for the immigrant -- a proven willingness to learn English and a proven ability to learn English. Interest in adapting to American culture should be a big criteria. Not big group immigration where practically entire villages arrive together -- that kind of thing invites non-assimilation. If they don't wish to live among anyone but "their own kind", then they don't need to be here.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
[/b]

None of the above imply of to me, and to the rest of your post I have not violated any law. You will notice that the people that you suggest are pro-illegal, do not suggest that we start a war with Mexico, shoot them as they come across the border, make their life a living hell...so I would say I'm on the good side.
So you believe we should do absolutely nothing when the Mexican military invades our country and kidnaps or kills American border agents? Just continue having no enforcement over the border, let the Mexican military continue working with smugglers and drug traffickers to keep control over it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration